3 Silvers out of 4 halves

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to bank late this afternoon - got some dimes ($85), nickels ($4), and pennies ($5) - all were a complete skunk

Until I asked if they had halves. Teller said that they don't have any rolls but she had $2 worth.

That $2 was well worth it and more than made up for the skunks on everything else

2 1964
1 1967
the other was a 1971 clad

halves 7-9-19.jpg

Upvote 0

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to bank late this afternoon - got some dimes ($85), nickels ($4), and pennies ($5) - all were a complete skunk

Until I asked if they had halves. Teller said that they don't have any rolls but she had $2 worth.

That $2 was well worth it and more than made up for the skunks on everything else

2 1964
1 1967
the other was a 1971 clad

View attachment 1731220

So far in 2019, I've purchased 83 loose halves from tellers (no customer-rolled halves so far) and have been rewarded with 19 silver (all 40%). Imagine that ratio from boxes!

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
So far in 2019, I've purchased 83 loose halves from tellers (no customer-rolled halves so far) and have been rewarded with 19 silver (all 40%). Imagine that ratio from boxes!

Yeah I am with you. I have gotten a number of halves this year from tellers directly, including about 5 or 6 90%ers (there is a prior post somewhere in here). I don't search boxes because I don't have a machine to dump them so I just can't do the volume of boxes that others on here do to get the silver. Of the handful of boxes I have gotten in the past (going back 15 years) I have always been skunked.

So I stick to CWR and loose halves.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice. In my area, the tellers know about 90% halves, but 40% halves are a good bet.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I am with you. I have gotten a number of halves this year from tellers directly, including about 5 or 6 90%ers (there is a prior post somewhere in here). I don't search boxes because I don't have a machine to dump them so I just can't do the volume of boxes that others on here do to get the silver. Of the handful of boxes I have gotten in the past (going back 15 years) I have always been skunked.

So I stick to CWR and loose halves.

Chatty tellers are nice with those CWRs and loose halves. My best branch for loose halves told me they come from a nearby liquor store. That is a positive. The vault teller from another bank told me they often have CWRs because "a customer goes through them and brings in lots of rolls after removing the silver..." - so I don't get halves from that bank.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Having posted the good teller finds from earlier in the week, I feel it is only fair to post some skunks.

Went into a Wells Fargo, got $50 in dimes, $6 in nickels, and $4 in cents - all a complete skunk - not even a common date wheat.

Asked for halves - they had $2.50. Maybe my luck from early in week would continue, but the $2.50 was this

5 really skunky halves8-)
skunk halves 7-12.jpg

Good luck to all

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Score nice finds I went to a bank about a month ago asked for some halves teller saisd I have about 10 but Im keeping these silver ones she had in her tray rrrr

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Score nice finds I went to a bank about a month ago asked for some halves teller saisd I have about 10 but Im keeping these silver ones she had in her tray rrrr

Did she also offer some salt for any open wounds? (would have hurt less...)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread