Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For just dirt and grease, I wash gently with Dawn. After that if you think you may have something good, it would depend if it were silver or not. For very old coins, even water can ruin them. Mechanical cleaning is best for old stuff.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A couple of drops of Dawn Liquid soap in a small Rx bottle with hot tap water, shake, let stand for 2-3 days shaking every now & then, rinse with hot tap water, tap dry. It removes a lot of that oily grease on the coin but does not polish to a high finish. Try it first on some none important coins to see for yourself.

OP
OP
D

Daani

May 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sorry if this is the wrong place for the question but please help.
I know that cleaning the coins is not a good idea but what do you do when you want to check MM and mistakes there. Often they are so badly full of grease and dirt how can I see anything.
Please, what do you guys do?

Thank you guys for the responses. Question I have what do you mean with mechanical cleaning? Can't use a brush or something?

OP
OP
D

Daani

May 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of drops of Dawn Liquid soap in a small Rx bottle with hot tap water, shake, let stand for 2-3 days shaking every now & then, rinse with hot tap water, tap dry. It removes a lot of that oily grease on the coin but does not polish to a high finish. Try it first on some none important coins to see for yourself.

Thank you for the responses. Question what do you mean with mechanical cleaning? A cloth doesn't do much. Help

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread