BIE error 1983 P Lincoln penny

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked up a box of pennies and found this in my second roll!

I was aware of the BIE errors on wheat pennies but never imagined I would find one on newer ones! After doing a little poking around on the net, it looks like there are several years with this error.
20077C89-97B1-4FDB-9BAA-0267B8F20309.jpeg 430A1A09-7FB8-4612-878A-E503E99D3DBC.jpeg

I am finding lots of wheat penny BIE errors on eBay but no memorial cents are listed.
If anyone has an idea of its value range it would be much appreciated.

Thanks and happy hunting!

Upvote 0

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
If someone offers you a nickel, take it and run! lol

It's a zincoln and they are prone to plating issues. I could be wrong and it could have numismatic value, but I doubt it.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol I hear ya on that.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$1 to $2. got a '93 or '97 aboooot a year ago. sold for over a buck. cudsoncoins lists the known BIE's for all years

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol I just noticed the build up of metal has made the B look like a E.

The first three letters now read LIE

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Internal die chips, such as the one you posted, are very nice to get. Most are worth between $1 and $5 dollars. The prices I am offered by collectors are consistently in that range. With Zincolns, you have to be absolutely certain it is not an odd shaped plating bubble. This can be accomplished, most of the time, by pressing a toothpick, or other softwood stick, onto the suspect formation. If the toothpick depresses the metal in any way, it is likely a plating bubble. This is the method I use after examination with a 20x loupe.

Time for more coffee.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Internal die chips, such as the one you posted, are very nice to get. Most are worth between $1 and $5 dollars. The prices I am offered by collectors are consistently in that range. With Zincolns, you have to be absolutely certain it is not an odd shaped plating bubble. This can be accomplished, most of the time, by pressing a toothpick, or other softwood stick, onto the suspect formation. If the toothpick depresses the metal in any way, it is likely a plating bubble. This is the method I use after examination with a 20x loupe.

Time for more coffee.

YUPP!!... what he said... that is a super nice one:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread