Do enders predict more silver success?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Do enders predict more silver success?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    2386 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Do enders predict more silver success?

Picked up 2 Brinks boxes this afternoon and opened the first box. I had some help from my usual assistant. She sniffed out a silver ender that turned out to be a 1966 and an impaired proof

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1307.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	1745041

Upon removing the top 25 rolls, found a reverse ender that turned out to be a 1964 and that exposed this Wender in the bottom layer of rolls, so 3 total enders in box 1

Name:	IMG_1308.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	1745044

Upon starting to open rolls, I came across the Elvis half and knew this box would be no "Hound Dog" and wished "Don't be Cruel". The Elvis half had me "All Shook Up" but I pushed on, thinking "It's Now or Never"

Name:	IMG_1311.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	1745046

The rest of the box produced 5 Walkers, 1 Franklin, 2x1964, 1x1965, 2x1966, 1x1967, 1x1968 and 1x1969, so 14 silver in all. Plus a 1987-D and 4 impaired proofs

Name:	IMG_1310.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	1745047

After the first box, I knew there would be no "Heartbreak Hotel" tonight. "Suspicious Minds" about box 2 - it produced 1 1966 half with an old tape mark across the front.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Aug 21, 2019 at 08:06 PM.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

us
    Sep 2015
    Montana
    269 times
    Thatís an amazing box in my opinion. Have done a few thousand dollars in halves and have never found anything older than the kennedys.
    Megalodon likes this.

us
    Feb 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Whites, MXT.
    4743 times
    Well at very least, a silver ender is one you know you got ! At least it strongly suggests that the coins making up your box , have not been silver culled by a machine that has that capability .
    Megalodon and Greastart like this.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    2386 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentium View Post
    Well at very least, a silver ender is one you know you got ! At least it strongly suggests that the coins making up your box , have not been silver culled by a machine that has that capability .
    The only negative about a silver ender is the circular scratch left by the roll crimping machine. I haven't had the scratch ruin a valuable coin yet, but on a W.L. half, it goes right across Miss Liberty's head. This one got a small gouge on the head, but it was well-worn anyway.

- Mark Twain

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    2386 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Holt0222 View Post
    That’s an amazing box in my opinion. Have done a few thousand dollars in halves and have never found anything older than the kennedys.
    Thanks Holt0222, Five Walkers in one box is my personal best. I got 5 spread out in three boxes two weeks ago. I've yet to find a Barber in a box - although I found two Barber dimes while dumping at my credit unions - one in the trash can and one in the machine.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Aug 21, 2019 at 09:22 PM.
    Sleepy Holow likes this.

- Mark Twain

us
    Sep 2015
    Montana
    269 times
    Since I just moved I am thinking of stopping by my local bank and trying the coin hunting again since Iím in a larger area now.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    2386 times
    A more dense population with more banks means greater opportunities for loose coins and CWRs - where the % of old silver is much better than in boxes. In a rural area such as mine, ordering boxes is necessary. I've had some very long skunk streaks.

I haven't been back since the mid-1980's, but the place where I saw the most banks was Victoria TX. I've wondered if there are some CRH'ers doing well there!
    Greastart likes this.

- Mark Twain

us
    Feb 2013
    Expanding Operations
    Never used one, but am interested
    417 times
    CRHing
    You had me at Wender...you really "Can't Help Falling in Love" with this box!
    NoThisIsPatrick and Megalodon like this.

Dec 2014
    Far North Corner of CA
    AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
    1170 times
    I'm learning
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I'd say you have answered your own question. However, like always, there are exceptions and past performance is not indicative of future results.
    Megalodon likes this.
    An Ode
    To William Jefferson Clinton

He smoked but didn't inhale
    Poked, but didn't impale
    Made aware of the dress
    He was forced to confess
    A snail can't deny his own trail

us
    Oct 2011
    351 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Very nice score!

Dec 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Garrett Ace 250
    163 times
    Although the actual results will vary, if you look at both ends of all rolls, that is 10% of the box. In theory, if the silver is scattered equally randomly throughout the box, you should get 10x that count in silver halves in the box. In actuality, the percentage only works out once you average in many boxes as some boxes will have more enders than they should and some will have less.
    Avago, TxAg and Megalodon like this.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    2386 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GMan00001 View Post
    Although the actual results will vary, if you look at both ends of all rolls, that is 10% of the box. In theory, if the silver is scattered equally randomly throughout the box, you should get 10x that count in silver halves in the box. In actuality, the percentage only works out once you average in many boxes as some boxes will have more enders than they should and some will have less.
    Great point! So if a 10% sample of a box of 1000 produces 3 silver enders, then the remaining 900 coins should produce, on average, 27 silvers for a box total of 30 silver coins. So in this case, the enders overestimated the observed total. I haven't always recorded my enders, so I don't have enough data to look at enders as predictors of total silver/box. You are right that results from many boxes would be necessary. For example, two weeks ago, I got 30 silvers in a box that showed only 1 ender; that would have predicted only 10 silvers - in that case, much less than what was observed. It does seem that seeing enders suggests that the box might be more likely to have additional silver than a box with no enders.

- Mark Twain

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    2386 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Greastart View Post
    I'd say you have answered your own question. However, like always, there are exceptions and past performance is not indicative of future results.
    I expect skunk streaks of varying lengths. The box to box variation is very high and the silver is not normally distributed. Luck (and persistence) has a lot to do with finding silver (well that and maybe a silver sniffing cat who examines every open box).

- Mark Twain

us
    Feb 2012
    2504 times
    Coin roll hunting
    Great box, you don't hear too often from the other guys of a large catch as yours, far and in between. Congrats.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    24107 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Megalodon likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New