Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three weeks ago, I posted about a box with 20 halves - all 40%ers. Seven skunk boxes later, last week's boxes also produced 20 40%ers in one box and a single 40% silver half from the other box. Also got my first painted silver coin, a '69. Not sure if it is nail polish or paint & will try acetone to remove it.

IMG_1427.jpg

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Better than what everyone else is pulling, congrats.

dibdab

Jan 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta like pulling silver a roll at a time.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! The painted half is likely a jukebox coin from a bar back in the day. I recommend you keep it as-is. May have a higher sale value to a collector.

wesleytyler

Jan 9, 2012
Myrtle Beach SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 66 "so far so good"
Garrett 350 "Great"
Garrett Freedom Plus "old school"
Garrett Pro Pin-pointer "fantastic"
Radio Shack "old school"
Auto-max Pin-Pointer precision V4 "crappy"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! The painted half is likely a jukebox coin from a bar back in the day. I recommend you keep it as-is. May have a higher sale value to a collector.

Good point! Thanks. And it is easier and less destructive to leave it as-is too. Glad that I hesitated to clean it until your feedback! Is there any significance to the red color for a jukebox?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta like pulling silver a roll at a time.

Yup! Finding exactly 20 for a second time makes me wonder if a solid roll of silver was dumped in the hopper to be MWR'd at the coin sorting center. Not 19, not 21, but exactly a whole roll. Two of the rolls in this box had two and one roll had three.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup! Finding exactly 20 for a second time makes me wonder if a solid roll of silver was dumped in the hopper to be MWR'd at the coin sorting center. Not 19, not 21, but exactly a whole roll. Two of the rolls in this box had two and one roll had three.

Nice score. Many years ago, I picked up a bag from a bank that my wife searched. It had exactly 20, 1964 Kennedy halves and no other keepers. I’d say you found a solid roll the hard way.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better than what everyone else is pulling, congrats.

It appears that way because we don't (usually) report our skunk boxes and streaks. Last night was a good example. While watching the World Series, I did two boxes - total was a single 40% silver (1966).

When we go fishing, we usually don't talk about the times we got skunked either. Those times seem like "failures", though we may have fished more technically correct.

But the chance of success is what keeps us going back for more! Good luck out there!

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score. Many years ago, I picked up a bag from a bank that my wife searched. It had exactly 20, 1964 Kennedy halves and no other keepers. I’d say you found a solid roll the hard way.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Good to hear from you Kantuck! Its hard to shake the mental image of someone at a sorting center opening a roll of solid silver and dumping it into the hopper...

Wish I could buy bags here. The head teller at one of my credit unions actually told me they were tripping over all the bags and I quickly offered to help her out by buying some. But they are afraid to run afoul of corporate policy prohibiting bag sales after some CRHers complained about being a few coins short.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear from you Kantuck! Its hard to shake the mental image of someone at a sorting center opening a roll of solid silver and dumping it into the hopper...

Wish I could buy bags here. The head teller at one of my credit unions actually told me they were tripping over all the bags and I quickly offered to help her out by buying some. But they are afraid to run afoul of corporate policy prohibiting bag sales after some CRHers complained about being a few coins short.

You bring up a really good point and I suspect that you're right about CRHers complaints making the hobby more difficult. Around 10 years ago, I didn't have much difficulty getting tellers to empty machines, even when only partially full. If they wouldn't sell the partial, I would offer to fill it and then pay the difference and many were open to that. Lately I've found few banks that will even sell the full bags. They say that it's policy to "send them to the Fed." I always figured that the foreign stuff and being shorted by a coin or three was just a cost of the hobby and that hitting nice scores much more than offset any shortages, so why bother drawing any unwanted attention and making tellers' jobs more difficult by making any fuss. I took the advice of others on here and gave chocolates and such to particularly friendly banks.

If they're tripping over bags, you probably aren't missing much. I find it much more likely that there's a volume hunter dropping bags on them than some old lady hauling in bags of Barbers, WLs, and Franklins. I ran into that years ago. I stopped by a bank in western Indiana. I asked if they had any halves. After buying the loose ones, she said that they had $5,000 in bags in the vault, which I hadn't run into before. I bought one, just to give it a try. My wife searched it in the car, since we were on a road trip and she immediately knew that it had been searched because there was a purple mark on the rim of every coin. She did find one lonely 40% half with a purple mark on the rim... Take that purple marker guy!!

I'd say the complaints from CRHers, volume hunting, and just the general increase in hunters, and subsequently awareness by tellers are the primary reasons that the hobby became much more difficult.

I'd like to get back into buying boxes on a regular basis but the ROI wasn't worth it for me. I was averaging 1 40% per $1,000 searched so I gave up boxes. I still do an occasional nickel box or cent box, but mainly pop in random banks on work trips so that I can stretch my legs for a bit.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread