I finally found the cause (maybe) of the CWR's at my bank being skunky

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Friday I am doing my usual and waiting in line to cash/deposit my paycheck. In front of me at the teller is this older lady, and I mean she at a minimum was 75, maybe closer to 80 years old, and she has this ziplock bag with six rolls of cents that she puts on the counter. I'm thinking "Cool, I am so going to snatch those up seeing how this person must be turning in some goodies". But my hopes were dashed when I witnessed what happened next. She says "I'd like some new pennies please" as she slides the baggie to the teller. The teller smiles and takes the six rolls out of the baggie and places six new Loomis or whatever rolls back in and then the teller also puts in six new wrappers so that the old lady can roll them up and bring them back after searching them.

What did I just see?? Hasn't this lady ever heard of TNet and the rules about CRHing? So at this point I am screaming in my mind "YOU DO NOT TAKE YOUR COINS BACK TO THE SAME BANK THAT YOU GET THEM FROM!!".

Then I thought "So this is why my customer wrapped nickels have been skunky lately", thinking that maybe she does this for nickels too. Now I only get ten dollars/five rolls a week and when I'm done searching them I deposit them at my credit union which is in another town.

My bank branch is really close to where I work and I've been going there for over 25 years and this was a first. I'll have to ask the teller for new rolls next time. Up until this last summer, it did not matter much if they were machine wrapped rolls or customer wrapped as I was getting the same amount of keepers in either. But that has changed and I got to witness why.

Another day in the life of a CRHer. Later all.

Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shes pry bin going their for 40 years...

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Actually, the easiest thing to do is probably ask the teller that took the lady’s coins what the deal is. She may confirm that she’s been doing it for years, or there may be some other explanation. Again, you’ll likely get the best results by being upfront with a teller and telling her the truth that you collect coins; she might be able to help you out in other ways as well.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Six rolls of cents? Really? She is not going to change. Just get full boxes next time. I seem to be better with full boxes than anything else.

OP
OP
Scott (Mich)

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Six rolls, yup, she'll most likely never change. She so much reminded me of the Bugs Bunny cartoon where it was maybe Sylvester or Elmer are in a hurry and are trying to get to the next teller when this old lady goes to make a deposit "It's all in pennies" and starts counting them out..one...two...three....

Most of the tellers that have been there a while know that I'm trying to complete my Jefferson collection from circulation, but the new teller that I had last week probably didn't know, so the next time I'll ask her for rolls that are not someone else's dumps. I just didn't want to say anything at that time as the lady was leaving while I was being helped.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better six rolls than six boxes? Seems she would never make a dent in the supply at that pace lol.

OP
OP
Scott (Mich)

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday while cashing my paycheck I asked if they had any non-customer rolls of nickels and they had none. All they had at this bank branch were the same customer brought in rolls. I suspect someone, and not the little old lady, turned in a quite large dump of nickels as that is what each of the teller had. They rolls are easy to recognize as they are the blue writing type where you have to fold each end, but there is a mixture of some with fading - like some wrappers sat in the sun for a while, and some which are a brighter blue.

I'm hoping that this was just a one time dump and not someone's continuous dump bank now. What I'll do is probably see if they can order me a Loomis box and I'll take that instead of my usually ten dollars worth a week.

But last week, after not getting my usual nickels, I asked if they had any other unusual coins. The teller told me that they had $80 in Ike's. I took them. Rare to find them in my area. Kind of cool seeing the large $20 wrappers. In the rolls, except for one item, nothing other than standard Ike's, but it was fun looking. The one item was an AA sobriety 18 year brass token instead of a dollar, so I only got 79 Ike's. The brass token is worth about two bucks on ebay, so I guess I'm ahead lol.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Order a couple boxes and you will probably be able to complete the set quickly. It took me three boxes to get everything, including a few error coins.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Friday I am doing my usual and waiting in line to cash/deposit my paycheck. In front of me at the teller is this older lady, and I mean she at a minimum was 75, maybe closer to 80 years old, and she has this ziplock bag with six rolls of cents that she puts on the counter. I'm thinking "Cool, I am so going to snatch those up seeing how this person must be turning in some goodies". But my hopes were dashed when I witnessed what happened next. She says "I'd like some new pennies please" as she slides the baggie to the teller. The teller smiles and takes the six rolls out of the baggie and places six new Loomis or whatever rolls back in and then the teller also puts in six new wrappers so that the old lady can roll them up and bring them back after searching them.

What did I just see?? Hasn't this lady ever heard of TNet and the rules about CRHing? So at this point I am screaming in my mind "YOU DO NOT TAKE YOUR COINS BACK TO THE SAME BANK THAT YOU GET THEM FROM!!".

Then I thought "So this is why my customer wrapped nickels have been skunky lately", thinking that maybe she does this for nickels too. Now I only get ten dollars/five rolls a week and when I'm done searching them I deposit them at my credit union which is in another town.

My bank branch is really close to where I work and I've been going there for over 25 years and this was a first. I'll have to ask the teller for new rolls next time. Up until this last summer, it did not matter much if they were machine wrapped rolls or customer wrapped as I was getting the same amount of keepers in either. But that has changed and I got to witness why.

Another day in the life of a CRHer. Later all.

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::censored::censored::censored::sad11::sad11::sad11::cussing::angry4::angry9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread