What's your white whale?

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Call me Ismael.... What is the coin that you've been looking for but can't seem to find? Doesn't have to be rare or valuable or anything. Just the one that you want to find most that has eluded you. For me it's the '43-D Jefferson. For some reason I can't seem to find it. For others I'm sure the '70-D Kennedy will come up, maybe a Barber or seated coin. Maybe conditional rarities or errors. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 1652 Massachusetts Pine Tree shilling. I live too far south to likely find one.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walking/standing liberty, have found tons of seated, barber and so on. Even a Spanish cob from 1680 and a 1 duit from 1802. But the Walker is elusive for me.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
A 1652 Massachusetts Pine Tree shilling. I live too far south to likely find one.
Smokey - I meant more around CRH'ing and was laughing about the virtual impossibility of finding a pine tree shilling CRH'ing. But then I've found 2 gold coins and have seen numerous other people find ancient greek and roman coins so I suppose it's actually possible. That'd be hard fathom.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me it's a commemorative half dollar.

Found a 70-D, walkers, even a Barber half but never a comem.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TREE COIN WOULD BE MINE ALSO - I live in Ma and personally know 10 guys that have found one or more or pieces of them
Ive been in at least 6-7 fields that they have come from - I have found many coins that those guys have not from those fields
Rosa Americana. cobs and other uncommon colonials - every year up here about 6 to 12 tree coins or pieces (clipped ones)
are found in New england - so they can sometimes be more common than you think and those are only the ones that are
posted - who knows how many are found that are not shown or spoken about - i know a few guys that have them
that dont "show & tell" also

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a couple of years ago I was in a 1600s farm field and got into a small area that was producing small silver now and then
I had gotten some 1/2 dimes 1/2 reales and a canadian fish scale in the area - friend was on the other side of the field and
put his hands up - surrendering cause he was not getting anything - i waved him over and told him to slow down in area i was in - he went to the outside of my tracks and
5 mins. later he got a beat up 3 pence tree coin - i would have taken it - just to say i got one :BangHead:

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me it's the 70-D Kennedy. I have found lots of 1974-D DDOs, lots of Walkers, a handful of Barbers, and a handful of Commemoratives. But not that stinking 70-D!

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri

Are you looking for a 90% commem or just any commem? When i started hunting I actually found a ‘92-S Olympic commem before I found my first 40%er.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Still waiting to check off a solid roll of 90% halves and a dream box from the list...

I’m still looking for a solid 90% roll. I have found solid shotgun rolls ($20 rolls). Funny my 2nd best halves box was 55 silvers. My best box had 214. I’ve never had a box in the 100’s.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a few that would fall under that category to me...most are rare, some aren't. I've found comems, a 1996-W dime, barbers and seated (from some denominations), and even a couple ancient Roman coins. In general, these are the ones from the Seated Liberty period forward that I have either never found or am close to finishing a set from circulation. The one odd coin in the list is the large cent as it would likely only be found searching a different denomination...likely mixed in with half dollars.

CENTS:
* A large cent...any will do

* A flying eagle cent...any will do

* The 12 remaining wheat cents I have yet to find in circulation (in order from highest to lowest mintage):
1913-D, 1932, 1922-D, 1910-S, 1915-S, 1926-S, 1912-S, 1911-S, 1909-S, 1914-D, 1931-S, 1909-S VDB

NICKELS:
* A Shield nickel...any will do

DIMES:
* The 2 remaining silver Roosevelt dimes I have yet to find to complete the set from circulation: 1949-S, 1955

QUARTERS:
* A Seated Liberty Quarter...any will do
* A Barber Quarter...any will do
* A Standing Liberty Quarter...any will do

HALF DOLLARS:
* A Seated Liberty Half Dollar...any will do

* The 2 remaining Franklin Half Dollars I have yet to find to complete the set from circulation: 1955, 1958

There are many other coins on my wish/need list as well as many with a lot more value, but these would be the most desired purely to say I found an example of or that I found the complete set.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine is a SOLID roll of silver dimes (Rosies or mercs). I've pulled solid halves rolls last year, but still waiting on CWR AG dimes.

Buchsy

Oct 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
A Dream or Monster Box, i.e. $80+ in 90% - whether in halves or silver dollars. Also a roll of silver dimes and a roll of silver quarters.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, that is my CRH white whale as well - not a modern comem, but one from the classic age of comems 1920's - 30's.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you looking for a 90% commem or just any commem? When i started hunting I actually found a ‘92-S Olympic commem before I found my first 40%er.

I'd be happy with any.

The stuff I've found in half dollar slots baffles me - quarters, SBA dollars were not uncommon, found a St Jude token once, but never a comem.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've checked a few items off this year - commem, Morgan, barber half. Find solid rolls every year - 90% dimes, quarters, halves.

I think my white whale right now is the '39d Jefferson nickel and a gold coin.

ohp733

Oct 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites DFX, TRX, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sometimes include IH or buffs in a roll of cents or nickels, hopefully for starting someone else collecting

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I'd be happy with any.

The stuff I've found in half dollar slots baffles me - quarters, SBA dollars were not uncommon, found a St Jude token once, but never a comem.

That’s crazy to never have found one. Next time i’m In Vegas i’ll Spend a handful of clad commem’s trying to help out the local prospects.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread