V.D.B

Ranger Chuck

Apr 6, 2018
Central PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in a MWR today. This was one of only three wheats in a batch of $10 worth of pennies. The V.D.B is pretty worn, but it's there. Only the second one I've found in 10+ years of coin roll hunting. IMG_20190828_211813201.jpg IMG_20190828_211911284.jpg

Upvote 0

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!
Too bad it doesn’t have a really worn S to go with it
I’ve found a couple 09 plains but never a VDB
Congrats

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice but the S is the Holy Grail but thats a good collectible also

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check your 1918 pennies too because they put the "VDB" back on the front this time.

1918_1c_VDB_AAA.jpg

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Congrats!

IMO, that 1909 VDB is at least a strong VF and maybe even an EF. The reverse bottom is not a strong strike and that affected the strength of the VDB, but the coin grade itself is high and the overall coin's appearance is appealing. I was expecting to see a worn AG or G cent and was surprised at this one. I think it may be the nicest one I have seen come out of a roll. Thanks for sharing the pic.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I was 19 working at a gas station. A guy comes in driving a BMW or Mercedes in a suite. I know he is going to pay with a credit card so I get the form ready. (this is back when we swiped the card in a machine that transferred the info to the invoice/receipt) Also, these types always filled the tank and didn't care if they were on a round number like you would if you were paying with cash. He stops the pump at some odd number like $24.73. I start writing the number down on the invoice waiting for him to come up to the window and give me his card. He hands me a bank bag and says there is exactly $24.73 in there and leaves. I go through the bag and there are shiny new wheat pennies mixed in! He was short on the count but I was OK with it as there were about 20 1909 vdb's, all uncirculated! Fond memory from the 1980's.
Congratulations on your find and good luck to you.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
xr7: are you pulling our leg, 20 - 1909vdb all UNCIRCULATED. Outstanding find. Do you still have them, show us a PRETTY Unc picture of the 20.

goldenwonderbear

Feb 27, 2014
CA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure beats my story about the guy who came into the gas station where I was working nights (1960's) and bought a pack of smokes and paid w/ a BU CC silver dollar. As he turned around to go he said :" by the way these things are heavy, could you change them for a Twenty?" he counted out 20 more BU CC's and i gave him a twenty dollar bill. I'd show a picture , but I don't have them any longer. Can't remember what happened to them.............h

OP
OP
R

Ranger Chuck

Apr 6, 2018
Central PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe me, after I saw the V.D.B., I flipped it back over immediately to double-check for any sign of an S!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread