Today, I Found It... the 2009-D District of Columbia DDR FS-801!

Wrapper Stacker

Greenie
Feb 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I search through 3-4 boxes of quarters every week. I check every 2009 District of Columbia reverse for doubling. I rarely keep them any longer, as I used to hold on to all of my 2009 quarters. I especially don’t keep the District of Columbia quarters as their mint figures exceed any other 2009 quarters.

However, I check every coin for doubling after I’ve completed my initial hunt through a box. As I was going through the 2009s, I thought “man, this one is in really good shape, I may just need to keep this one.” Then, I checked for doubling. To my surprise, it was the one I’ve been looking for on hundreds of District of Columbia quarters, to no avail.

In my Cherrypickers guide, it does not indicate a value. So, I went to PCGS: https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2009-d-25c-ddr-fs-801-district-columbia/510126. And that’s when I couldn’t believe what just happened.

I had found the 2009-D District of Columbia DDR-801, with a PCGS population of 13! The NGC is 8.

The only listing I can find online for this coin is for several thousands of dollars.

My mind is blown. And I will certainly send it in for grading.

6E581709-6178-46A0-B5FD-B7F5F1A257C9.jpg

Upvote 2

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Nice save and welcome to TNet. Have any pictures of the Obverse/Reverse without the closeup of the DDR? Update this thread if you do send it in for grading.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice save from circulation. Strange that it's only 3 distinct letters. Any other doubling signs on the coin.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I skip that issue --- the details are too fine to look for an error--- MY BAD:BangHead:---- YOUR GOOD:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye catching that I never knew either. Welcome also

OP
OP
W

Wrapper Stacker

Greenie
Feb 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save and welcome to TNet. Have any pictures of the Obverse/Reverse without the closeup of the DDR? Update this thread if you do send it in for grading.

I shipped it off for grading today to PCGS. Here are pictures of the entire coin:

105F0915-7084-42D9-A16F-8A71E22ED033.jpeg
B365EAB4-4C5C-432B-9321-2180DAB430AB.jpeg

It likely will be designated as circulated. But really, I’m fine with that as there are only 21 that have ever been graded between NGC and PCGS, combined, over the last 11 years.

I also think the demand for it is significantly higher and a much higher premium than the prices on PCGS, well, because only 21 are in known existence, and now mine, the 22nd. It is also on the cover of the Cherrypickers guide, with only 21 found before this one. So, I’m excited!!! :)

I should get the coin back from PCGS in about 5 weeks.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Looks to be in pretty decent shape. I would rate it as AU-50. Maybe AU-55 if one can get a better view of the obverse. Does PCGS also give it an actual grade with designation? When you search quarters, do you look for everything in the cherry picker's guide or just some types? Any other worthwhile ones other than W mint & silver coins? I know about the Wisconsin extra ear coins. Just tried 2 boxes of quarters and got nothing as expected.

Funny thing about trying to find the special ones, you can search forever and not find one. Someone else will find one easilly with luck. I've looked for a while for the speared bison 2005-D Nickel. No such luck yet and that is supposed to be easier to find.

Probably best non-silver coin I found was a triple clip Kennedy Half dollar in borderline AU-55/MS 60 condition. Always wanted to submit it to get it slabbed but PCGS charged $50 for error coins. No thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wrapper Stacker

Greenie
Feb 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be in pretty decent shape. I would rate it as AU-50. Maybe AU-55 if one can get a better view of the obverse. Does PCGS also give it an actual grade with designation? When you search quarters, do you look for everything in the cherry picker's guide or just some types? Any other worthwhile ones other than W mint & silver coins? I know about the Wisconsin extra ear coins. Just tried 2 boxes of quarters and got nothing as expected.

Funny thing about trying to find the special ones, you can search forever and not find one. Someone else will find one easilly with luck. I've looked for a while for the speared bison 2005-D Nickel. No such luck yet and that is supposed to be easier to find.

Probably best non-silver coin I found was a triple clip Kennedy Half dollar in borderline AU-55/MS 60 condition. Always wanted to submit it to get it slabbed but PCGS charged $50 for error coins. No thanks

I look for everything in quarters! :)
And I’m frequently reading books to keep myself familiar with the errors and varieties.

Yes, I paid for designation. Total cost was near $100 to get this graded. But, I have no choice with a coin this valuable. I can’t wait for the grade. I would be okay with a 55.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great find - and welcome to tnet. I'll have to look at these more closely than I have been (I do look at every Kansas 2005 and every Wisconsin 2004.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you didn't read everything correctly. The population and values you looked at were for coins graded MS-66. Your coin will be nowhere near that value. I'm afraid you overpaid.

OP
OP
W

Wrapper Stacker

Greenie
Feb 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you didn't read everything correctly. The population and values you looked at were for coins graded MS-66. Your coin will be nowhere near that value. I'm afraid you overpaid.

No, you are wrong with nearly everything you have said.

Yes, the population for the FS801 is accurate. There were 21 ever found prior to this.

There is no way to know the true value with a mintage that low. The only one available for sale in the world is MS67 and $3,500 on eBay. Is this MS67? Of course not. Is it valuable? Of course!

I overpaid?

I found it coin roll hunting. It cost me $0.25.

Read a post before dumping on it.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!!! I will have to keep my eye out for those to check!!!

Roll Hunting Family

Apr 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
This is so cool! What a find!

I feel like every day, I'm learning about some new error variety in quarters. I want to get a copy of Cherrypicker's Guide, but everywhere I look online, the damned thing costs hundreds of dollars. And I'm anti-Kindle. What's the deal here? Is is not possible to get a reasonably priced copy of this seemingly important book? What other options do I have for educating myself on errors and die varieties?

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woo hoo, congratulations! Can you please post full pictures of both sides. And, let us know how it grades. The PCGS Price Report is a shocker, good luck!

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woo hoo, congratulations! Can you please post full pictures of both sides. And, let us know how it grades. The PCGS Price Report is a shocker, good luck!
Oops, sorry I should have read down the complete thread. Congrats on the grade and I like this coin. I have been searching for it and have yet to find one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread