Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for opinions. I have been calling boxes "skunk boxes" when they produce no silver coin at all. My skunk box % is at 70% using that definition. But lately, I have been wondering if my definition might be too specific or strict. Is it a skunk box if we find no silver but a no-FG half? How about a 74-D ddo? A scarce 1987? If i included impaired proofs, my % skunk boxes would be lower, but I'm really not looking for them (I put them aside for unknown reasons), so is that legitimate? What about a magician's coin? I'm not even thinking about the NIFC halves - I treat them no differently than common clad coins. Thanks for your opinions (and their justifications if possible)!

Upvote 0

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardly the end-all authority, but the CRH beginners guide says:

. . .
* KEEPERS - Finds found coin roll hunting that are worth saving
** SKUNKED - getting no keepers in a box of coins, or from a batch or roll of coins.

. . .
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...-beginners-guide-coin-roll-hunting-terms.html

My kids used to refer to non-keeper coins individually as "ZONKS". They always had a ZONK-Pile. I don't remember hearing of ZONK-Boxes.
I don't find those terms in the beginners guide though.

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardly the end-all authority, but the CRH beginners guide says:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...-beginners-guide-coin-roll-hunting-terms.html

My kids used to refer to non-keeper coins individually as "ZONKS". They always had a ZONK-Pile. I don't remember hearing of ZONK-Boxes.
I don't find those terms in the beginners guide though.

This definition helps to explain why some of us keep on going despite apparent long skunk streaks - a few keepers here and there that are worth more than a silver coin.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Rules are rules no matter when they were made or how they were made. A skunk box is one that contains absolutely no silver. That is the only criteria for a skunk box and should never change. I am part of the old-school hunters, I just don't post anymore about my finds or lack of. We don't change because some people don't like them, we don't change rules for people who hunt NIFC and we certainly don't change rules for people who love to get foreign coins unless of course one of them may be silver.

Ah, but who made the rules?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions