Opening rolls?

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I buy 2 boxes of halves every week, from one banking institution, hunt them and then take to various dump banks rotating between 5 branches of a different bank and get to see a lot of tellers doing it this way. I used to use a small screw driver to unroll the top of a roll, push the coins out into my hand, sort through the 20 coins and then push them back into the roll and squish the open end back onto the roll. Didn't look nice but they were back into the box and off to the dump bank. Over the past year I would see the tellers and they said they had to open the rolls and put them into the bag they use to return the coins to the place they go.

Since they had to open the rolls anyway, I started to use a razor knife to slice off the tops of the rolls making it much easier to push the coins out. Faster to reload the paper roll and easier for the tellers to get the coins out and into the bag. So far they all have told me they like how I give them the rolls and wondered if anyone else is doing it that way? I asked them to ensure they were happy with the way I returned the rolls as i want them as happy as possible and not shut me off with them as a dump.
How are you doing the rolls? I tried to get them to allow me to just put them into the bag and they all have said not allowed, they have to do it.

Upvote 0

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do whatever they tell me. I am out of the box game but if you can just get the bags from them, fill them at home and bring them full bags thats the easiest. I used to have to wait for them to credit my account that way. i think your way is the easiest if you want to walk out with your cash in hand after.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tear it open, take a look, toss the zonks into a canvas bag to be dumped into the coin counting machine by the teller.

Better way:
If you have a very good relationship with your dump teller, ask if you can use CoinLok bags for your dump. That is what they deposit with.

Basically, you would just hand over a heavy duty clear plastic bag that says there is $1000 worth of half dollars inside. They either hand you $1k in cash or deposit $1k into your account (sometimes there is a delay if they require the bags to be counted before giving credit).

OP
OP
W

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Would do that in a heart beat, they WILL NOT allow me to use the bags at all. So I have to return in boxes, also no coin machines here that don't charge 3 % if you have an account or not.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I give them back in the big plastic bank bag deposit them in my business acc for free takes a few days but easy peasy japaneasy

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My credit unit has a coin counter so I never rewrap anything.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My credit unit has a coin counter so I never rewrap anything.

Credit unions with free coin machines for members are the way to go. One of my credit unions went to free coinstars in mid-2019, so there is even a chance of finding a silver coin in the reject tray when dumping those skunk boxes. I found a silver quarter that way just two weeks ago.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would do that in a heart beat, they WILL NOT allow me to use the bags at all. So I have to return in boxes, also no coin machines here that don't charge 3 % if you have an account or not.

My fear is that our free coin machines will go the way of fees if the bank or credit union studies the use of the machines and finds that they are being used by CRH'ers with minimal account balances. For that reason, I went last week to my main credit union and started another CD for 10K - and explained to the bank manager that I was doing it only because I want the free use of the coin machines to continue. I prefer to buy dividend stocks that pay far higher dividends that have preferential tax treatment - but I am willing to have more skin in the game for a hobby like CRH. I link my support of the financial institution with their support of my silly hobby.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a couple years of dumping rerolled halves at a bank branch, the head teller finally agreed with me I should use bags for my coin deposits. She even provides me with the bags and my account is instantly credited because she trusts me. Perhaps this can happen for you?

At another branch of the same bank I deposit rerolled halves and they unroll them for before the courier picks them up. So far they’re against bags. Evidently at this bank chain it boils down to personal preference of the head teller.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Way too many banks out there to have to re-roll. I searched over a hundred grand and brought ‘em back loose or used a free counter.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed way more Credit Unions have customer accessible coin counters ( free for members ) Banks.. not so much - So I also never re roll anything - just dump em, and buy another box .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread