Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried but could not find any W quarters so Im buying all 5 MS66 grade I have the Texas The Guam and the Lowell I got theses for about 40.00 dollars each. Why are the last 2 twice as much they made the same amount of those as the others is it because they are the more recently released should I wait for the prices to go down or will they remain the same. I know the mint is going to do this again with 5 Quarters in 2021 do you think that will hurt the value of these. I collect stuff I can afford to put away for the Kids for years down . Any thoughts thanks in advance Tommy

Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
From what I understand from Feebay, you are correct that the newer releases command higher prices as some people would pay more to get their hands on the newer releases first. If the mintage is the same and provided not a large amount is hoarded by someone, prices should drop eventually. If you'll notice on Feebay, even BU rolls of newer coins will command a higher premium over the previous year barring a low mintage change. Although, I think there is a curb when it comes to BU rolls of coins. They start off high in price, then drop off in price, and then go high again provided enough time has passed and the supply out there isn't too high. I recall a few months back, I noticed a $25 box of BU 1988 pennies sell for $350 on Feebay. Not sure if many people want to hold a box of pennies for over 30 years to get that profit tho. Hoarding and selling all at once can drop off market prices as well. IMO, if you're going to hoard, it's better to sell in smaller doses to maximize profit. I noticed there's just some astronomical large amount of circulated buffalo nickels being sold off on Feebay right now bringing the prices down a bit. I don't think I've ever seen such a large quantity of buffalo nickels being dumped on the Feebay market like that. Of course, some of these are dealers that need to unload quickly to make profit to meets the demands of their business so they probably don't have much choice but to sell at once.

Kinda like the prices being high for new movie releases on blu-ray in the beginning. The prices drop off as the movie gets older. Some people will pay a premium to get their coins, movies, other collectibles first.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks thats what I thought I saw that with the first quarters it just didnt seem to last as long as far as the price dropping as these ones have Thanks again.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are probably done dropping, maybe 10% more or $1 on an $11 coin still to go but not much. What we will probably get now are coins that have been through a coin sorter several times.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So better just get the last two I need. The way I look at it is the ms 66 I can afford the 67 grade makes the price way out of my reach but if they mint 2 million of each I would bet at least half of those will be circulated or ungraded so the graded ones will be more collectible cause there wont be nearly as many of those most will be in worse shape and not worth grading.....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI the Lowell NP MS-66 graded by PCGS has about 1,732 slabbed in that grade.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So better just get the last two I need. The way I look at it is the ms 66 I can afford the 67 grade makes the price way out of my reach but if they mint 2 million of each I would bet at least half of those will be circulated or ungraded so the graded ones will be more collectible cause there wont be nearly as many of those most will be in worse shape and not worth grading.....

Unless you can distinguish a MS-66 from a MS-67 found raw in a box (I can't), then you might be better off with a graded, slabbed example. The price you pay will be a bit higher than a raw coin, but not as much as you would pay to have a single coin graded and slabbed on your own, now that the prices have fallen.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ms 66 ones I have so far are slabbed 2 by pcge 1 by NGC I think it was but yep they are in the hard plastic with the grade on them I know alot of people like the pcgs over NGC does that make much difference

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ms 66 ones I have so far are slabbed 2 by pcge 1 by NGC I think it was but yep they are in the hard plastic with the grade on them I know alot of people like the pcgs over NGC does that make much difference

It wouldn't make any difference to me. But look closely at the coin itself rather than just the label on the holder. Sometimes a bag mark might be a distraction and a different coin of the same grade could be more appealing to you.

You are right about some folks having a slight preference for PCGS, but really, these are the two premium grading services and the eye appeal of the coin itself would be far more important than the label.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree I bought these on ebay so I didnt have a chance to inspect them up close, I have the Texas, the lowell, and the Guam, graded MS66 2 by pcgs the other Im not sure which it was by NGC. The last 2 I was waiting for the price to go down they are almost twice as much these 3 I got for about 40 dollars The last 2 the price hasnt gone down though they made the same amount I thought it was because they were the most recent but as Smokey said it doesnt look like the price is going down anytime soon.. Do you think that the mint is doing this again in 2021 will hurt the value of these west point quarters? Thanks Tommy

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the privy mark quarters were to be 2020. I could be wrong but it seems early for a 2021 announcement. It would be nice to have a crystal ball for pricing. It seems like the Mint has decided that there is no limit to special quarters.

OP
OP
A2coins

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People collect these for the purpose of being rare and collectible. Then they announce another round of 5 after they finished with the west point ones

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread