Halves : More (less?) than a skunk box

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This week's Loomis box not only contained no silver, but one of the halves wasn't even a half dollar.

In boxes, the only other foreign coins I've found masquerading as halves were two British pennies.

This coin is 30.6 mm in diameter, thickness of 2.1 mm, and a mass of 11.25 grams -- composition is 'stainless steel' (I couldn't find any more specific breakdown of the alloy).

A clad U.S. half checks in at 30.6 mm in diameter, thickness of 2.15 mm, and a mass of 11.34 grams.

Attachments

• ecuador 50 centavos obverse.jpg
    ecuador 50 centavos obverse.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 62
  • ecuador 50 centavos reverse.jpg
    ecuador 50 centavos reverse.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't found that coin from Ecuador yet, but have found several from Panama, Columbia, Kenya (brass 10 cents), British large cents. All the same diameter as a US half.

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
This week's Loomis box not only contained no silver, but one of the halves wasn't even a half dollar.

In boxes, the only other foreign coins I've found masquerading as halves were two British pennies.

This coin is 30.6 mm in diameter, thickness of 2.1 mm, and a mass of 11.25 grams -- composition is 'stainless steel' (I couldn't find any more specific breakdown of the alloy).

A clad U.S. half checks in at 30.6 mm in diameter, thickness of 2.15 mm, and a mass of 11.34 grams.

Ecuador uses the US$ as its currency - they bagged the Sucre many years ago. Prior to using actual US coins, they made these in similar sizes of US coin denominations. Eventually you will find the 1c, 5c, 10c and 25c. I found alot of these when TD Bank had counting machines as they would get caught in the magnet. You will notice that all the coins are dated 2000 for all the denominations. There were some 1c also dated 2003.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread