Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in small town with only about 6 banks within 40-50 miles or so. loomis is the go company for MR. HALVES. Been almost 2 years and zippo nada. Now I do not get the numbers everybody else gets, but I do get $500 now and and then, or $200-300. Still, skunks all the way around. Is loomis cherry picking?

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
This gets brought up from time to time as a theory to explain the decreased finds. Someone will always chime in that they know someone who knows someone to lend credibility to the theory. But there is no proof to support the claim. If they used a discriminator on their machines to cull the silver, then they need to re-calibrate the device as there are plenty that still find silver.

Instead of trying to lend credence to a conspiracy theory of corporate culling, one just needs to find a simpler theory to the reason for decreased finds. CRH'ing is no secret. There are more hunters and an ever decreasing supply of silver in the system. The only way for the silver to find it's way into circulation is from the private sector. There is no magical stockpile that the Treasury is trickling out to distribution channels.

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
The only pickups that I do now are buying bags off of the machine from one credit union (obviously a very small sample size).

I find silver every single week, I average between 5-8 silver dimes per bag, and I only have been able to get one bag of halves thus far, but it was a solid score, I think 22 total keepers if I remember correctly.

People are out there dumping silver coins into circulation every day, so even if the coin handling companies are doing something like you guys are talking about, which I agree with Diver that they probably are not, individuals are still putting silver coins back into the money supply.

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in small town with only about 6 banks within 40-50 miles or so. loomis is the go company for MR. HALVES. Been almost 2 years and zippo nada. Now I do not get the numbers everybody else gets, but I do get $500 now and and then, or $200-300. Still, skunks all the way around. Is loomis cherry picking?

I get one box of halves each week from Loomis.

I get my share of skunk boxes like everyone else on this forum, but I've got 3 boxes this year with double digit silver.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need skunk repellent for halves:BangHead::BangHead:...... the neighbors are complaining:laughing9::laughing9:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loomis, Brinks, Garda, Dunbar etc. all use their own regional sorting centers. I think it is possible that sorting center staff could possibly snipe silver. I've wondered if my good boxes coincide with a sniper out sick or on vacation and a backup or substitute sorting center employee filling in for him/her and not knowing to snipe silver. But that's just pure conjecture.

Is it possible that you might be buying another CRHer's dumped halves? A teller once told me "Oh we have plenty of halves; one of our customers goes through them looking for silver and then re-rolls and brings in his rejects." I've had other tellers tell me "oh, you don't want these...".

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the law of diminishing returns, ha

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
Loomis, Brinks, Garda, Dunbar etc. all use their own regional sorting centers. I think it is possible that sorting center staff could possibly snipe silver.

This! I don't think couriers matter, but sorting centers do. There was a guy that used to post on here a few years ago that was employed by a sorting center in New York, although I don't recall his name. He said they didn't pull silver at his site, but his manager told him that for sure other sites within the same company did. To me, the difference in sorting centers explains why a certain type of box in my area (that's carried by both brinks and garda) are skunky. I usually push for the brinks supplied banks because they only occasionally get this type of box, whereas the garda banks seem to use this particular sorting center as their sole supplier. Truly what I think for my area is that the machines at the sorting center in question are more finely tuned as I find far less foreign coins as well. "You asked for 2500 dimes that weigh 2.25 grams? That's what we're gonna give you!"

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think if I worked for Loomis I'd keep my eye out for enders

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
We’re certain that NF String and son sorts, they sell coin rolling machines and wrappers. They have an ePay store in which they sell copper, silver and antique coins.

WeirderBeatle7

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We’re certain that NF String and son sorts, they sell coin rolling machines and wrappers. They have an ePay store in which they sell copper, silver and antique coins.

Do you happen to have the username of said feebay seller?

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I saw the word Loomis I thought the thread was going to be about a high end fishing rod

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

While there is a chance it is the sorting center sniping silver, the more likely scenario is that you have one or more people in your area that search halves heavily (or at least dump halves into your district when done searching) and you are getting their dumps. If you are dumping back in your own area, you could also be receiving some of your own dumps back.

I am not an advocate of marking coins to see if you get your coins back, so what I recommend is that you pull all of a certain lower mintage common date (or dates) before dumping and if you start getting boxes without any of those dates in them, you'll know you are getting your own coins back. For the common coins pulled, either spend them or save up a bunch and cash them all in at once.

I have seen some on here talk about 50 box skunk streaks. Ultimately, you'll have to decide if what you are doing is worth the effort or not. Just because it works in some areas of the country doesn't mean it will work in all areas as some areas have been more heavily searched than others.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I get silver from Loomis, right now in a sort of dry streak but the bags I have gotten direct off the counting machines are also dry, so around here no one is dumping that I can see, but it will change

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Search TreasureNet for posts by Liu21. He used to work in a sorting/rolling center, don’t remember which one, but it was one of the major three. At his, cherry picking was strictly forbidden, a fireable offense.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Search TreasureNet for posts by Liu21. He used to work in a sorting/rolling center, don’t remember which one, but it was one of the major three. At his, cherry picking was strictly forbidden, a fireable offense.

Didn't he also load up certain boxes and mark them as a surprise for whomever received them downstream?

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do you happen to have the username of said feebay seller?

Sorry, I’ve posted it several times and don’t remember off hand. It’s out there.
Pretty sure it is webcoins https://www.ebay.com/str/webcoins

They sell everything that you might find in the trash bin of counting machines (or in the coin bags):
- Foreign coins
- Ikes
- SBA
- Tokens
- Ball Marks (golf green place marks)
- Fashion tags
- Guitar picks
- Charms
- Painted/novelty coins
- Paper clips <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< yup, they are selling USED paper clips
- Micro SD cards

WeirderBeatle7

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure it is webcoins https://www.ebay.com/str/webcoins

They sell everything that you might find in the trash bin of counting machines (or in the coin bags):
- Foreign coins
- Ikes
- SBA
- Tokens
- Ball Marks (golf green place marks)
- Fashion tags
- Guitar picks
- Charms
- Painted/novelty coins
- Paper clips <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< yup, they are selling USED paper clips
- Micro SD cards

I found this guy a couple months back and got pretty excited. I saw he was doing something I was crunching numbers for a year ago; sorting large volumes of coin with a commercial coin sorter. He has bulk penny lots listed which is what originally peaked my curiosity. Looking further into his listings I came the the conclusion that he was sorting every denomination and was doing it on a large scale. I personally have found less that a half dozen screwdriver bits in the 50+ bags of coins I’ve searched this year and he sells 3lb lots of mixed bits every couple days!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread