Another one!

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I got a call from one of my pick-up banks, which is tucked away in a little borough founded in the 1680's. I pick up one box of halves per week from this bank, which aren't the best boxes but the silver stream is a steady trickle. Very few skunks come out of this branch; in fact, I had exactly three out of 43 boxes of halves that I picked up from this bank that were skunks in all of 2019.

When I got the call yesterday, I assumed it was to let me know my box of halves had come in early.

Nope.

"A customer just dropped off $43 in big dollar coins, plus $7.50 in half dollars. Do you want me to hold on to them until tomorrow when your box comes in?"

I told her yes, to hold on to them for me. But that I would be in today (yesterday), in about 30 minutes when I go on my lunch break.

Now, this bank gets very little customer coin in. So anytime that some comes in, I try and scoop it up as quickly as possible otherwise a few of the Ol' Codgers that frequent the bank will. Especially so for "big dollar coins."

So I get there and my favorite teller welcomes me and motions for me to come over to her, as the lady who had called was on her lunch break.

She hands me an envelope with the dollar coins and the halves and I can hear that most recognizable of sounds. I hand her the money in exchange, thank her, and be on my way, giddy.

All of the dollar coins were Ikes; no varieties or errors, but the lot does give up a 1971S silver.

That's my second silver Ike, another 1971S, in just one year and two weeks. Crazy to find another silver Ike almost exactly to the day that I found my first last year.

And out of the $7.50 in loose halves I scored two 40%ers: 1967 x 2.

8-) 8-) 8-)

one.jpg

two.jpg

three.jpg

four.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, Congrats, you've got your own little silver mine there!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish my tellers were so watchful. Most of them forget who you are as soon as you step away from their window, even after months & years coming to them.

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish my tellers were so watchful. Most of them forget who you are as soon as you step away from their window, even after months & years coming to them.

I grew up with this girl, we dated in the past and she's good friends with my current girlfriend. We've known each other for almost 25 years.

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk about bad tellers. I went to cash in some loose pennies at the bank, and the bags were full, so they had to swap out the bags. The teller goes to dump the reject bin and I put my hand out and said I'll take that dump them in my hand trash and all. She quickly replied no and threw them in the trash barrel. How sad is that, I should have taken them out of the barrel but I didn't. My other bank gladly gives me the rejects.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk about bad tellers. I went to cash in some loose pennies at the bank, and the bags were full, so they had to swap out the bags. The teller goes to dump the reject bin and I put my hand out and said I'll take that dump them in my hand trash and all. She quickly replied no and threw them in the trash barrel. How sad is that, I should have taken them out of the barrel but I didn't. My other bank gladly gives me the rejects.

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::censored::sad11::sad11::angry4::cussing::argue:

well my, my, my, ----no cookies for her

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy that teller lunch. That's awesome

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
That silver Ike is a great find. Really nice to hear the sound of silver in the envelope.
I was close to buying one, but I found one like 3 years ago - same date 1971S.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread