Double decker

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
My finds are much better in the Brinks double-stack. No banks in my area are serviced by Brinks anymore. Loomis has a monopoly. So I'm stuck until the corporate banks renegotiate their contracts.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll have skunk streaks with both. The single layer rectangular boxes here have wrappers with yellow trim and are Loomis rolls. The square double stacked boxes are from Brinks and have black trimmed rolls. My local bank sells me the Brinks boxes. Occasionally, I find brown Dunbar rolls in Brinks boxes and they are awful. Loomis and Brinks have their own sorting centers and contracts with banks and businesses. I can get Loomis boxes at one branch of one of my banks - but it is 30 miles away and not worth the gas used by my pickup.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I still tend to think that these big coin processors can extract Silver at the stroke of an electrical switch on their coin sorters/counters. This is what I've been saying about 5 years ago when a guy I know works for Cummings coin machines and he was telling me that these new machines will be hitting the business community. I think the time is here.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still tend to think that these big coin processors can extract Silver at the stroke of an electrical switch on their coin sorters/counters. This is what I've been saying about 5 years ago when a guy I know works for Cummings coin machines and he was telling me that these new machines will be hitting the business community. I think the time is here.

I'm wondering if that is why my silver from bank boxes has dried up in the last few months. Apart from that, I'm the opposite from Diver-Down. Around here, historically I've had much better luck with the Loomis boxes (single layer, rectangle, no holes in the bottom. The boxes with holes in the bottom are from NF String - yack!). Brinks double stack with black wrappers as Meg describes are my second worst (or second best depending on your perspective, lol). My major box scores have come from the Loomis boxes. Granted, I search them much more than the other 2, but for good reason. My best boxes had the following silver counts in chronological order since I started CRH 2-1/2 years ago: 49, 24, 18, 13, 55, 29, 15, 56, 37, 71, 75, 12, 52, 17, 12, 11, 10, 20, 22, 10, 13, 32, 23, 33, 16, 12, 60. I've only listed the boxes with double digit silver.Oh, and all those I listed were Loomis boxes! I have not had a double digit box from Brinks or NF String. And to Dozer's comments, that last good box of 60 was back in May. Nothing close to double digits since.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year, we got Loomis rolls inside the square double-stack boxes that are more typical of Brinks. They were the best rolls we have searched but there was a lot of variability. Despite the variability, the skunk streaks were not as long nor as soul crushing as this year. This January, we started getting some square boxes with brown trim Dunbar wrappers. They were awful. I have found a single 40% half in over 30 boxes of Dunbar rolls. Mostly we get square boxes with the black trim Brinks wrappers and have not seen a Loomis roll in a square box since December of 2018. Long skunk streaks are common, but occasionally, there is a good box. Last week, after a long Brinks skunk streak, I got 10 silvers from one box + my first ever Booker T. Washington/George Washington Carver 1952 commemorative. The week before, I found one branch of a bank where I have an account that was willing to order boxes for me. When they came in, I was happy to see the rectangular single layer Loomis boxes, but they were both skunks. That could be a matter of sample size, but since that branch is 30 miles away, I'm reluctant to waste gas going there for skunks. Who knows? These coin handling companies have their own sorting centers (Loomis has a video showing the operation on their website). I wonder if the occasional good box coincides with an employee silver sniper who went on vacation or was out sick. I haven't yet seen the String wrappers for halves, but in this area, the String wrappers of dimes are all new UNC 2018 or 2019 dimes.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread