Immys Casino Royale - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 45 of 45
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Immys Casino Royale

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #31
    us
    Nov 2010
    1,012
    176 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    A visit like this so close to your extended stay has to get the juices flowing for what might be. Good luck.
    Immy and Sleepy Holow like this.

  2. #32
    us
    Feb 2013
    Expanding Operations
    Never used one, but am interested
    827
    601 times
    CRHing
    Quote Originally Posted by CardsNCoins View Post
    A visit like this so close to your extended stay has to get the juices flowing for what might be. Good luck.
    I agree with Nick, you gotta be excited after these latest low mintage finds. Heck, I'm excited to see what you come out of there with!
    Immy likes this.

  3. #33
    us
    Mar 2005
    Vegas
    2,700
    317 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by CardsNCoins View Post
    A visit like this so close to your extended stay has to get the juices flowing for what might be. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Holow View Post
    I agree with Nick, you gotta be excited after these latest low mintage finds. Heck, I'm excited to see what you come out of there with!
    Excited for sure, but I don't want my expectations to be unrealistic. So here are my modest goals:

    Buffalos - 5 - Considering the latest averages, I think that's reasonable. I'd like to mark one off my Most Wanted list but that would be a bonus.

    Wartime - 5 - Once again, within the realm of possibility.

    Misc Jeff nickels - 3 - This category is the sub-10 million dates I still need to finish rolls (38DS, 39DS, 50PD, 55P). Oh, and a 2019P.

    90% quarter - 1 - I still hear them from time to time.

    W quarter - 1 - Really, I'd be happy with just one. Please?

    90% Halves - 1 - Just to prove they're still out there.

    40% halves - 3 - Certainly a fair estimate.
    Sleepy Holow likes this.
    Last appearance in pocket change:

    Wheat penny: 1956-D (7/24/19)
    Silver: 1949-D quarter (8/9/19)

  4. #34

    Dec 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Garrett Ace 250
    2,483
    170 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Immy View Post
    Excited for sure, but I don't want my expectations to be unrealistic. So here are my modest goals:

    Buffalos - 5 - Considering the latest averages, I think that's reasonable. I'd like to mark one off my Most Wanted list but that would be a bonus.

    Wartime - 5 - Once again, within the realm of possibility.

    Misc Jeff nickels - 3 - This category is the sub-10 million dates I still need to finish rolls (38DS, 39DS, 50PD, 55P). Oh, and a 2019P.

    90% quarter - 1 - I still hear them from time to time.

    W quarter - 1 - Really, I'd be happy with just one. Please?

    90% Halves - 1 - Just to prove they're still out there.

    40% halves - 3 - Certainly a fair estimate.

    Are you just going to buy rolls at the cash cage or cash out through the machine?
    Immy likes this.

  5. #35
    us
    Mar 2005
    Vegas
    2,700
    317 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by GMan00001 View Post
    Are you just going to buy rolls at the cash cage or cash out through the machine?
    Been thinking about this. Probably mostly machine coins. Not sure if they still have rolls anymore at the cages but if they do I'll go that route for halves. Ideally I'd like to purchase the fill bags ($100 nickels, $500 halves) and bring those back to the room, but I think they're earmarked only for the slot techs.

    Main thing I've been trying to figure out is the best way to carry coins back and forth from the room. Casino cups only hold $40 in nickels and can be flimsy. I could bring some canvas vault bags with me which would allow more volume and have less potential for spillage, but they're clumsier when dumping into the coin counters.

    Open for suggestions.
    Megalodon likes this.
    Last appearance in pocket change:

    Wheat penny: 1956-D (7/24/19)
    Silver: 1949-D quarter (8/9/19)

  6. #36
    us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1,707
    2691 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I like your project and look forward to seeing the results. It will be interesting to see if you meet or exceed your goals, now that you have put them out there.

    I've never been in a casino but would it be possible to put coins in sturdy plastic screw top containers and then put those containers in a canvas tote bag to bring them to your room?
    I use a Land's End heavy canvas tote bag when I pick up my two boxes at the bank. They are much easier to handle in a tote bag with a strong handle. I load my dump coins into a variety of old plastic jars, from peanut butter jars (a 36 oz jar holds about $150) to grated cheese jars (hold $200-250) to slightly larger coconut oil jars (hold ($300). I can put four of those plastic jars full with $1000 total in halves in the same tote bag and then bring them in to my various credit unions to dump.

    Is the hotel room lighting sufficient for examining the coins?
    Immy likes this.

  7. #37
    us
    Mar 2005
    Vegas
    2,700
    317 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    I like your project and look forward to seeing the results. It will be interesting to see if you meet or exceed your goals, now that you have put them out there.
    Sure will be. Can't wait to find out myself.

    I've never been in a casino but would it be possible to put coins in sturdy plastic screw top containers and then put those containers in a canvas tote bag to bring them to your room?
    I use a Land's End heavy canvas tote bag when I pick up my two boxes at the bank. They are much easier to handle in a tote bag with a strong handle. I load my dump coins into a variety of old plastic jars, from peanut butter jars (a 36 oz jar holds about $150) to grated cheese jars (hold $200-250) to slightly larger coconut oil jars (hold ($300). I can put four of those plastic jars full with $1000 total in halves in the same tote bag and then bring them in to my various credit unions to dump.
    I try not to be conspicuous. Carrying coin in anything unusual can draw attention, which is obviously not what I want. The canvas bank bags are probably the best alternative. If I start adding various containers it'll just look odd, especially over many hours/days. $100 in nickels I can easily cradle in one arm in the bank bags, and that's the heaviest I'll be lugging. $200-$300 in quarters or halves won't be as bad. One fact is inescapable though - wherever my room is, it's nowhere near the coin-op slot areas, so I'll get my steps in lol. Just hope it's not waaaaay down the end of the hallway.

    Is the hotel room lighting sufficient for examining the coins?
    I'll be happy if there's simply a table big enough to enable proper sorting. Already counting on a sore neck but if that gets really bad I'll severely cut back on the room sorting. Lighting will have to do in whatever form.
    Megalodon likes this.
    Last appearance in pocket change:

    Wheat penny: 1956-D (7/24/19)
    Silver: 1949-D quarter (8/9/19)

  8. #38
    us
    Feb 2013
    Expanding Operations
    Never used one, but am interested
    827
    601 times
    CRHing
    A few things here...honestly, take it or leave it...just my two cents...

    1) Transport of Coin - I swear by the canvas bags, but in this situation I might go with a bag inside an unmarked box inside a small suitcase with wheels. Suitcase will help you with your distance issues. Box will prevent your coins from spilling all over your suitcase. Canvas bag is what coins belong in...haha. Also, he suitcase would look more touristy and help you bring your dump coins out to your vehicle if that's your dump plan. Only downside is with the low ceilings in there, you'll probably have to Febreze your suitcase after the stay-cation.

    2) Desk - Call ahead and request a room with a desk. From online pics, it looks like not all rooms have them.

    3) Lighting - If you have a favorite/proven portable lamp, I would bring that.

    4) Bringing Suspicion - From what I've seen down there, if you act like you're supposed to be doing whatever it is that you're doing, no one will ask you otherwise. If someone that works there does ask you what you're doing, you can always say something like "Gettin' my money straight for tonight..."

    5) Timing of Pickups - If you do go to the cage, try to split up your pickups in such a way that allows you to see as many different employees as possible. Basically, if you want to search a bunch of coin that night, hit the cage once when you check in, a second time when you're ready to start going through the coin that night, and a third time before you go to bed. Maybe that looks like 3pm, 8pm, and midnight...or something like that. The midnight one could be for a morning searching session and then you could pick up an 8am batch as well. Fool proof!

    6) Personal Experience - That place is known as the Sweaty Spaniard in the card counting community due to the amount of heat you get from the blackjack pit bosses. One thing I used to do was sit directly to the right of the blackjack dealer, so I could rim check their halves. Every once in a while I would catch a glimpse of a 40%er. It's kinda tricky to get it out of there though without saying "can i get that milky white looking half", so I'd say "Can I get $5 in halves please?" in order to get deep enough into their stack to draw it out. They always thought it was a weird request, but whatever. On a personal note, that's the only casino I ever got politely asked to leave due to "the way I was betting at the blackjack table"! Single deck bj, what do you expect! Good times...

    7) Gambling - May be applicable, may not...If you don't gamble anymore, don't get sucked back into old habits that you've sworn off. You're going there to get buffs, not help them build their next wing. You know what they say - "someone has to pay for the lights"...don't let it be you.
    Immy and Megalodon like this.

  9. #39
    us
    Mar 2005
    Vegas
    2,700
    317 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    ^^
    This was equal parts laughs & good advice...and may be the best response so far in this whole crazy thread.

    I'll let you know what works and what doesn't.
    Last edited by Immy; Nov 09, 2019 at 12:22 AM.
    Sleepy Holow likes this.
    Last appearance in pocket change:

    Wheat penny: 1956-D (7/24/19)
    Silver: 1949-D quarter (8/9/19)

  10. #40

    Dec 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Garrett Ace 250
    2,483
    170 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Immy View Post
    Been thinking about this. Probably mostly machine coins. Not sure if they still have rolls anymore at the cages but if they do I'll go that route for halves. Ideally I'd like to purchase the fill bags ($100 nickels, $500 halves) and bring those back to the room, but I think they're earmarked only for the slot techs.

    Main thing I've been trying to figure out is the best way to carry coins back and forth from the room. Casino cups only hold $40 in nickels and can be flimsy. I could bring some canvas vault bags with me which would allow more volume and have less potential for spillage, but they're clumsier when dumping into the coin counters.

    Open for suggestions.
    Here are a couple of other suggestions for the transportation side of things.

    1) Cargo pants - You could always wear a good pair of cargo pants and fill your pockets with coins to go back and forth to your room. If you try this, just make sure you wear a strong belt and walk slow... Note: I have done this a few times to carry coins into a casino to cash in. As it has been over 10 years since I tried this, I don't remember exactly how much I carried in, but I feel like it was in the $75-$100 range (all in nickels). One downside is it can take awhile to fill/empty your pockets one handful at a time.

    2) Wool Socks - You could do what my dad used to to when he would stop by a casino that was half way between my house and his. He brought some extra big wool socks and either filled them directly with coins or put the filled casino cups in the socks and then carried the socks like canvas bags to/from his car. As this isn't a standard practice, however, this may draw undesired attention.

    3) Backpack - A strong backpack would likely be able to handle fairly significant weight, would be easy to fill, and wouldn't look to out of place unless you decide to get a skip in your step and the coins start jingling too much.


    if you really want to do it in style you could combine 1 and 3. Wear and fill cargo pants as well as a backpack with each trip...

  11. #41
    us
    Apr 2011
    1,821
    1298 times
    Heading to Vegas this weekend. Think I might have to stop by there myself!

  12. #42
    us
    Mar 2005
    Vegas
    2,700
    317 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by GMan00001 View Post
    Here are a couple of other suggestions for the transportation side of things.

    1) Cargo pants - You could always wear a good pair of cargo pants and fill your pockets with coins to go back and forth to your room. If you try this, just make sure you wear a strong belt and walk slow... Note: I have done this a few times to carry coins into a casino to cash in. As it has been over 10 years since I tried this, I don't remember exactly how much I carried in, but I feel like it was in the $75-$100 range (all in nickels). One downside is it can take awhile to fill/empty your pockets one handful at a time.

    2) Wool Socks - You could do what my dad used to to when he would stop by a casino that was half way between my house and his. He brought some extra big wool socks and either filled them directly with coins or put the filled casino cups in the socks and then carried the socks like canvas bags to/from his car. As this isn't a standard practice, however, this may draw undesired attention.

    3) Backpack - A strong backpack would likely be able to handle fairly significant weight, would be easy to fill, and wouldn't look to out of place unless you decide to get a skip in your step and the coins start jingling too much.


    if you really want to do it in style you could combine 1 and 3. Wear and fill cargo pants as well as a backpack with each trip...
    I'm getting visions of Kramer on Seinfeld with his pockets overloaded lol. Thx for the tips.
    Last appearance in pocket change:

    Wheat penny: 1956-D (7/24/19)
    Silver: 1949-D quarter (8/9/19)

  13. #43
    us
    Mar 2005
    Vegas
    2,700
    317 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerTeller View Post
    Heading to Vegas this weekend. Think I might have to stop by there myself!
    Go for it! Plenty to go around.
    Last appearance in pocket change:

    Wheat penny: 1956-D (7/24/19)
    Silver: 1949-D quarter (8/9/19)

  14. #44
    us
    Mar 2005
    Vegas
    2,700
    317 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Staycation is in the books!

    I concentrated on nickels mostly ($500-$600 worth) and while I didn't come close to my goals I'm still happy with what I found.
    Read on...

    Buffalo Nickels


    Prediction: 5
    Reality: 2


    Buffalos restricted themselves to the first day's searching, and I'm glad I brought my Nic-a-Date along. Had a little trouble bringing up both dates so a double dose was in order, and even after that it took a lot of scrutiny, but I'm 99% sure what I've got here is a 1913-D Type 1 & 1925. The mintmark's not fully visible, but it's more roundish like a D. Both have been found before - 12/24/03 & 5/17/09 respectively - so no new additions to the list.

    Wartime Nickels [462]

    1942-P (11/4/19) [30]
    1942-S (11/13/10) [20]
    1943-P (11/11/19) [96]
    1943-D (9/15/09) [8]
    1943-S (11/12/19) [93]
    1944-P (9/1/13) [47]
    1944-D (9/24/19) [20]
    1944-S (8/18/11) [21]
    1945-P (11/12/19) [48]
    1945-D (8/12/11) [20]
    1945-S (9/3/19) [59]

    Prediction: 5
    Reality: 3


    For once silver outnumbered buffies. Behold the 43-P, 43-S & 45-P, with the 43-P inching ever so closer to an overall total of 100. Can the 43-S catch it?

    Foreign



    A nice assortment as usual: 1988 Aussie 5 cents, 1983 Canada 5 cents, 2002-J German 10 euro cents & a Japanese 1972 1 yen.

    Halves

    Prediction: One 90%, three 40%
    Reality: Zilch



    My lone catch from $400 in halves was this still-frosty 1991-S. At least a dozen or so 2018's, which is rapidly becoming the "1964 nickel" of NIFC halves.


    Room Searching

    The rest of my predictions were sadly unrealized, mostly because I did very little searching in the room. It was set up nicely for it - a couple of decent flat surfaces & good light sources - but ultimately I decided against it. The in-room tallies:

    $25 in nickels - Nada, not only no 2019-P, hardly any P mints at all. And the new Jefferson design clearly dominates the selection these days.

    $100 in quarters - A scattering of 2019's but no W's, and no silver.

    $200 in halves - Skunk.


    Summing Up

    A fun outing that I'd like to try again, but for no more than two days. Early on in Day 2 I was getting a little bleary so I headed out for a walk to Fremont St to clear my head. It's such a relief knowing that when I've reached my saturation point I can simply head up to my room and crash. While room searching was an intriguing idea, I don't think I'll employ that method too much in the future.


    Fun Stats: I've tied my all-time record of ten buffalos in one calendar year (set in 2008) and it took less than five months.

    This Week in Casino Searching History: Also in 2008, I completed a roll of 1945-P wartime nickels.
    Last edited by Immy; Nov 13, 2019 at 09:15 PM.
    Sleepy Holow likes this.
    Last appearance in pocket change:

    Wheat penny: 1956-D (7/24/19)
    Silver: 1949-D quarter (8/9/19)

  15. #45
    us
    Feb 2013
    Expanding Operations
    Never used one, but am interested
    827
    601 times
    CRHing
    Quote Originally Posted by Immy View Post
    Fun Stats: I've tied my all-time record of ten buffalos in one calendar year (set in 2008) and it took less than five months.
    Wow! Two more buffs...that's great. Hope to see that 11th buffalo in the next 6-7 weeks. Overall, sounds like you learned a lot about a new strategy that no one's ventured into yet...trailblazing for sure! Hope the prime rib was good!
    Immy likes this.

 

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Spanish Royale
    By sproatz in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 06, 2015, 02:03 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 21, 2014, 10:27 AM
  3. Battle Royale
    By TreasurdiggrNY in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Aug 11, 2008, 10:50 AM
  4. casino royale
    By Raoul in forum Movies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Oct 31, 2007, 02:09 PM
  5. Question for Immy; Will a casino buy my halves?
    By ringding in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Oct 02, 2006, 02:01 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0