Should have quit early - would have saved a ton of time

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Had some time this afternoon, so went to some banks, including some that are a bit further from where I live that I haven't been to in months if not years.

Left the house with $80 or so in change that I was going to dump along the way

Went into bank 1 - this is one that is fairly close to me that pick up at regularly - got $50 in dimes, $8 in nickels, and $2 in pennies
When I got back in the car, i looked through them because I wanted to dump these along with the coins I had so that I can recycle some of the money into other coins.
Picked up a 1947 FDR dime and a 1943P war nickel. Nice finds out of $60. If I turned and went back home, I would have been done in less than a half-hour.

But no, the call of the further away banks and new territory keeps me going - and it all goes downhill to skunksville
Over the next 1 1/2 hours or so, I got another $230 in dimes, $32 in nickels, $9 in pennies and $9 in loose halves at between 4 or 5 banks.

Literally got nothing other than 2 common date wheat cents - complete waste of time.
At 2 of these further away banks, It is pretty clear that someone is CRH halves because one teller told me they often get a lot of rolls of halves (obviously a dump) and the other told me that many people have asked for halves.

Upvote 0

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
Not a complete waste of time - you gained more intel on your surrounding area, which IMO can be more valuable than finding random silver, and you got to spend hours doing what you love! Congrats on the keepers you did pull! :thumbsup:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I just went through 4-boxes of dimes from 4 DIFFERENT Banks, only one silver. Is the silver drying up, or are there more hunters out there? It comes and goes, and is the holiday silver streak over, who knows. We all do it as a hobby and the thrill of the hunt, lets the adrenaline flow if we find just ONE.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like my recent quests, the further the worse. I am trying to stay quick and dirty and close to home, not leaving my travel route and only stopping at banks on the way to where I am otherwise going. Dozer, man I couldn't handle that. I am too fragile rt now.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did get a couple keepers but the hunt itself can be fun even when it doesnt pay

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have taken a break from crh'ing. Nothing much was showing up.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went through 4-boxes of dimes from 4 DIFFERENT Banks, only one silver. Is the silver drying up, or are there more hunters out there? It comes and goes, and is the holiday silver streak over, who knows. We all do it as a hobby and the thrill of the hunt, lets the adrenaline flow if we find just ONE.

I'm on a 17 box dime skunk streak. I keep saying "I give up" and then fall to temptation again. Rinse, repeat, etc. At least the quarters are interesting with all the different designs - and I found my first "W" this week in just my 10th roll.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread