Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't done this since about the first week of June, but drove to a bank for a box of quarters. As I was there I saw a lady, probably a merchant, deposit just over $100 in change.

When i got to to the teller I first asked for the "big" dollars and halves. They had 6 Ikes, I haven't looked at them yet and 4 rolls of halves. Nothing good in the halves.

I then asked for the coins the lady has just brought in and got them all, plus some extra quarters.

The lady's small stash had one 1957. It's in great shape and may have been part of the Great American Coin Hunt, as it hasn't been in circulation long.

IMG_0641.JPG

Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Smokey! Sure didn't hurt to ask!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A silver quarter is so much harder to find in a roll than a silver dime or half. I look back on the days of coin shooting 35 years ago when we could dig a dozen or more silver dimes and quarters in a day and realize how spoiled I got with finds.

Congrats on that nice one!

Last edited:

SpareSomeChange

Aug 17, 2019
The 3rd Planet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice.

I've been collecting coins since i was a kid. I've watched people opening roll after roll on Youtube. I always thought it was a nice gamble and would be cool to try but thought what a waste when you're stuck with all those other normal coins. It just now hit me...it's currency, you can take it back to the bank and get money back.
Wow. It should be illegal to be this stupid...

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice.

I've been collecting coins since i was a kid. I've watched people opening roll after roll on Youtube. I always thought it was a nice gamble and would be cool to try but thought what a waste when you're stuck with all those other normal coins. It just now hit me...it's currency, you can take it back to the bank and get money back.
Wow. It should be illegal to be this stupid...

Its not quite that simple. Rule #1 of coin roll hunting (CRH) is you never dump at your pick-up bank. Doing so ruins it for yourself and others. Most people who do CRH have several bank accounts with pick-up and dump banks (or credit unions with coin machines).

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dumped everything today. My credit union has a free machine. I take cash out of my credit card there, get the coins, and a day later pay it off.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a dumping kind of day! Took a truckload of recyclables and trash to the dump and then stopped at my credit unions to dump & cash in $400 at one and $370 at the other. I always keep a plastic bag of change to make up for the rejected coins so the dollar amount comes out nice and even. The coins came from my regular pick-up bank last week. It was too hot to do much of anything else outside today but the T-storms have cooled things down a bit.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to Sandy Point State Park, where detecting is allowed 6-9 am this time of year. Lots of change, enough sinkers and fishing rigs for whole season and what might be a colonial button, but I'm not sure. I left at 8:30.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to Sandy Point State Park, where detecting is allowed 6-9 am this time of year. Lots of change, enough sinkers and fishing rigs for whole season and what might be a colonial button, but I'm not sure. I left at 8:30.

I should do that too. My state park "golden age pass" gets me in for free. Maybe next week. Were you hunting wet sand? I don't know why fishing sinkers would be up in the dry sand...

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fishing sinkers were WAY up in the dry sand. Toys, a working flashlight, all kinds of nice stuff. I find more in the dry than wet. I talked to a couple guys, one with an Equinox 800, he only got a little change in the wet sand, and a guy with an Excalibur in the water. He had nothing, and was quite disgusted.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fishing sinkers were WAY up in the dry sand. Toys, a working flashlight, all kinds of nice stuff. I find more in the dry than wet. I talked to a couple guys, one with an Equinox 800, he only got a little change in the wet sand, and a guy with an Excalibur in the water. He had nothing, and was quite disgusted.

I think that place is hit pretty hard. I never understand sinkers way up in the dry sand. The only reason IMO to hunt there is for jewelry.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad year for jewelry it seems. One guy I saw last week said he came four times a week.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad year for jewelry it seems. One guy I saw last week said he came four times a week.

He must be a local. There was a very active club that met at the Glen Burnie library. I went a few times and their members found a lot of jewelry there. My old club met in LaPlata at the library. It finally disbanded in the mid-90's after a good 10 year run. At every single meeting, at least one person popped in asking if we were there for AA.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is one local club. The clientele coming to the park in the summer changed a few years ago, and the newer folks apparently don't lose as much jewelry, and most of the jewelry I have found is aluminum, stainless or plated junk.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is one local club. The clientele coming to the park in the summer changed a few years ago, and the newer folks apparently don't lose as much jewelry, and most of the jewelry I have found is aluminum, stainless or plated junk.

That's a diplomatic way of describing the change of "clientele" in the park. The "Diamonds in the Surf" duo did well there long ago.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread