Found a really nice Buffalo - 10th of the year

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this close to AU condition 1936 Buffalo in a roll of nickels today. This is by far the nicest Buffalo I have ever pulled from circulation - particularly given how these coins wear so easily. 10th Buffalo I have found this year.

1936 buff 12-12obv.jpg

1936 buff 12-12rev.jpg

Other recent activity:

Other than the steady stream of silver dimes (continue to average about 1 per $150), haven't found much. Halves have been quiet lately (not even much volume to search). Even wheat cents have been tough lately. Just the ebbs and flows of the hobby.

HH

Upvote 0

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! That's a beautiful buffalo!

Back when these were still circulating in the late 1950's - 1960's, I never got one so nice. Such a beautiful coin when the high points are not worn.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice! I hardly ever get lucky and find one of those or a SLQ with the date. You're a lucky guy! Great Find!

Kace

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its hard to grade coins from photos, but from what I can see, this one should qualify for "choice" in the EF or AU grades. So, I think EF-45 at worst, and maybe AU-53 or AU-55. It is an attractive coin with excellent eye appeal. I much prefer the "choice" coins like this one than the lower grades of UNC like a baggy MS-60, and especially when well-struck.

If we had a banner just for the CRH forum, this find would merit my vote.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'34 to '37 with near full horn are common--- I have a bunch. still... worth a few bucks:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'34 to '37 with near full horn are common--- I have a bunch. still... worth a few bucks:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Maybe i should start getting some nickel rolls...IMO, that is an under-rated coin in choice grades.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats! That's a beautiful buffalo!

Back when these were still circulating in the late 1950's - 1960's, I never got one so nice. Such a beautiful coin when the high points are not worn.

Yeah they are really nice coins, too bad when the mint couldn't find a way to protect the features of the coin from so much wear.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other

Yeah 1936 is the most common date - but I have never gotten one in circulation in this good of condition. I have bought them in the past.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice buff to find grazing in the wild, congrats on saving it from further circulation wear.

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Any Buffalo is a nice find, let alone one in that great of condition!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread