Silver is almost back to $20. Time to reboot the ol' network.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
NF String is a manufacturer of coin wrappers, boxes and counters (similar to coin star).

They are not a coin handling company like Brinks and Dunbar, etc.

Just a letting you know you don’t have to worry about being close to them since they are just a manufacturing company. [emoji106]
There’s an Ebay store that deals in large lots of bulk coins, tokens, copper etc. Harrisburg, PA. “Webcoins”, owned by NF String and sons.

Apparently NF String has been sorting and selling bulk copper cents and silver and misc coins for years now, (since 2013). This has been discussed on other numismatic forums.

Webcoins even sells large lots of guitar picks and SD cards...what’s that tell you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscores

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There’s an Ebay store that deals in large lots of bulk coins, tokens, copper etc. Harrisburg, PA. “Webcoins”, owned by NF String and sons.

Apparently NF String has been sorting and selling bulk copper cents and silver and misc coins for years now, (since 2013). This has been discussed on other numismatic forums.

Webcoins even sells large lots of guitar picks and SD cards...what’s that tell you?

Yep, as much as I was in denial for a couple years, the evidence is beyond obvious. I was doing some digging, don't remember what I found, but I definitely had an "oh ****, it's definitely them" moment. My next thought was "Hey, I wonder if they need a competent numismatist" lol.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea but very few things beat that feeling of opening a box to to see several enders looking back at you. Get's me pumped just writing it. And it's only cheaper if you factor in time and you should only factor in time if you're going to spend that time making money which is different than saying "could spend that time making money".

It definitely would be cheaper, assuming things haven't improved over the past few years - which I believe is a very reasonable assumption. Boxes in my area several years ago averaged about 1.25 40%ers per box, with a 75% skunk rate. 4 to 6 boxes weekly would be the maximum I could do due to limited dumping options. Therefore my finds wouldn't come close to paying for gas and wear/tear on my vehicle going back and forth to retrieve boxes and dump rejects. However, I will very much agree that it is definitely more fun to find them than buy them, aside from dumping.

OP
OP
bigscores

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm all about the thrill of the hunt and making some extra money while having fun, that's why I'm willing to get back in when the profitability might not be there.

9 more days...

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to buy silver, don't buy half dollars. the half dollars are not pure silver. check your dates.

That doesn't matter. Either way you're only paying for the silver content. Only thing .999 silver are ASE's.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yup! I had no idea. It even says coin processing on their site, lol. I wonder where they get their coins from that they are processing, banks, businesses, both?!

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to buy silver, don't buy half dollars. the half dollars are not pure silver. check your dates.

Lol any Silver before 1964 is 90% Silver and half dollars on and after 1964 are 40%. If you don't want the pre 1964 Half Dollars, I'll take them. :laughing7::laughing7:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Lol any Silver before 1964 is 90% Silver and half dollars on and after 1964 are 40%. If you don't want the pre 1964 Half Dollars, I'll take them. :laughing7::laughing7:

Close, but not quite. The last year for business strikes 90% was 1964. Halves were 40% from 1965-1970.

Time for more coffee.

dibdab

Jan 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have machines in the area. I think they search everything that gets dumped in their machines. They are megasearchers. What a fun job someone has at that company!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope it keeps going up

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my likely to be found in circulation guide:

1935 and before silver dollars are 90% silver (or slightly more, due to worldwide trade standards)

1964 and before: 90% silver half dollars, quarters, and dimes.

1965-1970 half dollars are 40% silver. (1970 was not intended for circulation)

Some 1976 S mint bicentennial half dollars are 40%. Same with some 1976 S mint 40% quarters and some 1971-1976 S mint Eisenhower dollars. (not intended for circulation)

Some 1992+ S mint proof sets include 90% halves, quarters, and dimes. (not intended for circulation)

Modern silver dollar and half dollar commemorative coins are 90% silver (not intended for circulation)

Some 1942 and 1943-1945 nickels are 35% silver (can distinguish by large mintmark above dome of Monticello on reverse).

Last edited:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my likely to be found in circulation guide:

1935 and before silver dollars are 90% silver (or slightly more, due to worldwide trade standards)

1964 and before: 90% silver half dollars, quarters, and dimes.

1965-1970 half dollars are 40% silver. (1970 was not intended for circulation)

Some 1976 bicentennial half dollars are 40%. Same with some 1976 40% quarters and some 1971-1978 Eisenhower dollars. (not intended for circulation)

Some 1992+ S mark proof sets include 90% halves, quarters, and dimes. (not intended for circulation)

Modern silver dollar and half dollar commemorative coins are 90% silver (not intended for circulation)

Some 1942 and 1943-1945 nickels are 35% silver (can distinguish by large mintmark above dome of Monticello on reverse).

You're pretty close. I see a few things that need tweaking a bit:

The 40% silver Eisenhower dollars were minted 1971-1976. None were struck in '77 or '78

All 40% NIFC (quarters, halves, dollars) will have an 's' mintmark, but not all 's' mintmarks are silver.

Not all modern commemoratives are silver.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're pretty close. I see a few things that need tweaking a bit:

The 40% silver Eisenhower dollars were minted 1971-1976. None were struck in '77 or '78

All 40% NIFC (quarters, halves, dollars) will have an 's' mintmark, but not all 's' mintmarks are silver.

Not all modern commemoratives are silver.

I wasn't 100% on the Ike dates, that's the "some" part, but I'll edit.

The same with the "some" on the bicentennials.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread