Which of these silver choices is least worse for stacking?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Which of these silver choices is least worse for stacking?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Apr 2011
    1,838
    1322 times

    Which of these silver choices is least worse for stacking?

    My half dollar boxes have been lacking for a while now. Still finding some silver now and then, but from time to time I've been having to supplement my silver addition with junk silver from the coin store. Recently I found that my LCS owner doesn't like Canadian silver, so much so that he sells it for under spot. So I've been buying up 80% for less than melt whenever the opportunity has presented itself. I've steered clear of the 50% silver, as well as coins from 1967 when you can't really tell whether they're 50% or 80%.

    This got me to thinking: between 35% silver war nickels, 40% silver half dollars, and 50% and 80% silver Canadian coins, which is the most desirable (for future resale purposes)? Perhaps a better way of asking it would be which is least undesirable, as I've seen that none of these coins seem particularly desirable in bulk. However, the Canadian silver is the only one I've seen offered for less than melt, which is surprising to me since it has a pretty high silver composition.

    Does anyone have any experience selling any of these? Any thoughts on whether I should keep snapping up the 80% when it's offered under spot?
    washingtonian likes this.

  2. #2
    us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

    Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    3,761
    7354 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    remember the exchange rate on US vs Canada, a Canada $ is worth aboooooot seventy some cents US. not many buyers of Canada coins in any of the FIFTY SEVEN States
    A2coins likes this.

  3. #3
    us
    Poet—Traveler—Soldier of Fortune

    Mar 2012
    Pennsy
    2,121
    1560 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Canadian silver doesn't move for me, but I don't have very much so that might be why.

    I can always find a buyer for 40%ers. Always. So that'd be my pick for least undesirable.

    I sell in lots of $250 face value and end up haggling between three or four guys for the best price every time. I post on Craigslist and do all the haggling through a burner e-mail account.
    The sun shines
    And people forget

  4. #4
    us
    Mar 2018
    Bryant, WI
    Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
    638
    1549 times
    CRH, hockey cards
    I think it depends on your market. Personally I'd be more inclined to purchase war nickels simply because of the history involved, versus random date coin #3 because its silver...

  5. #5

    Sep 2012
    699
    535 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I'm with Rosco. I'd buy war nics at spot per ASW any day.

    Not sure I would so readily jump on 40% Kennedy or run-of-the-mill Canadian. I'd take Canadian dollars or halves at spot though.

  6. #6
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    15,481
    28190 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I'd stay away from Canadian silvers. Thought about US dimes? They are more popular than either war nickels or 40% Kennedys around here.
    port ewen ace likes this.

  7. #7
    CJ9
    CJ9 is offline
    us
    Dec 2018
    NYC area
    230
    412 times
    CRH
    I think in general (taking away any numismatic interest), 90% silver has the most secondary market value relative to 40% or war nickels.

  8. #8
    us
    Dec 2014
    16
    10 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMastermind View Post
    Canadian silver doesn't move for me, but I don't have very much so that might be why.

    I can always find a buyer for 40%ers. Always. So that'd be my pick for least undesirable.

    I sell in lots of $250 face value and end up haggling between three or four guys for the best price every time. I post on Craigslist and do all the haggling through a burner e-mail account.


    What kind of price (X FV) do you get for those 40% on Craigslist?


    Thank you.
    TheMastermind likes this.

  9. #9
    EQ8
    EQ8 is offline
    us
    Feb 2020
    Sw Wisconsin
    Equinox 800 Garrett Carrot
    119
    138 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    IMHO, when the economy crashes, it would be wise to have LOTS of small denomination silver coins to do your bartering with.
    I prefer silver dimes for this purpose, but war nickels will be popular when that happens too.
    Stacking 1 or 5 or 10 ounce bars is nice, but who's going to give you change for that??
    I'd prefer to buy a loaf of bread with a war nickel or dime than a 1 ounce bar or coin.
    Add to that, US currency will NEVER be priced below face denomination regardless of silver price.
    In the near term, also consider this for silver.
    IF the price were to jump to, say, $100, the market would flood SO fast that it would be worth next to nothing VERY quickly.
    Then it would talk a very long time to recover.
    So when do you sell as it goes up?? $40?, &50? wait for $100
    LOTS to consider when playing with "The Devil's Metal".
    (There are many reasons it is called that.)
    What IS "fact", is that silver was about $4 an ounce 20 years ago,
    and now worth about $17.50, so again, IMHO it's a great investment for a younger person.
    You don't stop playing because you get old..
    You get old because you stop playing

  10. #10
    us
    Poet—Traveler—Soldier of Fortune

    Mar 2012
    Pennsy
    2,121
    1560 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
    What kind of price (X FV) do you get for those 40% on Craigslist?


    Thank you.

    Last time I sold 40%ers was December of 2017, and I realized $2.40/coin.
    Bad Karma likes this.
    The sun shines
    And people forget

  11. #11

    Sep 2012
    699
    535 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by EQ8 View Post
    . . .
    What IS "fact", is that silver was about $4 an ounce 20 years ago,
    and now worth about $17.50, so again, IMHO it's a great investment for a younger person.
    It is tricky valuing precious metals in fiat dollars. If you adjust for inflation, spot price for silver was $13.50 100 years ago in reference to 2020 dollars ($13.47 for Feb 1920). However, there were swings to $5 and $115 between then and now. https://www.macrotrends.net/1470/his...100-year-chart
    Sleepy Holow likes this.

  12. #12

    Dec 2013
    Northern US
    Minelab 705
    214
    96 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I’d buy 40% halves because locally I can quickly sell them for $2.50-$2.75 each.

  13. #13
    us
    Apr 2011
    1,838
    1322 times

    Which of these silver choices is least worse for stacking?

    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    I'd stay away from Canadian silvers. Thought about US dimes? They are more popular than either war nickels or 40% Kennedys around here.
    I can and do buy 90% silver. My point however was that I can buy Canadian silver for under spot. I cant find other forms of silver anywhere close to under spot.

    I know that 40% silver halves, war nickels, and Canadian silver all have low premiums. My question was which has the lowest premium, and which of those three would be the best investment.
    Last edited by FormerTeller; Feb 05, 2020 at 08:27 PM.

  14. #14
    us
    Apr 2012
    Left coast
    Love to treasure hunt
    2,192
    2478 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Canadian 80% silver has more of a market and with better premiums.

    You can still get away with .800 and call it silver. 35 and 40 percent coinage is very low content, and you can’t make jewelry or other crafts with it the way you can 80% Canadian coin.

    40% halves do have an advantage in a survival situation. They are 60% copper. You are stacking copper for free ( you pay the storage fees though. In this extreme situation, the cost of copper could be quite high, and worth the efforts to separate the metals.

    Overall 80% Canadian imho is way more interesting than the other two options. Also, the ASW is Canadian silver coinage is easy to calculate! $1 Canadian equals .600 ozt silver. And it is Divided equally through the denominations, unlike the obtuse $1 American coin.
    FormerTeller likes this.

  15. #15

    Jun 2012
    Oklahoma
    Equinox 800, Ace 250
    451
    369 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerTeller View Post
    My half dollar boxes have been lacking for a while now. Still finding some silver now and then, but from time to time I've been having to supplement my silver addition with junk silver from the coin store. Recently I found that my LCS owner doesn't like Canadian silver, so much so that he sells it for under spot. So I've been buying up 80% for less than melt whenever the opportunity has presented itself. I've steered clear of the 50% silver, as well as coins from 1967 when you can't really tell whether they're 50% or 80%.

    This got me to thinking: between 35% silver war nickels, 40% silver half dollars, and 50% and 80% silver Canadian coins, which is the most desirable (for future resale purposes)? Perhaps a better way of asking it would be which is least undesirable, as I've seen that none of these coins seem particularly desirable in bulk. However, the Canadian silver is the only one I've seen offered for less than melt, which is surprising to me since it has a pretty high silver composition.

    Does anyone have any experience selling any of these? Any thoughts on whether I should keep snapping up the 80% when it's offered under spot?
    I've said in the past that at some point, the copper content could be a factor in valuing low silver content coins like 40% halves. I still believe it but we may be a few decades away. It's something to consider.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Stacking
    By mainejman in forum North American Indian Artifacts
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Apr 21, 2017, 10:33 PM
  2. New Series: Combining Silver Stacking + Coin Collecting
    By Quin in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Sep 01, 2016, 11:34 PM
  3. A worse investment than silver?
    By jim4silver in forum Precious Metal Prices
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Apr 11, 2015, 12:20 PM
  4. First Sluice .. choices choices choices
    By LRC253 in forum Sluicing
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: May 15, 2014, 10:30 PM
  5. 3 indians..4 silver..relics..Worlds WORSE LC and CW Token
    By Goes4ever in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Oct 11, 2012, 02:13 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0