Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After some epic losing battles vs the skunks early this year, they now appear to be in retreat, or licking their wounds while re-grouping, or have moved to your neck of the woods (sorry!).

This week's two boxes again produced 20 silver, four in one box and 16 in the other. The breakdown is
1941-D Walker (date almost all worn off), 1963-D Ben, 1964 x 3, 1966 x 5, 1967 x 4, 1968 x 4, 1969 x 2. So, 5 90% and 15 40%.

IMG_1448.jpg

In the last 2 months, this makes 3 times for 20 or more silver in a box, including last week's 50 in one box, and this one time for 20 in two boxes combined. There were some skunks mixed in, including a 5 box skunk streak (short streak compared to this Spring).

If I accidentally activated the skunk-be-gone, it would be nice if I could remember how it was done. I know better than to declare victory after a few good battles.

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great catch, congrats on your VICTORY over the skunks.

dibdab

Jan 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Do your boxes have numbers stamped on them?

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great catch, congrats on your VICTORY over the skunks.

Thanks Dozer. I realize such victories are temporary but I am enjoying them.

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine didn't come in today!???

Yup. Its a disappointment when we get hooked on something and it doesn't come through when expected. Last time it happened to me, the teller was so apologetic that she offered to get me twice as many boxes the next week - and they turned out to be all skunks!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just not my week. Found out the site I was considering for tomorrow has been pounded nearly every day for the last month with a PI machine. Coin dealer was ticked at me for not buying anything after he ID'd my coin, (I did get something a little later), lady at the bank gave me the "you want to order ANOTHER box" look from perdition. Cat got sick on the bed - twice. Two other good sites have knee high corn stubble, so wouldn't be able to swing there correctly, and my betta fish is sick! Had to go to THREE gas stations to find an air pump that actually worked! PLUS the real Smokeythecat has a kitty cancer, it's a skin type, very small, and I'll have it removed. He had one of these about 5 years ago. Just more $$$. This kind isn't normally an issue if you catch them early. Now on a dog - it's curtains. AND the BIG cat, well, I bought a tent style cat bed and he can't fit in it! I just may make a kitty bed tomorrow for them.

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just not my week. Found out the site I was considering for tomorrow has been pounded nearly every day for the last month with a PI machine. Coin dealer was ticked at me for not buying anything after he ID'd my coin, (I did get something a little later), lady at the bank gave me the "you want to order ANOTHER box" look from perdition. Cat got sick on the bed - twice. Two other good sites have knee high corn stubble, so wouldn't be able to swing there correctly, and my betta fish is sick! Had to go to THREE gas stations to find an air pump that actually worked! PLUS the real Smokeythecat has a kitty cancer, it's a skin type, very small, and I'll have it removed. He had one of these about 5 years ago. Just more $$$. This kind isn't normally an issue if you catch them early. Now on a dog - it's curtains. AND the BIG cat, well, I bought a tent style cat bed and he can't fit in it! I just may make a kitty bed tomorrow for them.

Sorry Smokey,
That's pretty hard-core to hit a field every day with a PI machine. I'm guessing it gave up something good on the edge of VLF depth capability and the hunter went to PI for depth. Some coin dealers might have appreciated seeing a historic coin just to relieve the daily boredom of selling bullion coins. My pickup banks are happy to do standing orders. Are you using well water in the betta tank and occasional partial water changes at the same temperature? If there is any visible injury, have you tried either dilute melafix or pimafix? With all the driving you do, and in places where you might damage a tire, you really should keep a small plug-in compressor in the back. Now I know what to get you for Christmas. Sorry about the cat cancer. We had our door darter bolt tonight and had to outwit her to capture her before a feral or coyote got to her. I finally got an invoice for the boat trailer repair - nearly all labor at $95/hour, I could have bought a new trailer cheaper, oh well...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Word is he got hundreds of bullets. Cat will be fine. He's 12. Had this once before a mast cell tumor. Just more $$$ and a little stress. Fish has had a couple water changes, Betafix, and now a parasite control and a anti bacterial. No more tools in the toolbag. I keep fixaflat in both vehicles, I'd drive it a few miles and have someone fix it for me! Or call my road service. I haven't used them in years!

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice run...After seeing this, I think it's now officially safe to declare victory over the skunks. They won't be back again....unless of course they're plotting a revenge tour, but it's probably that they're just going extinct is all...

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice run...After seeing this, I think it's now officially safe to declare victory over the skunks. They won't be back again....unless of course they're plotting a revenge tour, but it's probably that they're just going extinct is all...

I'm not increasing my orders at this bank this time. The last time I was convinced the skunks had gone extinct, I increased my standing order to 3 boxes/week - and promptly started a new mega skunk streak. Was it overconfidence? Not tempting fate this time.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have one Tuesday and another Friday. The banker was frowning...

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have one Tuesday and another Friday. The banker was frowning...

Don't get your hopes up! I always expect the worst; if the worst actually happens, then I am not disappointed but if the result is better than the worst, then great!

OP
OP
Megalodon

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow mega, very nice!

Thanks! I'm cautiously optimistic while knowing times will change. We never post pictures of no good finds in the midst of those inevitable epic skunk streaks.

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Really nice couple of boxes you have had there. Nice to see the skunks taking a break.
Congratulations!

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to see you pocketing silver again! I’m on a 9 box skunker right now, the worst in my 2-3/4 years of CRH for halves. Taking a one month break due to other commitments, and have canceled my box orders until then. May try to snag some silver out of teller trays if I get the opportunity, but won’t be doing the hardcore CRH until December when hopefully the Christmas silver will be flowing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread