2019 Results - Good after a very slow start

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
2019 turned out to be an OK year only because a few lucky finds kept it from being relatively bad. The finding of 2 solid CWR of silver dimes on two separate occasions helped the cause in dimes significantly, and a wheat cent dump of about $6.50 in solid wheat rolls helped those numbers (prior posts). A chunk of the 40% halves came from 2 solid silver rolls of mixed 40%/90% (prior post also). Generally speaking, it is clearly getting more difficult to find stuff.

Found 39 1/2 oz of silver in 2019. I don't search boxes.

Breakdowns:

Cents:
$1,672 searched - 1,610 wheat, 3 IH - Just under 1 per $1 searched. About 650 were from the collection dump mentioned above.
Also found 11 Canadian George VI and 1 George V

Nickels:
$2,180 searched - 15 war nickels, 11 buffaloes, 1 V nickel (1912). 3 of the buffaloes were dateless. Also found a 1938D and a 1939D during the year. Between good date Jeffs, buffaloes, and the V, it comes out to a 0.10% hit rate. Also found 45 Canadian nickels.

Dimes:
$21,825 searched - 202 silver total - 183 FDR, 16 mercury, 1 barber (1910D - prior post), and 2 silver canadian. Probably 2 or 3 dimes came from coinstar machine finds. This averages out to a silver hit rate of 0.093% (so call it 1 per $125 or so). Took searching $1,335 to find my first silver dime of 2019. The annual totals were significantly helped by the 2 rolls discussed above. Without those 2 rolls, the dime results would not have been that good.
Also found 87 non-silver Canadian dimes, and 38 British 5 pence pieces

Quarters:
$1,610 searched - 1 1945 silver, no Ws.

Halves:
$1,480 searched - 114 total silver halves found - 85 40%, 16 1964 90%, 10 Ben, 3 Walkers. Silver success rate was good at 3.85%. Teller loose halves were very good to me this year.
In addition, found 119 impaired clad proofs or 1987s (earlier post), and 97 NIFC after 2002. No boxes searched.

Dollars:
$199 searched - 1 impaired Peace $1 (prior post). In addition, found 68 impaired clad proof Ikes (prior post) - found these with the impaired proof halves mentioned above

There were also a variety of other foreign coins found, but none worth mentioning.

Best of luck to all in 2020. HH!!!

Upvote 0

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, these are very good results relative to the amount examined and not going through boxes. If my silver half rate was anywhere near your rate, I'd be buried in silver...

Must have missed the story about the Peace dollar - how did you get one of those by CRH?

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
IMO, these are very good results relative to the amount examined and not going through boxes. If my silver half rate was anywhere near your rate, I'd be buried in silver...

Must have missed the story about the Peace dollar - how did you get one of those by CRH?

The Peace dollar was given to me in a lot of about $10 large dollars earlier in the year. Upon further examination of it, it is impaired because it is lighter weight and is it not in "coin alignment". I can tell from the edge reeding that someone may have opened up the coin and did something to its weight (maybe "removed some silver from the inner core of the coin before putting it back together")?

Boxes have never worked for me in the past and I have no place to dump large quantities of halves - even if I were able to search boxes. So I stick to whatever the banks have on hand - and the hit rate generally turns out good. In my area there are a lot of people and banks and over the course of time, halves that people had saved for many years turn over. I have had particular luck with loose / teller tray halves as well. If I searched boxes, the rate would go down by a lot but the total amount of silver found would probably go up just because of the increase in volume.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions