What's your white whale?

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Call me Ismael.... What is the coin that you've been looking for but can't seem to find? Doesn't have to be rare or valuable or anything. Just the one that you want to find most that has eluded you. For me it's the '43-D Jefferson. For some reason I can't seem to find it. For others I'm sure the '70-D Kennedy will come up, maybe a Barber or seated coin. Maybe conditional rarities or errors. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Yes, that is my CRH white whale as well - not a modern comem, but one from the classic age of comems 1920's - 30's.

I figured the ‘70-D and old commemoratives would be on a lot of people’s lists. When I lived in Georgia I was fortunate to find a Stone Mountain in a bag of half’s. Very nice coin, strong AU, nice toning. Have also found 1982 BU and PF Washington 1/2’s.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Right now, I'd love to find a collection dump of like Indian Heads or older nickels (Buffalo/V/Shield). I've been fortunate and found a few wheat dumps but only 1 really had anything older than 40 in it... Either that, or just a REALLY old coin. Read on here about accidental roman coins, that sorta thing would be amazing to pull outta a bag. I'm in this for old ones and foreigners, but seeing how I only pull foreign coins every 3-4 bags, think my bank does too well to find a dump of those...

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I notice this was started in the coin roll hunting forum. Are you wondering about coins while roll searching or any coin, any where, any how?

A gold royal while MD'ing on the beach would be my find of choice!

scottw

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be sa-weeettt to find an old commen. I have found a clad one.
I once found an Indian rupee from the early 1900's that made me think 'Oh Boy!'
I looked up the mintage, which was in the many tens of millions.
Oops, not quite as rare as I first thought!
Much of the fun in this hobby is finding something unusual, and doing the research to identify it.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much everything. I can't find jack. Nothing nada.

Gotta up yer volume and get lucky. That’s all there is to it.

I’d love to find :

Cents: 1969S Dbl die (long shot obviously) but a 1909 VDB would be cool.
Nickels: 1975 D misplaced Mint mark
Dimes: Barber
Quarters: one of each of the new Ws
Halves: Seated
Dollars: any 90% silver dollar

Good luck all. Cool thread!

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I notice this was started in the coin roll hunting forum. Are you wondering about coins while roll searching or any coin, any where, any how?

A gold royal while MD'ing on the beach would be my find of choice!

Generally speaking I was talking CRH'ing.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess at the top of the list of the coins I "should" have found in the several hundreds of thousands of dollars in face value of halves I have searched is a Barber. The half I most wanted to find, that I thought I had at least a decent chance to find, was a Stone Mountain...it eluded me as well. I also have yet to find an Indian head cent (but have found 2 large cents - go figure), but never really did big volume cent searching. I wasn't a big nickel searcher either, but never found a Buffalo or V. No silver dollars of any type ever appeared either.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's highly unlikely but I dream of finding a copper 1983 cent. I separate and weigh every one, maybe one day I'll succeed.

ShinyPackRat

Oct 11, 2017
Montana, edge of nowhere
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still looking for my first silver quarter. Have found halves, dimes, war nickels.. no quarter yet. That'll be a day for celebration

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
It's highly unlikely but I dream of finding a copper 1983 cent. I separate and weigh every one, maybe one day I'll succeed.
That’s an excellent addition to the list and would be a great find. Any idea how rare these are / estimates of how many exist?

RichieSoprano

Jun 3, 2019
Maine, formerly NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot Bedliner on DD Coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
83 cents are extremely rare. Only a handful are known to exist. But...the 82 and 82D pennies also have had all coppers show up. I believe mint 83's are going for 18K.
Now my whale...a 1936 triple dot Canadian penny. 243 thousand dollars. 3 examples exist. I live in Maine and we use canadian money without batting an eye(don't tell Uncle Sam) and you just KNOW Richie looks at EVERY Canadian cent he runs across.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine is really strange. I started collecting, like a lot of younger kids, with Lincoln cents. My grandmother had gotten me started and this was back in the late '70s and early '80s. Since this was before the internet and because I was so young, most of my coins were finds from circulation or trades from others. The one that eluded me for the longest time was the 1962-P Lincoln. No idea why. Just could not seem to find one. Finally managed to snag one at a coin show in the mall (remember back when these were a thing) and got it from a dealer's misc. box for 25 cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread