Another one!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree34Likes
  • 12 Post By TheMastermind
  • 3 Post By SD51
  • 4 Post By Dozer D
  • 4 Post By TheMastermind
  • 5 Post By Johnny5
  • 3 Post By port ewen ace
  • 2 Post By A2coins
  • 1 Post By CJ9

Thread: Another one!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Poet—Traveler—Soldier of Fortune

Mar 2012
    Pennsy
    1571 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Another one!

Yesterday I got a call from one of my pick-up banks, which is tucked away in a little borough founded in the 1680's. I pick up one box of halves per week from this bank, which aren't the best boxes but the silver stream is a steady trickle. Very few skunks come out of this branch; in fact, I had exactly three out of 43 boxes of halves that I picked up from this bank that were skunks in all of 2019.

When I got the call yesterday, I assumed it was to let me know my box of halves had come in early.

Nope.

"A customer just dropped off $43 in big dollar coins, plus $7.50 in half dollars. Do you want me to hold on to them until tomorrow when your box comes in?"

I told her yes, to hold on to them for me. But that I would be in today (yesterday), in about 30 minutes when I go on my lunch break.

Now, this bank gets very little customer coin in. So anytime that some comes in, I try and scoop it up as quickly as possible otherwise a few of the Ol' Codgers that frequent the bank will. Especially so for "big dollar coins."

So I get there and my favorite teller welcomes me and motions for me to come over to her, as the lady who had called was on her lunch break.

She hands me an envelope with the dollar coins and the halves and I can hear that most recognizable of sounds. I hand her the money in exchange, thank her, and be on my way, giddy.

All of the dollar coins were Ikes; no varieties or errors, but the lot does give up a 1971S silver.

That's my second silver Ike, another 1971S, in just one year and two weeks. Crazy to find another silver Ike almost exactly to the day that I found my first last year.

And out of the $7.50 in loose halves I scored two 40%ers: 1967 x 2.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	one.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	324.9 KB 
ID:	1793558

Name:	two.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	298.3 KB 
ID:	1793559

Name:	three.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	1793560

Name:	four.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	351.4 KB 
ID:	1793561
    Last edited by TheMastermind; Jan 23, 2020 at 08:45 AM. Reason: spelling
    SD51, Megalodon, weighit and 9 others like this.
    The sun shines
    And people forget

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    5145 times
    Nice, Congrats, you've got your own little silver mine there!
    SanMan, TheMastermind and A2coins like this.

us
    Feb 2012
    2894 times
    Coin roll hunting
    I wish my tellers were so watchful. Most of them forget who you are as soon as you step away from their window, even after months & years coming to them.

us
    Poet—Traveler—Soldier of Fortune

Mar 2012
    Pennsy
    1571 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dozer D View Post
    I wish my tellers were so watchful. Most of them forget who you are as soon as you step away from their window, even after months & years coming to them.
    I grew up with this girl, we dated in the past and she's good friends with my current girlfriend. We've known each other for almost 25 years.
    Sleepy Holow, SanMan, SD51 and 1 others like this.
    The sun shines
    And people forget

us
    Feb 2011
    Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
    50 times
    Talk about bad tellers. I went to cash in some loose pennies at the bank, and the bags were full, so they had to swap out the bags. The teller goes to dump the reject bin and I put my hand out and said I'll take that dump them in my hand trash and all. She quickly replied no and threw them in the trash barrel. How sad is that, I should have taken them out of the barrel but I didn't. My other bank gladly gives me the rejects.
    SanMan, A2coins, SD51 and 2 others like this.

us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    7432 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
    Talk about bad tellers. I went to cash in some loose pennies at the bank, and the bags were full, so they had to swap out the bags. The teller goes to dump the reject bin and I put my hand out and said I'll take that dump them in my hand trash and all. She quickly replied no and threw them in the trash barrel. How sad is that, I should have taken them out of the barrel but I didn't. My other bank gladly gives me the rejects.

well my, my, my, ----no cookies for her
    A2coins, SanMan and TheMastermind like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    37828 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Buy that teller lunch. That's awesome
    TheMastermind and SanMan like this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 185 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

CJ9
    us
    Dec 2018
    NYC area
    452 times
    CRH
    That silver Ike is a great find. Really nice to hear the sound of silver in the envelope.
    I was close to buying one, but I found one like 3 years ago - same date 1971S.
    TheMastermind likes this.

Sponsored Links