Started to dump my Silver Stack, and copper hoard.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Since last Oct 2019 I had slowly been dumping back into the system all my copper cents ('59-81') that I've been hoarding ( hoping that something would give cause for them to become of value - no such luck ). I could not find anyone locally willing to buy them all off my hands for a small premium, so I decided to DUMP them back into circulation. At first I had thought that I only had about $200 FV. I've been stacking them (since about 2010) into the older style 32-oz Gatorade wide mouth bottles. To my surprise, as of last Saturday, my total dump so far was $875 with about 6-8 bottles to go. I wish now that I could have found a buyer.
Oh well, and like most of you had said all along, hoarding coppers is of no value gained only unless the Govt went off the penny standard.
AND, besides, I was also in need of spare cash to get buy.

Which brings me to the other subject of Dumping part of my silver stack.
Been checking around recently at some LCS, dealers, pawn shops, etc. to see what the current buy back prices have been running. Nothing great. Just last Sat went to a large coin show with my stack of 90% halves & qtrs, & 40% halves, was able to find one buyer and after a little quibbling, got a buy rate of 11.4 FV for the 90's, and 4.5 FV on the 40's. Granted that my CRH over the years has been mostly dimes, these halves and quarters were items found as a result of secondary search efforts and ALL AT FV. I still have the majority of my silver stack still intact along with my collections, which will eventually be sold down. I was happy however to walk away with a large unexpected stack of much needed extra cash, and made possible with pickups at FACE VALUE.
Comments.
And yes I still will continue to search for the elusive WHITE RIM of SILVER COINS, be it dimes quarters or halves. CRH is a hobby I enjoy, and all at FV.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the same boat with silver several years ago. Had the stash...needed the cash. It stung to sell, but a friend suggested looking at it as an emergency store of easily liquidateable assets rather than cherished collectibles. Bottom line - you made a business deal where you came out ahead. Nothing wrong with that, and, like you say, you can continue stacking.

Last edited:

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Had the stash...needed the cash... an emergency store of easily liquidateable assets rather than cherished collectibles.

This is exactly how I view my CRH finds and my bullion. I keep them in a safe deposit box in case I ever need to cut and run. Just kidding about that, but it is nice peace of mind knowing it’s easily liquidated and non-sentimental.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed ! you gotta do what you gotta do - I periodically sell down some stash ( halves picked up at face value CRH) . I CRH for fun - the thrill of finding silver coins at face value , is just fun . A quick free suggestion to other stackers , If you buy silver for investment ( short or long term ), Do not buy slabbed/ graded coins ! When you go to sell , good luck getting even close to what you paid for it !! Stick to tried and true, "constitutional" U.S. 90% silver coins (AKA junk silver), or well known Bullion fine silver rounds or bars - American Silver Eagles , Canadian Maple Leafs , Johnson Mathey , Englehardt , American Prospectors , etc. These products are well recognized ,and easy to liquidate. This is simply my opinion - based on experiences I've had buying and selling precious metals since the early 1970's .

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding an honest dealer and for negotiating a fair buy price for that silver. And you saved the shipping expense and mail worries. Perhaps you have made a good relationship with a buyer that you can now trust for future silver deals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions