Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen that particular mark. The vast majority of marks have been made with sharpies.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a CRH guy here, but I see the appeal. The marking, is that to save them time the next time they see it?

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just invaders from the nation of ID------- commonly known as IDIOTS:BangHead:

rangermsg1

Jun 18, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bunch of idiots out there. Found a 1984 proof last week with a sharpie X across the face and an "FU" on the reverse

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I once got a box of halves that had a lot of intentionally scratched obverses. Multiple radial scratches on each of about 100 coins. Luckily I never saw them again.

Last edited:

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a CRH guy here, but I see the appeal. The marking, is that to save them time the next time they see it?

I believe it's to tell how long coins take to come back Or resurface.. Essentially dating the coin. I've never done it but see all kinds of marks.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it's to tell how long coins take to come back Or resurface.. Essentially dating the coin. I've never done it but see all kinds of marks.

Exactly. Its a personal (and selfish) attempt at a "mark and recapture" study. Unfortunately, the people doing this are not familiar with the requirements and assumptions necessary for valid mark and recapture studies as done by biologists for live animal populations. For one thing, there is not a clear goal that makes marking coins worth the effort. Mark and recapture studies of animals are specifically designed to estimate populations, mortality, study movements, and other reasons. Marking coins is not done in a way that any conclusions could be made because the results just won't stand up and justify them.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bunch of idiots out there. Found a 1984 proof last week with a sharpie X across the face and an "FU" on the reverse

I got my first two intentionally scratched 90% silver halves last week. It doesn't bother me to call these people idiots.

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
When I get Sharpie marked halves, I put some rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and wipe it off - just so the person who marks them thinks he/she is getting coins they never looked at before.

rangermsg1

Jun 18, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I get Sharpie marked halves, I put some rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and wipe it off - just so the person who marks them thinks he/she is getting coins they never looked at before.

Purrell Hand Sanitizer seems to work pretty well too.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Ten years ago I took a whole box of halves I was checking for silver and I rolled each coin 1/2 way through on the edge into some blue dye I had. It set up quick and gave the coin a blue edge that was very easy to see. I have never seen one of my marked coins here in Az where I get my coins. Have no idea where they went, but thought at that time I was seeing others that were marked in some way I would give it a try. Never did it again and still find other marked coins, some scraped or gouged, some painted and some marked with numbers.

OP
OP
J

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a sample you'll see the mark between the last two digits of the year or to the right of 1976. I'm almost thru going through to boxes nothing but marked coins. I'm baffled how the marked coins all got in the same boxes.
IMG_5216.jpg

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I do the opposite. I duplicate the mark a few hundred times and dump everywhere that I possibly can - just to further nonsense-ualize any conclusions the idiot might come to from marking.

Marking is a stupid practice performed by stupid people.

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Here is a sample you'll see the mark between the last two digits of the year or to the right of 1976. I'm almost thru going through to boxes nothing but marked coins. I'm baffled how the marked coins all got in the same boxes.
View attachment 1746910

I'm guessing those marks are on previous end coins and are made from whatever tool someone was using to open their rolls easier, like a knife.....

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Too bad something can't be put on a coin just like currency " Where's George" tracking.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing those marks are on previous end coins and are made from whatever tool someone was using to open their rolls easier, like a knife.....

If the mark was made by a knife in the process of opening the crimp, then some of these would have two, three, or more cuts, having been enders more than once. But the ones pictured have only a single scratch. It also seems unlikely to me that so many could have been enders and escaped the circular scratches made by the crimper.

OP
OP
J

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also the mark is in the same spot on all the coins.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I, going thru a box of halves and I noticed most of them so far are marked. They have a scratch/gouge between the last two digits of the year. Has anybody noticed these markings?

What area are you in?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions