Another Bank Teller Anecdote

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted a thread last week about a call I received from the bank that orders my weekly half dollar box.

Let me preface this post with some background info ...

Every time I pick up or dump halves, I ask the tellers if they have any more halves (standard procedure for many of us CRHers) and also if they have any 'big' dollar coins.

It's not that I think I'll get any silver dollars, but because my wife and I always tip the waitstaff and bartenders in cash and I like to use Ike dollars (and two dollar bills) as part of the tip. Typically it's one two and a couple of Ikes, not the entire tip. They'll remember us as good tippers who tip in cash and use 'strange' money.

Yesterday, I got another call from the same bank : an elderly woman came in with a lot of big dollar coins and a few half dollars -- would I be interested?

I asked how many dollar coins. Answer : 137.

I thought about it for a few seconds and then said that I'd be there shortly.

My logic is that I don't want these calls to stop and that one day I might hit the mother lode.

Upon arriving, sure enough it was all Ike dollars and a dozen clad Kennedys.

I asked the teller what he would have done with the Ikes had I not taken them off his hands. He just gave me a forlorn look and said he would have to dump them in his drawer and deal with them.

Looks like I've got a lot of tipping ahead of me.

Upvote 0

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I one time used all Ike’s at a convenience store which is owned by a Hindu family . The bill was around 10$ so I gave ten Ike’s she looked at me like I was crazy pushed them back at me and said “ no no no only American sir” I said it is US currency. She had to get other people to look them over before excepting them ! It’s always fun to see people’s reactions to odd money !!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of Americans dont recognize them either lol

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I got a couple of Ikes from a teller at my branch about 5 months ago.
A week later, same branch, different teller, there were 5 of them in the coin tray. I bought them all.

Just because. Teller said she had no use for them, lol.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I ask for halves and a teller only had one. I saw two Ike's in her tray and asked to buy them and she said they are spoken for. I gave her a buck and she handed over the half dollar along with the two silver quarters I asked for at the bottom of her tray. She said I think these are silver and handed them over....

Always interesting to see what a teller deems valuable.... She was in her 60s

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I was spending my Ikes at the 7-11 because the cashier was so nice. She would lay one or two of the Ikes on the register and would sell them for $2 bucks each. Said she used the extra money to buy her smokes....and gas for her car.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread