Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at one of my pickup bank branches to get some CWRs of dimes. I always ask about loose halves or CWRs of halves as well. To my surprise, the teller told me they had a partial box of halves. Seems a customer ordered a box and only took 20 rolls and never came back for the rest. I said I'd take them all, sight unseen. When I got them, I saw why he had not returned for the rest of the box: they were all Dunbar rolls. I did buy them and like every other Dunbar roll I've searched, they had no silver. I'm guessing he didn't find anything either in his 20 rolls and knew from that and/or prior experience that these rolls have no silver - at least in this area. These are the only rolls on which I need to use wire cutters to cut the tight crimp, so I assume they are processed at a different coin sorter than other rolls and maybe that coin sorter removes all silver.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone found silver in Dunbar rolls?
2. Is taking only a sample of a box a fair way of reducing the number of coins a CRHer needs to handle and dump?

IMG_1114.jpg

Upvote 0

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve never seen a Dunbar roll. I figure “testing” a box by only buying a portion of the rolls doesn’t indicate whether it will be good or not. I suppose if you find silver in the test rolls, you’re more likely to find silver in the others. But, plenty of times I have not found silver until later on in the box. Once, the only silver half I found was in the last roll! Plus, I imagine the vault teller isn’t too happy ordering a box for a customer, only to have him/her buy part of the box and leave the rest.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
If handling an additional $250 is too much hassle, then perhaps this hobby isn't for you. Just buy them all. You will ruin it for yourself and others.

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If handling an additional $250 is too much hassle, then perhaps this hobby isn't for you. Just buy them all. You will ruin it for yourself and others.

I always buy the whole box. This is something I saw someone else do to avoid nearly certain skunk rolls. I took the remainder of the box even knowing - once I saw the wrappers, that the rolls would be no good based on past experience with them. And the vault teller appreciated it.

My weekly order is 3 boxes and I take them sealed. I don't know until I get home if they are Dunbar skunks. Sometimes I get other wrappers and they produce. Its a crap shoot. Sometimes its 3 boxes of skunk Dunbar rolls. For that reason, I started to pick up a few CWRs of dimes.

I'm very aware of how other CRHers ruin it for the rest of us and I go out of my way to avoid such practices. That's why I can't buy bags - others complained about being a couple of dimes short, so they stopped selling bags to everyone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve never seen a Dunbar roll. I figure “testing” a box by only buying a portion of the rolls doesn’t indicate whether it will be good or not. I suppose if you find silver in the test rolls, you’re more likely to find silver in the others. But, plenty of times I have not found silver until later on in the box. Once, the only silver half I found was in the last roll! Plus, I imagine the vault teller isn’t too happy ordering a box for a customer, only to have him/her buy part of the box and leave the rest.

Yes, I once also got the only silver coin in the last roll of a box. I've gone through 38 boxes of Dunbar rolls so that's a good sample size. I suspect others have done similar volume and have also concluded that these rolls have no silver - at least in this area. We have Dunbar armored trucks and I see them parked at Walmart, but the Dunbar wrapped coins come in the same style square boxes as the white paper with black lettering, and last year, Loomis white & yellow rolls all delivered by Brinks trucks. They are rolled differently, likely on different equipment and probably at different sorting centers. If the Dunbar rolls were easier to open, I would open and dump them at the coin machines rather than lug the boxes home first.

When I order boxes, I take what comes in and don't cut the tape until I get home. I really don't think the other poster read the original post before making false assumptions and accusations.

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://customerportal.brinksinc.com/en/web/brinks-dunbar-together/home

This helps to explain the Dunbar wrappers in boxes delivered to banks by Brinks trucks. Its not clear if this was an acquisition or a merger, but we noticed a big change in January when we started to get these rolls in boxes. Not one box (of 38) has produced a silver coin. Dunbar shows separate coin sorting facilities from Brinks on their website and the comparative evidence suggests they are removing silver. Looking back fondly to the days of Loomis rolls.

Has anyone found a silver coin in a Dunbar roll?

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it's a pretty bad idea to take a "sample" from a box. What if the box is loaded and you only 10 rolls... later that afternoon, another hunter stops by and snaps up the other 40 and you missed out.

As TxAg mentioned, I'll often go 10-15 rolls in a box before I start pulling silver out, even in good boxes sometimes. Sure, if you only grab 10 rolls, or even half, you might not find anything and save yourself from a bunch of other skunky rolls... but can you be sure there was nothing in the rest?

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, never got Dunbar rolls but theres no silver in any of my boxes anymore lol. Picking up only part of the box sounds like a great way to piss off the person ordering them for you. That said if I ask for halves and all they have is someones dump I feel them out, ask how many coins they need to ship out the coins, pop the trunk and oblige them. I don't like to dump at too many new places since that muddies up the water and you can't just go back to asking for a long time. That said I lost my good dump banks last year either to closures or bag service/ machine removal so the golden age of box hunting is in my rear view. It wasn't ever too great for me but I'm glad I got to experience a dream box or two.

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, never got Dunbar rolls but theres no silver in any of my boxes anymore lol. Picking up only part of the box sounds like a great way to piss off the person ordering them for you. That said if I ask for halves and all they have is someones dump I feel them out, ask how many coins they need to ship out the coins, pop the trunk and oblige them. I don't like to dump at too many new places since that muddies up the water and you can't just go back to asking for a long time. That said I lost my good dump banks last year either to closures or bag service/ machine removal so the golden age of box hunting is in my rear view. It wasn't ever too great for me but I'm glad I got to experience a dream box or two.

I agree. The vault teller was grateful that I took the remainder of that box of Dunbar rolls. If those darn tight rolls were even a little easier to open, I would have just driven them directly to my dump bank, but I didn't want to monopolize the coin machine. I took the box only for the good relations - maybe it will help me to get some more CWRs of dimes from that branch.

The shift away from good boxes occurred abruptly this past january when we stopped getting Loomis rolls and started getting these awful Dunbar rolls.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some day they will buy a magnet to keep the junk from getting rolled:BangHead::angry4::cussing::angry9:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never found anything in a Dunbar roll either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread