Apmex J Mattheys Scottsdale bars ????? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Apmex J Mattheys Scottsdale bars ?????

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2721 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrf30 View Post
    I like APMEX for bars and moreso Eagles. Although lately I've been buying 90% instead, and I do NOT like Apmex for that. The stuff they have sent out to me is too beat up. They send lots of "slicks". Plus they cost more than spot.

I have found numerous sources on Craigslist that sell for spot, and I get to see the coins before i hand over the money. Hey, I'm not looking for rare coins. Just normal coins with dates on them. I'm a big fan of craigs list though, as I get better quality stuff for a cheaper price. granted, some days they have nothing, and i have to wait until someone posts about selling, but some of those sources are good to buy from over and over again.
    jrf30, are you advertising your buy? Just curious because I’m the only one on Craigslist here for ten years that has sold under spot. Everyone else selling asks 30-50% over. I’ve never seen any reasonable ads.
    A2coins and DeepseekerADS like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    30904 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    jrf30, are you advertising your buy? Just curious because I’m the only one on Craigslist here for ten years that has sold under spot. Everyone else selling asks 30-50% over. I’ve never seen any reasonable ads.
    Do you still sell for under spot or at spot.
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2721 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    Do you still sell for under spot or at spot.
    The only coins I ever sold below spot were less desirable 40% silver Kennedy halves. We used to spend ‘em.
    A2coins likes this.

Jun 2012
    Oklahoma
    Equinox 800, Ace 250
    338 times
    I don't buy from Apmex just because they are here in Oklahoma...cost me state tax.
    A2coins likes this.

I don't hold coins, silver, gold anything like that. I've been downsizing for year now. It really shows around here. Anyway, the only silver I buy is from the bank, and the gold I find, although I have purchased a couple really old US gold coins over the years because I just wanted one (then sold it when I got bored.)

The silvers I have had were gotten for face at banks. I normally then want to go on a trip or such and sell them to pay for it. I don't make a good stacker!
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    18335 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I went to the web to remember exactly when I bought $50 silver and found this:

What was highest silver price per ounce in history and when?

Best Answer: The year was 1980. Jimmy Carter was president and had totally hashed the economy. During the 2nd week of January, I believe it was, silver hit about $48.00 an ounce. The Hunt brothers had attempted to corner the market on silver. One thing they did not count on was that the high price brought countless hords to market. People were dragging in their silver stashes from where they had buried them in the back yard, from the boxes in the closets and from the safety deposit boxes in the banks. The price immediately dropped to about $35.00 an ounce and stayed in that range until March. Then the bottom dropped out and it fell below $20.00 an ounce. The Hunt brothers went bankrupt. Regan was elected president and silver dropped to under $9.00 by July 1981.

Oh, the memories...... I still have it all - boy was I dumb....

I called my broker over and over to sell it back - they weren't taking phone calls,

Sooooooo..... I still have that.

Did a whole lot of averaging down over the years, and with today's pricing I'm probably about even (fingers crossed - haven't looked to see yet).

I should! I might have enough to retire on..... Oh, I already did that....

Should I stay or should I go (outta the mkt) I don't even know how much I have now.

Well, reality says I got it all for retirement, and here I am.... Gotta do some thinking......
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    30904 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Thats a crazy story didnt know that, I do remember back when silver and gold jumped way up. I guess if we knew what would be valuable later we would all be rich Im hoping for technology computers ect silver will go up?? I hope you have a good retirement sounds like at the time you did what you thought was best. Hope it works out for you my friend Tommy
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

(Free Shipping)

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2721 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Traditionally, financial advisors recommend a 5% PM portfolio share.
    They don’t make a dime off physical holdings is why.
    5% is way off, when practically all else is paper.

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2721 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    I went to the web to remember exactly when I bought $50 silver and found this:

What was highest silver price per ounce in history and when?

Best Answer: The year was 1980. Jimmy Carter was president and had totally hashed the economy. During the 2nd week of January, I believe it was, silver hit about $48.00 an ounce. The Hunt brothers had attempted to corner the market on silver. One thing they did not count on was that the high price brought countless hords to market. People were dragging in their silver stashes from where they had buried them in the back yard, from the boxes in the closets and from the safety deposit boxes in the banks. The price immediately dropped to about $35.00 an ounce and stayed in that range until March. Then the bottom dropped out and it fell below $20.00 an ounce. The Hunt brothers went bankrupt. Regan was elected president and silver dropped to under $9.00 by July 1981.

Oh, the memories...... I still have it all - boy was I dumb....

I called my broker over and over to sell it back - they weren't taking phone calls,

Sooooooo..... I still have that.

Did a whole lot of averaging down over the years, and with today's pricing I'm probably about even (fingers crossed - haven't looked to see yet).

I should! I might have enough to retire on..... Oh, I already did that....

Should I stay or should I go (outta the mkt) I don't even know how much I have now.

Well, reality says I got it all for retirement, and here I am.... Gotta do some thinking......
    They say you value your stack in ounces, not fiat paper. Congrats on the long run.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    18335 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    Thats a crazy story didnt know that, I do remember back when silver and gold jumped way up. I guess if we knew what would be valuable later we would all be rich Im hoping for technology computers ect silver will go up?? I hope you have a good retirement sounds like at the time you did what you thought was best. Hope it works out for you my friend Tommy
    Thanks Tommy, do need another vehicle.... I'll think it over and if I decide to sell a little I'll post an ad in the For Sale forum.
    A2coins likes this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Jun 2012
    Oklahoma
    Equinox 800, Ace 250
    338 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    Traditionally, financial advisors recommend a 5% PM portfolio share.
    They don’t make a dime off physical holdings is why.
    5% is way off, when practically all else is paper.
    Since you mentioned FA's... Just a bit of advice (to the general TN public) from a guy who got his degree in Finance (though that doesn't mean much). Use a fee only financial adviser. There's a website you can go to and find a fee only adviser in your area. Never take free advice that is specific to your money. Never take advice from someone who stands to gain from your decision. The pitch sounds great... you win/I win blah blah blah. Note: This doesn't mean all other FA's are crooks....but many of the "good guys" are more sales men than FA and are giving advice they've been trained to believe is...good advice.
    A2coins and FormerTeller like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    30904 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Thanks thats a good piece of advice.

(Free Shipping)

Aug 2012
    868 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Owassokie View Post
    Since you mentioned FA's... Just a bit of advice (to the general TN public) from a guy who got his degree in Finance (though that doesn't mean much). Use a fee only financial adviser. There's a website you can go to and find a fee only adviser in your area. Never take free advice that is specific to your money. Never take advice from someone who stands to gain from your decision. The pitch sounds great... you win/I win blah blah blah. Note: This doesn't mean all other FA's are crooks....but many of the "good guys" are more sales men than FA and are giving advice they've been trained to believe is...good advice.
    And check that they have completed certification, like a Certified Financial Planner. It means nothing if they made their own title up.

I'd never rely solely on financial advice from a planner without training and who wants you to invest only in plans that benefit them or their company.
    A2coins and Owassokie like this.
    "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins." Oliver Wendell Holmes.

May 2006
    CO, AZ
    dfx, Ryedale!
    214 times
    "I’m the only one on Craigslist here for ten years that has sold under spot. Everyone else selling asks 30-50% over. I’ve never seen any reasonable ads."

I guess out there you are the one I would be buying from then. :-)

Here, it is the same way. Most are high. Some though are like you, and when those people hit, I latch on. i buy from them, get them my information, and buy from them again when they have more they wish to sell. So it is tough at times, but yes, there are good people like you in every state, albeit rare, and they show up form time to time on CL. That's the ones I buy from. :-)
    A2coins likes this.

May 2006
    CO, AZ
    dfx, Ryedale!
    214 times
    "I might have enough to retire on...."

that's why i don't count on my silver to retire on.

I put away a bunch of BEANIE BABIES. that is my retirement right there, baby.

LOLOLOL. Okay, so I had to write it. :-)
    A2coins and Owassokie like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links