Shot myself in the foot

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Well...this sucks. Lady at work had set aside a few more random foreign coins they found for me. Gave them a quarter to even it out, they said I didn't need to. Given my role, this seemed odd, so I e-mailed my supervisor and explained the situation. Low and behold, I'm not supposed to buy coins like that. There is no "official" company policy for them, but they don't want people doing that apparently. Basically, they're just supposed to set them aside in a secure place until corporate tells them what to do. I mentioned this, and 2 of them knew that and had been (already have a big ol pile of random coins), one had been throwing them away (NOOOOOOOOOOO) and another had set them aside for me... So yeah, try to do a good thing and screwed myself in the process. Half tempted to naively e-mail the people in corporate who control it to get permission to buy them, but doubt that'd go over too well... So yeah, no more foreign goodies from work for a while, if at all...

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the trouble with foreign modern coins, is that unless you are traveling to that country, the banks, at least here, won't take them and you have to have at least $100 in that CURRENCY, not coin, to cash it in. I have been giving any I find in rolls to the young folks at the convenience stores.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Well...this sucks. Lady at work had set aside a few more random foreign coins they found for me. Gave them a quarter to even it out, they said I didn't need to. Given my role, this seemed odd, so I e-mailed my supervisor and explained the situation. Low and behold, I'm not supposed to buy coins like that. There is no "official" company policy for them, but they don't want people doing that apparently. Basically, they're just supposed to set them aside in a secure place until corporate tells them what to do. I mentioned this, and 2 of them knew that and had been (already have a big ol pile of random coins), one had been throwing them away (NOOOOOOOOOOO) and another had set them aside for me... So yeah, try to do a good thing and screwed myself in the process. Half tempted to naively e-mail the people in corporate who control it to get permission to buy them, but doubt that'd go over too well... So yeah, no more foreign goodies from work for a while, if at all...

Just be thankful you left your sawed off 12 gauge at home today. Give it time. You'll find a solution.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure that your heart was in the right place by trying to make up for a shortage in the till by offering a quarter. But corporate officers did not get to their high paid positions by trusting employees or by using common sense. They could make a slippery slope argument about future sniping. Its similar to our dump banks - where foreign or obsolete US coinage is routinely dumped in the trash because there is either no policy or because there is some branch custom of not giving it to customers. If I was a branch manager, I'd save up all the foreign coins and donate them to a school to use for geography lessons. That's one reason why I'm not a bank manager...

I'd let the issue drop; nothing good can come for you by disturbing corporate officers from their martini or skirt-chasing time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread