Which of these silver choices is least worse for stacking? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Which of these silver choices is least worse for stacking?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2009
    AR
    Minelab E-Trac
    1064 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerTeller View Post
    My half dollar boxes have been lacking for a while now. Still finding some silver now and then, but from time to time I've been having to supplement my silver addition with junk silver from the coin store. Recently I found that my LCS owner doesn't like Canadian silver, so much so that he sells it for under spot. So I've been buying up 80% for less than melt whenever the opportunity has presented itself. I've steered clear of the 50% silver, as well as coins from 1967 when you can't really tell whether they're 50% or 80%.

This got me to thinking: between 35% silver war nickels, 40% silver half dollars, and 50% and 80% silver Canadian coins, which is the most desirable (for future resale purposes)? Perhaps a better way of asking it would be which is least undesirable, as I've seen that none of these coins seem particularly desirable in bulk. However, the Canadian silver is the only one I've seen offered for less than melt, which is surprising to me since it has a pretty high silver composition.

Does anyone have any experience selling any of these? Any thoughts on whether I should keep snapping up the 80% when it's offered under spot?
    i don't have any experience selling any silver. With that said, I believe that the fact that you can buy the Canadian under melt makes it a clear no-brainer on which of the three different types you listed to buy. In your situation, I'm buying the Canadian.
    FormerTeller and markmopar like this.

us
    Dec 2009
    AR
    Minelab E-Trac
    1064 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EQ8 View Post
    IMHO, when the economy crashes, it would be wise to have LOTS of small denomination silver coins to do your bartering with.
    I prefer silver dimes for this purpose, but war nickels will be popular when that happens too.
    Stacking 1 or 5 or 10 ounce bars is nice, but who's going to give you change for that??
    I'd prefer to buy a loaf of bread with a war nickel or dime than a 1 ounce bar or coin...
    This always makes me chuckle. I understand the thinking of needing "change" and small denomination silver coins to barter with in a SHTF scenario, but I personally don't believe it will be necessary. First off, if the economy collapses I think you will be VERY hard-pressed to find someone willing to trade necessities for hunks of shiny metal. If you should find said person or group willing to trade silver for food and other needed things, a single silver dime or war nickel isn't going to buy anything. It will likely take fistfulls (or more) of silver dollars/bars to buy so much as a can of nasty Vienna sausages. There will be no change given. The absolute best barter items will be the vice items - tobacco, drugs and alcohol. Even toilet paper could honestly be worth its weight in gold, so to speak. In that situation, weapons and ammunition will likely be the most valuable things in existence, but I don't believe I would trade something to someone that they can turn around and use to kill me and take everything I have.

I'm not expecting the zompocalypse anytime soon, but it does make for some interesting discussions.
    FormerTeller and Megalodon like this.

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    3355 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieBassMan View Post
    This always makes me chuckle. I understand the thinking of needing "change" and small denomination silver coins to barter with in a SHTF scenario, but I personally don't believe it will be necessary. First off, if the economy collapses I think you will be VERY hard-pressed to find someone willing to trade necessities for hunks of shiny metal. If you should find said person or group willing to trade silver for food and other needed things, a single silver dime or war nickel isn't going to buy anything. It will likely take fistfulls (or more) of silver dollars/bars to buy so much as a can of nasty Vienna sausages. There will be no change given. The absolute best barter items will be the vice items - tobacco, drugs and alcohol. Even toilet paper could honestly be worth its weight in gold, so to speak. In that situation, weapons and ammunition will likely be the most valuable things in existence, but I don't believe I would trade something to someone that they can turn around and use to kill me and take everything I have.

I'm not expecting the zompocalypse anytime soon, but it does make for some interesting discussions.
    I agree with you - on all points. I also find it curious that we coin collectors often assume that the general public recognizes silver vs clad coins like we do. I don't believe we would be able to find many people who would accept silver coins in exchange for anything of value. I'm reminded of the videos of the guy offering a choice to people "on the street" of a free candy bar or a 1 oz silver bullion coin, 10 oz bar or even a 1/10 oz liberty gold coin. In every case, the person chose the candy bar.
    Sleepy Holow likes this.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2884 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    We used to throw the 40’s back. Times change.
    i have sold Canadian silver, it’s just a US vs CAD thing.
    As far as stacking goes? Lots of flavors, personally I like Mercury dimes as they’re fractional, and there’s no mistaking they’re silver at first glance, unlike the Roosevelt.

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2884 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    I agree with you - on all points. I also find it curious that we coin collectors often assume that the general public recognizes silver vs clad coins like we do. I don't believe we would be able to find many people who would accept silver coins in exchange for anything of value. I'm reminded of the videos of the guy offering a choice to people "on the street" of a free candy bar or a 1 oz silver bullion coin, 10 oz bar or even a 1/10 oz liberty gold coin. In every case, the person chose the candy bar.
    Those Mark Dice videos are entertaining, yet sad. Then again, those folks have no reason to want or know precious metals, so who can blame ‘em? If the need arises to barter with PM’s, folks would come up to speed very quickly. PM’s have held value throughout history, and how soon we forget.

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2884 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieBassMan View Post

I’m thinking it’s similar to being thrown back into the 1800’s. When gold and silver were money and used on a daily basis to barter. Value throughout history.

us
    Oct 2011
    42 times
    coin roll hunting
    To me it all goes to the smelter. I buy all of it - 40%, 50%, 35% and 80% for the same reason and have done much better with those categories than the 90%. Often the 90% comes with a 10% premium over melt while the others don't. Yet, when it comes time to sell (when Ag goes to the roof in the next recession), only the content would matter to the smelter. If someone buys the coins as coins for melt at that time all the better.

I'm curious FormerTeller, what "X Face" have you been getting Canadian 80% common at? I've come across Canadian below melt too...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links