Teller alerts collector about old coin dump

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankfully, that collector was me. I been buying bags that come off of the coin counting machine at this bank for years, so the teller let me know he noticed a lot old old coins after an elderly couple were finished with an unusually large deposit. When I stopped in he sold me 3 bags of cents and told me he'd notify me as soon as the other denominations got full. I have finished 2 of the 3 bags and got 3387 wheats, 196 of which were pre '40. There weren't any key dates but most of them had mint marks, which is good. I don't normally buy the quarter bags but I did this time when he let me know they had filled up. Results - 52 silvers. I day later the dimes filled up - 113 silver rosies. I'm still anxiously waiting for the nickels and halves to fill. he did say he could see silver in the bag of halves. Yes, I did get some nice goodies for their break room. When I finish the third bag of cents I expect another 1000 wheats. Another interesting thing about the cents, so far there has been at least 1000 au 69s's looking brand new. I'll be looking at them closer later, to be sure!

Upvote 0

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
What a nice teller...Congratulations on the collection dump! Look forward to pics and the final final numbers.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG. Congrats on your good fortune. i was all excited today about finding a '62 silver quarter and '49 dime in the coinstar reject bin, but now...

OP
OP
S

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG. Congrats on your good fortune. i was all excited today about finding a '62 silver quarter and '49 dime in the coinstar reject bin, but now...

I know what you mean. I've been slogging along like that for a while, just finding a single silver here and there. I try to remember the big stuff people post about here and hope mine is coming tomorrow.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Some one puts you in the way of something you are after deserves a kind gesture in return.

Congrats on the silver , the future prospects of more silver , and the teller hookin you up.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the findings, smart teller to think of you in that respect.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
One heck of a score and it sounds like there will be more scores. Congrats! That is a really nice Teller that should be rewarded with some Doughnuts and maybe something collectible other than coins. You don't want the Teller to get into collecting coins and have them pull all the collection dump bags for themselves.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be inclined to give that teller something that she didn't have to share. Break room goodies are great if the entire staff helps you. When its one person's kind act, maybe a gift card to a local lunch/dinner place. Do you have a Panera in the area? Does she drink coffee? Maybe a starbucks gift card or a package of really good coffee? I like to learn a little about my tellers so I know what they like (and don't like).

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember reading either Outdoor Life or Field & Stream in the 60's-70's when they had a 1 page "This happened to me" with drawn illustrations. It was usually about animal attacks or falls down ravines, etc. This story is like a CRH version of that old "This Happened to Me" page.

It is a good reason to check and make sure your Teller has your current phone number. If you've had an account for decades, they may have an old landline number for you. Get the teller's business card, check to see if the number on it is the number he or she would be using to call you (rather than just the bank's general number) and add that to your contacts. It would be a shame to miss out on something like this because they could not reach you. Imagine going to the bank and hearing "We tried to reach you, but..." and missing the score of a lifetime.

OP
OP
S

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be inclined to give that teller something that she didn't have to share. Break room goodies are great if the entire staff helps you. When its one person's kind act, maybe a gift card to a local lunch/dinner place. Do you have a Panera in the area? Does she drink coffee? Maybe a starbucks gift card or a package of really good coffee? I like to learn a little about my tellers so I know what they like (and don't like).

Btw Friday was this tellers last day working at this branch. I know who is taking his position and am confident things will stay the same. I have everyone there trained to think of me when they think of coins.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sick .wow.great score

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw Friday was this tellers last day working at this branch. I know who is taking his position and am confident things will stay the same. I have everyone there trained to think of me when they think of coins.

One of my branch tellers left for greener pastures this spring. I brought her a going-away gift and a thank-you card/note. I think it is important to show some human kindness even if the recipient will no longer be in a position to do us favors. Sadly, her replacement is doing me no favors at all - which shows that the reason branches of a single bank vary so much is because their tellers vary so much.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those tellers are great...time for some coffee and candy for all. :occasion14:

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As sure as it seems, I would not wait for the halves to fill. Dump into the bag to fill it up.

I once poached a bag that had someone's name and phone number written on it. When I asked the vault teller if I could top off the half dollar bag and buy it, he said "I think we're saving that for somebody." I said, "Yeah, that's me." I had asked at that location before and they said it had to fill up before they could sell it. At the time, I couldn't fill it, so I came back. I figured that is what he meant when he said they were saving it.

Anyway, I filled and bought the bag. When I got to the car, I noticed that it had a name and phone number written on it. OOPS. There were WL, BF, JFK90%, and JFK40% halves in the bag. Not a dream, but a very good score.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If you know for sure there is silver , then TOP IT OFF AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

OP
OP
S

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally accumulated enough halves to top off the bag today. I found a bank with a $500 dollar box Monday (found a '64) and took it in but it didn't fill up. So I rounded up $283 more. It still didn't fill up. At this point I knew there weren't many halves in the bag to begin with. It took another $120 to fill it, telling me there was less than $100 worth of halves in it when I began to try to fill it. The teller who told me he saw silver, plus all the silver I had found earlier had me hoping for a lot more silver. But there were only 2, a '64 and a '45 Canadian. So whoever dumped all the good stuff didn't bring their halves. Oh, well, I'm not complaining.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread