Upvote 0

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
In a box of nickels? If from the bank it may be uncirculated, but it's not a proof. Proofs are specially minted and not circulated for you to find in a box. Even if it was originally a proof it isn't now being mixed in circulated coins.

Last edited:
OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
In a box of nickels? If from the bank it may be uncirculated, but it's not a proof. Proofs are specially minted and not circulated for you to find in a box. Even if it was originally a proof it isn't now being mixed in circulated coins.

I find lots of proofs in boxes, especially halves. Finding them in circulation doesn't end their life as proof. If some dingaling empties daddy's drawer of proofs by spending them, they get into circulation. If Grandpa dies and they take all his coins to the bank they get circulated. Still proof, regardless of where they're found. This one may very well be from a mint set and I could have misjudged it's origin but a real proof never stops being proof.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard them called impaired proofs. "Proof" is how they are struck. Now getting a "proof" price for them, that's another whole story.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
This remains proof, even with fingerprints all over it!

Attachments

• 16proof.jpg
    16proof.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 67

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...... and, I have sold many Proofs culled from boxes of halves, dimes, nickels, & qtrs.----- at a nifty price over face:laughing9:

that '63 has STEPS---- very hard to find since the dies were beaten until they would bleed:laughing9:

:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright: halfdime :hello2:

just sold a roll of BUNC '00-P Sac dollars for $36 :happysmiley:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I toss mine back...haven't found many, maybe three half proofs and they had become dog food by the time I got them.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
So how do you prove they were proofs for some of them? No question the numerical number for the condition will drop much lower as will the value of the coin.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that is one VERY CLEAR SHARP '63 Jeff., and out of a box yet. Better than some original minted proofs. Congrats on saving it from circulation.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
So how do you prove they were proofs for some of them? No question the numerical number for the condition will drop much lower as will the value of the coin.

In some years, the only thing minted in San Francisco were proof coins. In others, the finish on the coin is an indicator. Some proofs have been circulated heavily and it can be difficult. For some reason, I'm able to spot them.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Proof isn't a grade. It's a coin struck on special made dies. No matter what the condition, it will always be a proof coin.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that is one VERY CLEAR SHARP '63 Jeff., and out of a box yet. Better than some original minted proofs. Congrats on saving it from circulation.

Sorry, but I see some chip marks on it from banging other coins even though minor. One can't say it is uncirculated as somebody had to spend it before it made it's way to the bank.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
In some years, the only thing minted in San Francisco were proof coins. In others, the finish on the coin is an indicator. Some proofs have been circulated heavily and it can be difficult. For some reason, I'm able to spot them.
Very true as a date and/or mint mark could give it away. The finish gets worse in most cases and comparing to a very good unc coin can be rough as the unc coin may be better. I would need proof of a coin said to be a proof when found in circulation and that's sometimes very hard to do in many cases.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Proof isn't a grade. It's a coin struck on special made dies. No matter what the condition, it will always be a proof coin.
Yes, i am aware it isn't a grade, but even proofs can get a grade. So let's give it a PF68 instead of an unc 68 just as an example ok? The condition in both cases to me would make it worth equal to the unc 68 even if it is a proof, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
BTW, correct me if you think I'm wrong, but isn't one condition of being a proof is that it isn't touched by man?

I know the descriptions equal to the numerical condition are somewhat of a misnomer. A value of 68 would be classed as uncirculated at least, but it can be proven that a proof coin has to have been circulated in order to get to the bank as they did not get it from the mint. Maybe I'm picking my own nits here.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread