Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this, I do know..............................

most Ebay buyers think higher grade coins should be sold for "spot" or "melt":BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::censored::censored::angry4::angry4:?????????--- MOOCHES

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The two are commonly used to mean the same thing. But there is a distinction. Spot price is the current market value. Melt value is typically 10-20% below spot price. The melt value is what a refiner will pay. No refiner will offer spot price. Also, one can calculate what the silver content of a specific coin based on spot price. The melt value will differ depending on the refiner and min. quantity. The cost to refine a 40% half is more than the cost to refine a 90% half. Hence, the melt value will be lower for 40% halves than it is for 90% halves.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself can't give a good descriptive answer to this question, but could someone explain the difference between SPOT PRICE vs MELT PRICE on silver coins. There seems to be a lot of new hunters here on the site, maybe this will help them also, besides me.

The two terms are often used interchangeably, even though technically they have slightly different meanings...similar to "cent" and "penny." Spot price of silver is the price, per troy ounce, at any given second in time. Melt price is the dollar amount at which whatever you are valuing (coins, bars, rounds, etc) would currently have at spot price. For example, a 90% silver dime has a melt value of ~$1.31 at a spot price of $18.05/toz

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions