Halves : Why I Hunt Halves

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After a long skunk and near-skunk stretch with (Loomis) half-dollar boxes, this week's box was finally a good one.

Bad news : no 90% silver

Good news : 26 40% silver (8 '66, 6 '67, 10 '68D, 2 '69D)

That's the most silver coins I've found so far in a box.

It's the 40% silver dynamic that distinguishes halves from dimes and quarters -- it appears someone who had been hording halves was ignorant of the 40% ones and just dumped them all.

BTW, I also found an impaired proof clad bicentennial half and I 'caught' and released a 1987P half.

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder how difficult it would be if dimes & qtrs were also 40% (1965-69).

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder how difficult it would be if dimes & qtrs were also 40% (1965-69).

Well if mintage numbers remained the same that would be pretty awesome considering the number of dimes and quarters minted in 1965 as a result of people hording the discontinued silver coins. :)

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the silver Blue! It feels good to have a great box after a skunk streak. I am on my worst streak right now at 7 boxes.:tongue3:

I have found 7 1987 Kennedys (P&D) in the past month, very unusual. When I began CRH, I went many months before finding my first one. In fact, I was building Dansco Kennedy albums for my 4 kids at the time, and had to buy all 8 of the 1987s from a fellow on another forum. I should have waited because afterwards I started to find them, lol. I now have about a roll from each mint. Did you "release" your 1987-P because it was in bad shape or because you have enough of them? Just curious.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the silver Blue! It feels good to have a great box after a skunk streak. I am on my worst streak right now at 7 boxes.:tongue3:

I have found 7 1987 Kennedys (P&D) in the past month, very unusual. When I began CRH, I went many months before finding my first one. In fact, I was building Dansco Kennedy albums for my 4 kids at the time, and had to buy all 8 of the 1987s from a fellow on another forum. I should have waited because afterwards I started to find them, lol. I now have about a roll from each mint. Did you "release" your 1987-P because it was in bad shape or because you have enough of them? Just curious.
I'm CRHing for the silver primarily (maybe error coins as well); as such, I have no interest in completing a set of Kennedys, so I just released it back into the general population. It was in probably XF / AU condition.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post I like halves also just starting to crh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread