Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Dozer, you have asked for input in the past on the matter, but I would encourage you to buy a Charter Membership and sell on TNet Classifieds. When it comes to junk silver, we all know what the market value is. Selling to large bullion dealers will never get you full melt. Selling on TNet, there are buyers that pay melt.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_down is correct. The big guys will still lowball you, and you better have dozens of pounds of metal to get their attention.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When buying or selling I always do business at coin shows.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've still some $50 silver from the early 80's. I have zero plans to sell any, it'll all go to my kids. I probably have 40 lbs or more, much more. I need a stronger carry box to transport it......

I'm not worried, this was a lifetime accumulation, and the Hunt Brothers still screwed me early on. But I held on through all these years.

I also have a very strong investment in 12 gauge double 00 buck, so don't come up here looking to see it. I'll show you my "friends" :)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepseeker, you and I have some of the same friends, but I only have a few rolls. Not much. I've been downsizing for years.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Deepseeker, you and I have some of the same friends, but I only have a few rolls. Not much. I've been downsizing for years.

Smokey my friend, I should have downsized years ago, but really never saw any reason to divest. I'm still believing, after all these years = there will be a comeback.

Duh!!! Wasn't I stupid enough from the beginning just to believe the Hunt Brothers?

Edit: There'll be people up here for years following my passing just looking for the goodies they'll never find.

I have told my kids where to look.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have absolutely nothing hidden. For real. The good stuff is at the safe deposit box at the bank, so the bad guys won't get that. Heck, there's not enough here to support even a low end druggie! I switched from precious metals to decorative dishes (old, old ones) a long time ago. The mineral collection is 95% gone, Rev War stuff 90% gone, shed is empty except for 3 tools and a ladder, attic is empty, basement has a few tools, a couple ice chests, a few old chairs, and you could play blind man's bluff and not run into anything down there. Ididn't include the monitored CCTV cameras, secondary monitored security system, 5 cats to trip people and the fire breathing dragon and moat outside.:notworthy:

Upstairs, every few days a couple more useless items go. I haven been getting some nice books though.

BTW it took 4 YEARS to get that dragon big enough to do the fire thing! And it eats a lot!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Smokey, one of my greatest "traits" over the years has been paranoia. In the mid 60's both my stepfather and his stepfather advised me to "accumulate". I've followed that advice all through these years. I've certainly been a dumbsh*t many times along the way - but they also advised me to put it away "until needed someday".

For simple folk, they were certainly correct - after all, they'd witnessed the depression. They "knew" money may be worthless someday.

And, that projection is still true to date.

I've never been the brightest bulb, but they taught me paranoia they'd gained through the depression. I was smart enough to believe.

HOPEFULLY :)

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for the pros & cons from any of you hunters out there that have physically dealth with? ( I.e. J M Bullion, Apmex, Provident etc ).
As you all know, I have to start dumping & selling off my silver & collections due to economic reasons, so I'm hoping to find where I can get the best BUCK possible.

As others have stated, you will do better financially selling directly to the consumer rather than going through a middle man. I think its very likely that you could likely sell all you want on this very forum. Also, I haven't looked in a few years, but you used to be able to net close to melt (even after ~13% in selling/PayPal fees) on ebay as silver tended to bring over melt price in auctions. Don't hold me to that one still being true today - I haven't checked, nor do I even know if the fees are still ~13%.

Another thing to consider is safety. When selling directly to someone (unless you know them) you deal with the possibility of being robbed, followed home and robbed later, and/or various other possible bad scenarios and outcomes. Even if you're shipping the silver, the package must include a return address. If you go this route, take every precaution you can think of and ask on here for more. Good luck.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I've sold to Provident a number of times. Easy transactions, firm buy prices. Very close to spot normally. You can call and in the next 5 minutes have a locked-in purchase price, ship them out, and wait for money to show up.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always hope and believe silver will go up so I buy silver bars when I have some extra cash and put them in my safety deposit box I have many from over the years for my kids 30 years from now ish I pay about 21 dollars for the apmex or Mattheys bars and if you look on ebay they sell thousands of them if you posted on the
charter classifieds 1 let me know B Im sure you would find many people willing to buy we all save silver and spend lots of time looking for it and we invest in it also. Tommy

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have absolutely nothing hidden. For real. The good stuff is at the safe deposit box at the bank, so the bad guys won't get that. Heck, there's not enough here to support even a low end druggie! I switched from precious metals to decorative dishes (old, old ones) a long time ago. The mineral collection is 95% gone, Rev War stuff 90% gone, shed is empty except for 3 tools and a ladder, attic is empty, basement has a few tools, a couple ice chests, a few old chairs, and you could play blind man's bluff and not run into anything down there. Ididn't include the monitored CCTV cameras, secondary monitored security system, 5 cats to trip people and the fire breathing dragon and moat outside.:notworthy:

Upstairs, every few days a couple more useless items go. I haven been getting some nice books though.

BTW it took 4 YEARS to get that dragon big enough to do the fire thing! And it eats a lot!
It’s interesting that many still don’t trust the banks for safe keeping. It could be because break-ins to bank safe deposits still occur, legal or not. Some would feel safer keeping their valuables inside a common gym locker, than in a bank.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the charter membership and selling here. I am a buyer of these things but have got away from buying from ebay and similar places. Keep me posted if you decide to sell here....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Anybody see a "Sell" signal? I don't.

In the mean time I still occasionally dig silver - adding to the pile. We don't dig in the dirt for clad - that adds up too, but we tingle with delight when we dig something that comes out looking sweet and clean :)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It’s interesting that many still don’t trust the banks for safe keeping. It could be because break-ins to bank safe deposits still occur, legal or not. Some would feel safer keeping their valuables inside a common gym locker, than in a bank.

I personally have 50 acres and a shovel :)

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I admire your discipline in downsizing, Smokey! We moved two years ago to get away from a fracked gas refinery and that is when I saw how much junk I had accumulated over the years. My love for tools can be illustrated by my collection of snow shovels and kayaks (now down to only 3). I actually enjoy the sense of peace when shoveling snow. I have snow shovels for heavy snow, others for light snow, pushing rather than lifting snow, back-saving designs, and shovels that won't gouge wood decks. Having had favorite shovels discontinued in the past, I have duplicates of my favorites "just in case".

When we moved, I was reminded of Thoreau's quote: "We don't own our possessions - they own us".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread