Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to 2 banks today -

Bank 1: got $40 in dimes, $6 in nickels, and $4 in pennies
Asked for halves, they had $7

Got a 1964 and a 1941
Rest were clad from the 1970s. Pic only shows $6.50 because I spent one before I got home.

halves 8-2.jpg

Bank 2 - got $30 in dimes and $2 in pennies. They had $20 in CWR halves and those were a skunk.

Aside from 6 common date wheats, all the other coins were a skunk

For the year, searched $851 in halves so far, and found 29 silvers: 17 were 40% and 12 were 90%. Most of my finds this year have been from teller trays.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
I always sneak peeks at their trays when I stand there.....

Yeah me too, although in many cases, the tray of coins is either in a drawer or hidden from view. In the past, I have seen a silver dime or quarter in the tray and I have asked for it, and they have given them to me. A few times, I thought I eyeballed a silver quarter, but it was Canadian - I bought it anyway.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is fantastic success when compared to boxes. Do you think being in a high population area helps with loose halves and CWRs? Do you suspect some CWRs are the rejects from other CRHers?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw 5 or 6 silver halves tellers says I can sell you some halves but these silver ones are mine

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw 5 or 6 silver halves tellers says I can sell you some halves but these silver ones are mine

That stinks. Some tellers snipe silver - but leaving coins in a tray in plain sight and saying they are "not for sale" is like teasing you. I would even consider changing banks if that happened to me and telling them that's the reason.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that is fantastic success when compared to boxes. Do you think being in a high population area helps with loose halves and CWRs? Do you suspect some CWRs are the rejects from other CRHers?

I think being in a high population area is an advantage because of the turnover and availability of coins - which means I don't necessarily need boxes. Now, my total silver take is much lower than others here who search boxes, but the percentage is higher. I only search loose and CWR, so over time I can search some volume. I have never had any luck with boxes and I can't dispose of the coins that easily. After TD Bank took away the counters, I have to re-roll everything.

A decent amount of the CWRs that I have searched lately I suspect have been from other CRHers. Now I have to make assumptions here and make a "bet". When I ask for halves, if the bank has a lot of rolls, I start off by buying $20 or so - if I am handed MWRs that were re-wrapped (one-side folded down), I then know another CRHer was there - and I assume any more halves the bank has are from the other CRHer.

If the rolls are real CWR, and if I get skunked, I will go back the next day or two and get another $20 or $30. If I get the same type of rolls and they are also skunks, I begin to assume that they are from a CRHer. Now is where this gets subjective - I then assess the coins - so if they are mainly in good condition from the 1970s/1980s, I make the assumption that they are not from a CRHer, but from someone who had them for a long time and turned them in. In this case, I go back and ask for the rest of the rolls.

If I get silver in any of the initial rolls I am handed, I walk right back in and ask for the rest of what they have.

I am sure I have left some silver on the table at some point in the past, but I have no regrets. I don't want to get saddled with hundreds of $ of halves that I then have to dump (without a coin counter to do so). I also try to keep it somewhat efficient.

Today, I got $9.50 in loose halves and they were all skunks.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other

Yeah I hate when that happens. Sometimes, when I get loose halves (I can't see them) and I hear silver as the teller is digging through the container in the drawer, and then I don't get any.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have only been seeing rewrapped box dumps. All lightly marked, $70 at one branch, $80 at the next, $100 at the next. I buy them all up and lump them together and dump them at the last bank on the route still in that guys turf lol. It sure makes you irritated. If you dump $500-1000 the bank may get irritated but at least they ship out the coins and you don't have to keep seeing your dumps all over. Next time I'll rewrap some in fresh paper for the dumper to re buy and they'll feel like they are finding fresh halves. Yay. My better banks have gotten the sniper fever so they may become dump banks for a while. I am down to one box every other week or three. I am almost over the addiction. Now if I can just go without finding any silver for a while I think I can quit.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave up earlier this spring. Might start later but I am tired of the looks from hell from the tellers.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have only been seeing rewrapped box dumps. All lightly marked, $70 at one branch, $80 at the next, $100 at the next. I buy them all up and lump them together and dump them at the last bank on the route still in that guys turf lol. It sure makes you irritated. If you dump $500-1000 the bank may get irritated but at least they ship out the coins and you don't have to keep seeing your dumps all over. Next time I'll rewrap some in fresh paper for the dumper to re buy and they'll feel like they are finding fresh halves. Yay. My better banks have gotten the sniper fever so they may become dump banks for a while. I am down to one box every other week or three. I am almost over the addiction. Now if I can just go without finding any silver for a while I think I can quit.

Well now you've done it! As soon as you think you have had enough & you're mentally prepared to quit, that's exactly the time when you find a decent box and it lures you back down the path to the dark side and then back into the CRH vortex...

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave up earlier this spring. Might start later but I am tired of the looks from hell from the tellers.

If you can get loose halves or CWRs, I think that is a better route to silver than boxes. And you've had great success with that in the past too.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was given the go ahead from the doctor to run amok, and I've been doing road trips and Indian artifacts so far. Next two days I have an archaeological dig.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do people not keep those including the tellers

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was given the go ahead from the doctor to run amok, and I've been doing road trips and Indian artifacts so far. Next two days I have an archaeological dig.

Its so rare that we get to see the medical term "run amok" used correctly. Good show and good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread