Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to an out of the way bank. In the woods, off the interstate, 5 stores in the entire town and of course they didn't have any halves so I got a box of quarters, which in itself is amazing as sometimes they don't HAVE a box.

I opened the first roll and saw the unmistakable white color of silver on edge! Methinks! Oh no! A Canadian quarter! But no! It's a 1955 Washington! I went through the rest of the box and it was somebody's dump, maybe part of the great coin chase thingie started in the spring. I got two more silver quarters! I never did quarters in the past, so three silver quarters in a box was a first for me!

IMG_1197.JPG

Fortunately I didn't get any nickels in the roll. I got a few recently. Bummer. Also in this box were about four rolls of mixed BU state quarters!

I'm keeping those! New thought - I'm selling those!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a sampling of the BU state quarters. IMG_1201.JPG IMG_1202.JPG

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Sweet cull of silver. I've been hitting the quarters this year, and am constantly surprised to see some of the state quarters in BU condition. Finding a 1999 or early 2000 specimen with the bright shiny copper edge, and I am left thinking, "where have you been hiding for the past couple of decades?"

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds. I've been insanely fortunate with silver quarters so far, but nothing for W's.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done OK on the W's, but I'm up to $25,000 in quarters now. I have 105 BU quarters I'm going to sell. I pulled the culls out. Folks WILL buy them if the price is right.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work Smokey! I can't remember the last time someone posted 3 silver quarters in one box. Looks like a collection dump. Congrats!

I like the new sig too. Stay mysterious 8-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I iz misterrioussss. I also can't remember anyone posting 3 silvers in one box. Last box before this one I got 5 nickels and a Canadian quarter.

I went back through them and pulled out a complete set of uncirculated state quarters, for Philadelphia. Has to be somebody's dump box.

Last edited:

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
Concerning the BU state quarters, I think some in the general public thought they'd be worth money one day. After holding them for 20 years, they find they're not getting rich, so time to dump.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Concerning the BU state quarters, I think some in the general public thought they'd be worth money one day. After holding them for 20 years, they find they're not getting rich, so time to dump.

Yes. And they were also marketed to non-traditional coin collectors on late night tv and magazines at a silly premium. The folks attracted to such marketing are dying off and the heirs don't know what to do with the state quarters, hummels, franklin mint stuff, porcelain figurines, stuffed toys etc.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got that right, Megalodon. One reason I've been downsizing now for quite some time. Even dispensed with some never will be used cemetery lots and two vacant pieces of land.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a guy dump rolled quarters at a bank today. I'll go Monday and get them. He was middle aged, and from the little conversation I had with him, he is not a collector, just dumping change. I did get a new box today. Looking for W's.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW the box I got today had absolutely nothing of interest in it. Oh well.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW the box I got today had absolutely nothing of interest in it. Oh well.

Skunks are the rule. I think posting about them, as you have, is useful to show that not all CRH experiences are like the videos we see. Most people don't post disappointing results - but those are just as useful, maybe even more so, to portray a snapshot of the hobby.

Wishing you the best in 2020 and Happy Cygnus!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread