LAST CALL for pre '82 copper cents.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
In my liquidation of my collection & silver stacks will be my disposal of nearly $200 of hoarded copper cents ('59-'81). I'm trying to find someone locally to buy them for copper investment purposes, but no one as yet. If anyone knows of any takers let me know., current coinflation for a single copper cent is about $.0177/each. Just wish that my local scrap metal yard would take them in as COPPER, but as it is, it's still against the law to melt copper cents. All else fails, I'll be flooding the local market with a he** of a lot of copper cents.
Your comments........DozerD

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Worst hedge I ever made. Sat on bricks of copper for decades. I was able to sell them via Craigslist about a month ago. I think the negotiated price was 1.4 cents/each. What a waste of space and time.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
In my liquidation of my collection & silver stacks will be my disposal of nearly $200 of hoarded copper cents ('59-'81). I'm trying to find someone locally to buy them for copper investment purposes, but no one as yet. If anyone knows of any takers let me know., current coinflation for a single copper cent is about $.0177/each. Just wish that my local scrap metal yard would take them in as COPPER, but as it is, it's still against the law to melt copper cents. All else fails, I'll be flooding the local market with a he** of a lot of copper cents.
Your comments........DozerD
I forgot to close my blast furnace door once, coincidently, it was the same time that I forgot to remove my penny collection from inside the furnace, must have been alzhiemers or something, :laughing7:

Rum Tide

Apr 28, 2019
The Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Yukon Coin Hustler II, Vibra-Tector 740, Pulse Dive (2), Equinox 600, Equinox 800 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bury them in your backyard and forget about them.

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Diver that’s pretty awesome at 1.4x with no fees. That’s better than you’d do on eBay. I’ve got about $1k worth in my basement that I’ve started dumping because I can’t sell them

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Diver that’s pretty awesome at 1.4x with no fees. That’s better than you’d do on eBay. I’ve got about $1k worth in my basement that I’ve started dumping because I can’t sell them

Thank goodness it's concrete ,otherwise you'd be replacing floor joist beams. What would a $1000 in copper cents weigh out at? 651 lbs per coinflation.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know a local dealer who buys copper cents at 1.1 x face. He fills ammo cans and stores them in a shipping container like they load into railroad cars. His goal is to hoard 1 million cents ($10,000 worth). He’s been at it for many years. I think he’s pretty far along towards his goal. It’s kind of a prank on his kids as he is willing the whole hoard to his them when he dies, lol. I wonder how many are Wheats. He doesn't search them, but likely the people he buys them from are collectors and have already searched them!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

If I remember at the time coinflation had them at 1.8/each. So I posted on CL for 1.6. This guy offered 1.2, and I told him it wasn't worth the hassle to meet a stranger and that I was just going to take them to the bank at the end of the month. (They were all rolled and in the boxes - hence bricks.) He came back a week later with 1.3. I told him at 1.4 they are his otherwise he can buy them on eBay and worry about busted packages or search for them himself. We met the next day, and I've never been happier to rid myself.

My best deal that I ever worked was my common wheats (40's/50's). Some guy in Chicago wanted them bad. I had about 42,000 from 30 years of searching. He bought them for 9 cents/each. That was 2 years ago.

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow that’s pretty crazy. Diver if your contact wants more at 1.4 ea, I know someone who has $1000 worth to sell [emoji16]

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whudd aboot ERRORS??????:tongue3:--- just one CUD would yield 2,000X face:happysmiley:
a clip at 300X face, an O/C at 200X, nice greaser at 500X, LAM at 300X, ----- 1.2 would then be a good deal for the plain janes

some cents are worth money.... which is just as good as cash:occasion18::laughing9:

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Same question as coppers, but I'm now going to return to the wild all my 2009-P&D DIMES, except I will keep the very best looking ones BU's to make only a complete roll of each. Should I keep or DUMP them?

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Can you donate them for a tax writeoff?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Same question as coppers, but I'm now going to return to the wild all my 2009-P&D DIMES, except I will keep the very best looking ones BU's to make only a complete roll of each. Should I keep or DUMP them?

Keep a roll for each mint as it will only cost you $10. But don't expect them to ever be worth anything beyond FV in your lifetime. Get rid of the rest and forget the 2 rolls that you keep for your heirs.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Should have NO PROBLEM picking out 50 BU's of each, out of about two boxes each.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I just unloaded roughly ~$3,500 f.v. of copper cents for 1.3x, and some more canadian copper cents for 1.7x. There are buyers out there if you look and work hard enough at it. Best of luck!

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Omega where did you sell them? eBay? Or craigslist?

I had them posted on eBay for a few days, someone contacted me with interest in a large quantity, at which point we began communication outside of eBay and finalized the deal as such. eBays fees are such a killer now a days with such small margins on certain items.

ShinyPackRat

Oct 11, 2017
Montana, edge of nowhere
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank goodness it's concrete ,otherwise you'd be replacing floor joist beams. What would a $1000 in copper cents weigh out at? 651 lbs per coinflation.

Funny you mention this, the bin I keep my coppers in has started to collapse in on itself a little bit..

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Omega- between eBay fees and shipping (which has bumped up this year) its not worth doing for sure!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Omega- between eBay fees and shipping (which has bumped up this year) its not worth doing for sure!

That is the reason why I posted on CL. I would have sold them quicker on eBay, but it would have cost. I just kept renewing the post until a buyer contacted me. I wish FB would allow coin sales as the Marketplace gets more traffic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread