Quarter Bag Silver Bonanza

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
While the teller was changing my full half dollar bag at one of my dump banks, she also had to pull off a couple of other full bags including one of the quarters. When she hoisted it onto their cart, a dull gray Washington face was looking right at me, pressed up against the edge of the bag.

64502941_2553425371356618_4495925676158746624_n.jpg

Quickly, before she sealed up the bag I pointed it out to her and asked if I could swap it out. She kindly obliged, and while she was fishing it out for me I eyeballed two more silver rims in the bag. It's one thing to see a single silver quarter, but once you start seeing multiples in one place it should get your attention! How many do you not see in the bag and are mixed in and buried by regular clad?

I asked her if I could just purchase the entire bag instead of making her dig through them for me, and I initially got the typical "we're not supposed to sell bags off of the machine," which I understand because some people may get upset if they pay $1000 for a bag and it ends up only containing $995. That's all part of the game, part of the gamble for me, and I was able to convince her to sell me the entire bag.

Once I had the bag home, I took a cursory glance and didn't notice anything more than I saw at the bank. As I started sorting through, one handful at a time, every once in a while I would hear a silver clinking and clanking around. I started pulling them, one after another, building a pile... I couldn't believe how many were in there!

64402719_192831954994132_4391363357307830272_n.jpg

Ended up with 37, including a dateless SLQ :icon_thumright: A few Lowell quarters in the bag as well, but nothing from West Point.

Ordinarily, I would never buy a quarter bag unless I saw something interesting since the find rate is so low. My guess is that there's also another partial bag on that machine that has a few more kicking around, but who knows. A good time to mention, it pays to be friendly with your tellers as sometimes they may bend the rules because they know you, like you, and trust you.

Happy hunting everyone!

Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
STUPID COIN MACHINE :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: WHAZZA MATTA:dontknow:,,,,not smart enough to reject the SILVER:tongue3::laughing9:

LORDY--- I would pitch a tent there and get that weasally teller to sell me every bag:laughing7:

could complain you were 3 coins short of a full roll of sillburr GW's:laughing9:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Avago: did you also inquire about the Dime bag, either the one that's still on the machine, or one that's in the vault waiting for pickup. Nice catch of AG qtrs, never saw so many in a bag, for sure a collection dump from some stacker, or estate of a deceased family member. A big CONGRATS.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great eyes, like Dozer said, get those dimes too!

Awesome score!!!!
-HH

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score! And great eye!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Sweet cull of silver. Looks like you need to head down there and take care of the teller with some cupcakes. Let her know how appreciative you are and hopefully, you are the first one she calls in the future.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
@dozer & @infowarrior - The only other bags she pulled in front of me was a cent bag and my halves. They may have had some dimes in the back but I didn't want to push my luck, especially when they were hesitant to sell me even just the one

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems that you’ve at least gotten your foot in the door... maybe you’ll be able to continue to buy bags from them.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on both the silver and the bag purchase. Quarters! This is a good example of why we should not make assumptions and pay attention (and maybe also to have good eyeglasses...).

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang that was your day great score

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread