Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep hearing about people who go to their banks and ask for boxes or rolls of quarters that just came from the fed or mint and yet every bank I have asked that they tell me that they either don't know or get all their coins from the couriers such as Loomis.
Everything I have seen is a courier wrap.

Does the fed distribute the coins to the couriers who then wrap them or do they distribute to the banks?

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I knew. I once in my life got a brand new box of dimes from a bank. That was at least 5 years ago. All the ones I get are mixed quarters.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bet the WP, Denver & Philly mint facilities have lines of courier trucks waiting to pick up and truck the bags of coins to their facility for rolling & the Boston FRB is the same for paper notes. the Fed is an admin that just sits & watches-- what say Enamel & others:dontknow:???

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I knew. I once in my life got a brand new box of dimes from a bank. That was at least 5 years ago. All the ones I get are mixed quarters.

Same here. I got two boxes of new dimes last year. I've quit dimes. My quarter boxes are also mixed.

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of the banks in my area will sell boxes of any coins. They say it's cheaper on them to roll their own - the teller's eyes did look a bit glassy.

So I asked them what do they do when a business comes in for quarters and dollars for their change machines... instant blank face!

I have been with my bank since the age of 12, a VERY long time, and they wouldn't budge, so... I went to each of the nine tellers and got 5 rolls of quarters from each of them. By the time I got to the fourth teller, all the tellers were getting their coin rolls ready for me.

I did the same thing with pennies, nickels, and dimes at other banks.

All-in-all I had very few new coins compared to the amount I got.
-DH-

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
The Coin Depots sound like armored car companies, Loomis etc. So it is a matter of luck when you buy a sealed box of quarters what you will get. I always ask if they have new rolls and they say they can't tell and don't want to check each roll they have

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area coin are always wrapped by the couriers. Sealed in boxes and it's a surprise what's inside. Last year I had 18 boxes of new 2018 half dollars, but not a single 2019 quarter, dime or penny box... I was trying to search some 2019 quarters for the west point mark but could never find new quarters.

I believe all coin is distributed to couriers and rolled at the facility to distribute to banks

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I was at one of my banks yesterday getting pennies.(all I can afford). Spotted a bag of shiny quarters on the back counter. The bag had the bank logo on it????

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was at one of my banks yesterday getting pennies.(all I can afford). Spotted a bag of shiny quarters on the back counter. The bag had the bank logo on it????

I’m guessing the bag of shiny quarters came off of their coin counting machine. Quarter bags like this are usually “full” and pulled off the machine when they have $1000, which is 50 Lb (assuming all clad quarters).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions