Which of these silver choices is least worse for stacking?

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
My half dollar boxes have been lacking for a while now. Still finding some silver now and then, but from time to time I've been having to supplement my silver addition with junk silver from the coin store. Recently I found that my LCS owner doesn't like Canadian silver, so much so that he sells it for under spot. So I've been buying up 80% for less than melt whenever the opportunity has presented itself. I've steered clear of the 50% silver, as well as coins from 1967 when you can't really tell whether they're 50% or 80%.

This got me to thinking: between 35% silver war nickels, 40% silver half dollars, and 50% and 80% silver Canadian coins, which is the most desirable (for future resale purposes)? Perhaps a better way of asking it would be which is least undesirable, as I've seen that none of these coins seem particularly desirable in bulk. However, the Canadian silver is the only one I've seen offered for less than melt, which is surprising to me since it has a pretty high silver composition.

Does anyone have any experience selling any of these? Any thoughts on whether I should keep snapping up the 80% when it's offered under spot?

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
This always makes me chuckle. I understand the thinking of needing "change" and small denomination silver coins to barter with in a SHTF scenario, but I personally don't believe it will be necessary. First off, if the economy collapses I think you will be VERY hard-pressed to find someone willing to trade necessities for hunks of shiny metal. If you should find said person or group willing to trade silver for food and other needed things, a single silver dime or war nickel isn't going to buy anything. It will likely take fistfulls (or more) of silver dollars/bars to buy so much as a can of nasty Vienna sausages. There will be no change given. The absolute best barter items will be the vice items - tobacco, drugs and alcohol. Even toilet paper could honestly be worth its weight in gold, so to speak. In that situation, weapons and ammunition will likely be the most valuable things in existence, but I don't believe I would trade something to someone that they can turn around and use to kill me and take everything I have.

I'm not expecting the zompocalypse anytime soon, but it does make for some interesting discussions.
I’m thinking it’s similar to being thrown back into the 1800’s. When gold and silver were money and used on a daily basis to barter. Value throughout history.

Buchsy

Oct 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
To me it all goes to the smelter. I buy all of it - 40%, 50%, 35% and 80% for the same reason and have done much better with those categories than the 90%. Often the 90% comes with a 10% premium over melt while the others don't. Yet, when it comes time to sell (when Ag goes to the roof in the next recession), only the content would matter to the smelter. If someone buys the coins as coins for melt at that time all the better.

I'm curious FormerTeller, what "X Face" have you been getting Canadian 80% common at? I've come across Canadian below melt too...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread