Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Coin 1: if the dent is mint error then keep that one, but if it appears that it is PMD then coin 2 would be the coin to keep.
Of course the date and mm is prime importance.
Keep them both, why not.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
I do like Dozer's "Keep them both" sentiment, but I think it ultimately comes down to you. If coin 1's is a slight dent and everything else truly separates it from coin 2, yeah, keep coin 1. But if the dent is definitely PMD, and coin 2 is overall in better condition, keep coin 2. Basically, do you feel the extra detail/luster is enough to counter the dent? Honestly, a pic may help on this decision, unless this is purely hypothetical. Not sure how grading standards go, don't know enough on that, but maybe do something along that criteria. I'm sure the dent detracts, but is it enough to make the other a nicer/better/insert adjective here "overall" coin?

I'm almost of the mind where I want to start 2 new sets of folders for all my coins: worst and neatest. I have folders for cents, nickels, dimes, quarters and halves, and of course try to keep the nicest examples in them (except state quarters which I pretty much just have my 'first' of each in, as I did those as they came out). The nice detailed ones, no blemishes/knicks/dents/scratches, etc. Best of the best sorta deal. But, I also kinda want to keep the worst condition ones I find, just to have the juxtaposition between the two. Keep the mangled old copper one, or the zinc-rotting new lincolns. I also want to make a folder of the really neatly toned ones (mainly thinking cents here), just as a way to show the variety of the coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread