Completed my Jefferson CRH set today - with stats and pictures!!!

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Today I was dumping at 4 different banks and hit exactly one pick-up bank in between. Grabbed $5 in pennies, $20 in nickels, $50 in dimes and the only $20 they had in halves. Key find from that was a 1943-D war nickel I needed to finish my CRH Jefferson set. Super stoked to find it. Below are some stats and pictures:

Total nickels hunted: $24,146 (482,920 total nickels - not even half a million!)
War nickels: 154
Buffalo nickel: 247 (found 172 in a single dump)
V nickels: 11 (4 found with the buffalo dump)
Proof nickels: 39 (14 found in the same roll, along with MS P+D from the same dates)
Foreign: 77, not counting Canadian
Hardest to find: 1943-D, 1950-D - found multiples of everything else
Errors: 4 clipped planchet, 3 cuds, several nice die clash and greasers.

Overall there are some really nice coins in there. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_4701.JPG
    IMG_4701.JPG
    954.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4702.JPG
    IMG_4702.JPG
    995.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4703.JPG
    IMG_4703.JPG
    929 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4704.JPG
    IMG_4704.JPG
    911.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4705.JPG
    IMG_4705.JPG
    920.8 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 0

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey congratulations, Twitch! Quite the accomplishment along with some very nice stats. I wonder what the typical volume required to finish this set is...have you heard or read anything?

So what's next for you? Do you have any new near-term goals as you continue the hunt?

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Hey congratulations, Twitch! Quite the accomplishment along with some very nice stats. I wonder what the typical volume required to finish this set is...have you heard or read anything?

So what's next for you? Do you have any new near-term goals as you continue the hunt?
Thanks Sleepy. In regard to nickels I'll keep hunting them. Going to call this set 1 and start working on set 2. I hunt with my 2 boys and I'd like them both have a from circulation set for there collections. Plus I like hunting nickels. Earlier this year I finished my Kennedy set. I'm still working on my Roosevelt set (following your search as well). I've actually found nearly all the hard to find dimes. Once I complete Kennedy, 2 Jefferson's, Roosevelt and Eisenhower's I'll hang up my CRH'ing tools.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Scratch one item off your bucket list, job well done. How long did it take from filling that FIRST slot to now.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Twitch! Looking at how many nickels it took you to complete your collection, I would have to search about 46 years total at my current rate, 10 years into it already. Looks like I'll have to step it up a bit. I only need three more from circulation to complete mine. I got lucky and found a 50-D last summer, so the hard one is out of the way. Don't have my list in front of me, but I need one of the '38's, a 43-D..or maybe the S, plus another in the 40's if I remember correctly. I could easily buy the three I need, but what fun is that? Happy Hunting All.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats man! Jealous of the Buffalo and V nickel #'s there! 172 is a great herd to find!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! And thanks for sharing your interesting records. In the course of filling the book, did you replace already found coins with higher grades as you found them?

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Congrats! And thanks for sharing your interesting records. In the course of filling the book, did you replace already found coins with higher grades as you found them?
Yes. I would upgrade a coin in the book any time I found a better example.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread