Primary Interest:
Other
Hit a few banks today

$16 in cents
$24 in nickels
$205 in dimes
$30 in quarters
$3 in halves

Last bank of the morning, went in and asked for $60 in coins - $50 in dimes, $6 in nickels, and $4 in cents. Asked for halves and the teller had $2. She said that I should have stopped in a week or two ago (last time I was there was probably a month or 5 weeks ago) because someone turned in dollars that she said were very shiny like silver. She said that the person's father had passed and they turned in these coins. She also said she shipped them out. While it was not clear exactly what these coins were - I was really bummed because I may have missed some massive dump of Morgans or Peace dollars - or maybe they were just BU Ikes. I will never know. This is the same bank that I found the large wheat dump some months ago (prior post), so it is always a stop on the rotation. Guess I should visit more frequently than once every several weeks.

So she proceeded to hand me the dimes and she gave me $10 in CWR and $40 in MWR. I don't like MWR so I asked if I could give back the $40 for CWR. She only had one additional CWR and it turned out to be this vintage roll which contained solid silver (44 FDR, 6 Merc). Wonder if it was from the same person who dumped the dollar coins. I get excited when I get vintage rolls, but more often than not they are full of recent coins, or clad with 1960s, 1970s, or 1980s dates

solid dime roll 10-12.jpg

This is the second time this year I have found a solid roll of silver dimes (prior post in February or March). Not from the same bank. That $6 of nickels from that bank had nothing and the cents had some common wheats.

Rest of the rolls of the day yielded one 1964 silver dime, a 1943 Canadian silver dime (both CWR) and a dateless D-mint buffalo in a MWR.

other coins 10-12.jpg

Today more than made up for a lot of skunks in dimes lately.

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that's what you call " being at the right place at the right time", congrats on the solid catch. In all my years of hunting dimes, I NEVER pulled a solid CWR roll.

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
So many thoughts...first big congratulations on this haul! One of my CRHing Career goals is to find a solid roll of dimes and you've done it twice in the same year?!?! Amazing! Second, KGVI coins are great. Third, you gotta nic-a-date that nickel. Could be something really cool.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Happy for you.

I wonder how many of us seeing your pic and reading your post will be asking for CWRs of dimes this week!

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats! Happy for you.

I wonder how many of us seeing your pic and reading your post will be asking for CWRs of dimes this week!

Hopefully no one who CRH on my turf - the downside of posting things on social media :angel3:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always ask for CWR dimes but had a good score with mwrs as well in the distant past so the more the merrier unless its all 2019 lol. I am still looking for my solid dime roll or any solid silver roll other than half dollars. I've missed many a nice silver dump when someone passed away. Its so hard to be everywhere at once with the right questions for the right teller. If you find a teller friend like that you leave her your number each time you go. Eventually they may even call you every time they get some scummy Ikes lol. And once in a blue moon your ship comes in!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully no one who CRH on my turf - the downside of posting things on social media :angel3:

That's a good point. Although we may be the only ones who actively post here from our regions, there are some who may be lurking. My tellers at my main pick-up bank tell me they order halves for me and one other guy. At my two credit unions, tellers at the branches of one tell me I'm the only one dumping halves in the coin machines - which is good to know because I try to spread out my dumping to minimize bag changes. At the other credit union's branches, the tellers say there is at least one other person dumping halves - but that credit union has gone to free coinstars this year, so bag changes are not an issue (and so, I dump more at those). I love talkative tellers!

I'm about 250 miles from you, so when I ask about CWRs of dimes today, I'm in a vastly different turf than you, and unfortunately for me, one that is not as good for CWRs. Its almost as hard to find a CWR as a silver in one.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a good point. Although we may be the only ones who actively post here from our regions, there are some who may be lurking. My tellers at my main pick-up bank tell me they order halves for me and one other guy. At my two credit unions, tellers at the branches of one tell me I'm the only one dumping halves in the coin machines - which is good to know because I try to spread out my dumping to minimize bag changes. At the other credit union's branches, the tellers say there is at least one other person dumping halves - but that credit union has gone to free coinstars this year, so bag changes are not an issue (and so, I dump more at those). I love talkative tellers!

I'm about 250 miles from you, so when I ask about CWRs of dimes today, I'm in a vastly different turf than you, and unfortunately for me, one that is not as good for CWRs. Its almost as hard to find a CWR as a silver in one.

I have gone into banks and they say others ask for halves, so I take whatever CWR and loose that I can get. Got $10 loose today and got nothing. Since TD Bank took out the machines a few years back, I don't have machines to dump in, so I can't really get boxes, and in the 20+ years that I have been searching halves, I have only gotten 3 boxes and got skunked.

I am fortunate that there are a lot of banks here, and I can always get CWR somewhere. I don't mind MWR in cents, nickels, and quarters. In dimes, I feel I have much better luck with CWR - there have been times where the bank has only MWR and I passed - I just tell them I collect coins and I want CWR because there is more variety. Next year I am going to try to keep track of the silver hit rate in dimes for CWR vs. MWR.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gone into banks and they say others ask for halves, so I take whatever CWR and loose that I can get. Got $10 loose today and got nothing. Since TD Bank took out the machines a few years back, I don't have machines to dump in, so I can't really get boxes, and in the 20+ years that I have been searching halves, I have only gotten 3 boxes and got skunked.

I am fortunate that there are a lot of banks here, and I can always get CWR somewhere. I don't mind MWR in cents, nickels, and quarters. In dimes, I feel I have much better luck with CWR - there have been times where the bank has only MWR and I passed - I just tell them I collect coins and I want CWR because there is more variety. Next year I am going to try to keep track of the silver hit rate in dimes for CWR vs. MWR.

I agree completely. In large urban areas with high populations, CWRs are clearly the way to go. In areas like mine, in which the entire county population, despite tripling in 30 years, is dispersed and under 100K with no incorporated cities, there is not enough population to reliably find CWRs. Boxes are a better choice here. And I am lucky to have choices for credit unions with free coin machines to dump coins from boxes. I like the honest way you ask for the CWRs. I think the hit rate comparison/analysis will be informative.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drive 20 miles to a larger population center. Best recent finds were out in the farther burbs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread