Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I weigh EVERY roll of EVERYTHING---........---- and... I see dead people:dontknow::laughing9:

like waiting for Heinz ketchup--- the anticipation..... of what's in a heavy roll adds to the thrill of the hunt:happysmiley:

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been thinking about doing some coin roll hunting and have a question. Has anybody used a scale to weigh a roll before opening it ? i know the fun in it would be to just open the roll and see whats in it but why not just weigh the roll and see if it tips the scale indicating there is more then just clad in it. Thanks for any input regards Craig.

Hey Craig. There has been a lot of discussion about it. Here's a few of the threads:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/309914-weigh-them-out.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...ow-many-you-crhing-vets-weigh-your-rolls.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/366952-todays-weight-dispersion-chart.html
www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-...l-if-there-silver-your-half-dollar-rolls.html

Some people weigh for fun. I think general consensus is to not rely on weight alone to decide to open the roll or not.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt count on that alone no way

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The sampling is too narrow to make a general conclusion that a roll is over or short. You can do it just for fun, but that's where it stops and either a complete date check or rim check comes in. Whatever makes you happy, remember, it's a HOBBY.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As everybody already noted - only weigh if you find it entertaining - not to ascertain anything ! I did this for a while - but honestly I prefer the surprise factor !

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure how to use the weight data once it is recorded. I switched from remarkably consistent boxes of halves at one bank to quarters because the halves were just not producing. I've been astonished at the shortages in the quarters. I've done 10 boxes and 9 were short by as little as 0.20 to as much as 3.25 - usually with nickles, but sometimes pennies between quarters in MWR rolls. I won't complain to tellers - but mention it here LOL.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know one person who always weighs first. I never have. Too many errors in the rolls, plus sometimes they are shorted with hollow coins and foreign coins, so it would not work for me.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I find no practical purpose behind weighing rolls. If the roll is a bit heavy, it could be silver, or a dime could have found a way in. In either case, errors, the real moneymakers, if any, will still have to be identified. If a roll is light, as in short a coin or two, that is the cost of doing business, and the roll still has to be opened to check for errors and silver. In short, weighing rolls, in my opinion, is a waste of time.

Time for more coffee.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems like a waste of time - Just open it and find out... Let's be honest, I'm going to open the roll whether it's heavy, accurate, or light anyway.

OP
OP
Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I will just open them when i make my first purchase. I will start small and buy 10 rolls of Quarter's. Thanks again.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I will just open them when i make my first purchase. I will start small and buy 10 rolls of Quarter's. Thanks again.

Best of luck to you. You might get hooked on a new hobby.

A word of caution though . . .

Starting small and starting with quarters are both a bit risky (risky as in likely to lead to disappointment/discouragement). Quarters are notorious for not producing much silver (although there are errors/varieties to be had). And, with slim pickings these days, the best countermeasure is to increase the volume searched. For example, if you search $1000 in dimes, you will find 3-4 silvers. If you search $100, you have a 30%-40% chance of finding 1.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

As suggested, stay away from quarters if you can, as a waste of time, money, and effort. Quarters are at the bottom of the silver pole, maybe finding 1 out of $5000. searched. Lucky the hunter who might find one out of a $500 box. Good luck trying, I take my hat off to you.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As suggested, stay away from quarters if you can, as a waste of time, money, and effort. Quarters are at the bottom of the silver pole, maybe finding 1 out of $5000. searched. Lucky the hunter who might find one out of a $500 box. Good luck trying, I take my hat off to you.

Exactly right - for silver. I have never found a silver quarter in a box. Quarters are searched for W mintmarks (have found 7 in last 10 boxes), errors, and varieties.

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My dads been CRH again recently, he weighs everything. OFC he still checks the whole roll for key dates and such afterwards.

ShinyPackRat

Oct 11, 2017
Montana, edge of nowhere
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best of luck to you. You might get hooked on a new hobby.

A word of caution though . . .

Starting small and starting with quarters are both a bit risky (risky as in likely to lead to disappointment/discouragement). Quarters are notorious for not producing much silver (although there are errors/varieties to be had). And, with slim pickings these days, the best countermeasure is to increase the volume searched. For example, if you search $1000 in dimes, you will find 3-4 silvers. If you search $100, you have a 30%-40% chance of finding 1.

I'll second (or tenth) this. If faced with the choice of getting one box of something, or ten boxes of a lower denomination, volume matters. Quarters have been very good to me so far, but I never prioritize them.. I'd rather get twenty boxes of cents for the same price! - with twenty times as much loot. Although I'll also say you'll eventually start to 'prefer' certain denominations over others. Personally, dimes drive me crazy.

I occasionally weigh for funsies but it doesn't influence whether I open a roll or not. I've noticed with dimes in particular, the weights vary widely enough that one silver can look like no silver (and vice versa). Like almost everything else in this hobby though, if it makes it more fun for you by all means go for it.

Last edited:

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I weigh the half dollar rolls for both fun and accuracy in the count. I used to sort the rolls by weight, but that got to tedious.

Fun: Occasionally(once or twice), I have found a silver in a roll weighing less than 225.3. Usually, silver is found in rolls weighing 226.3 or more, but I’ll find silver in the midrange 225.3 to 226.3. If it weighs over 227 then it usually contains a 90% coin, but sometimes a foreign steel. If it weighs over 226 then I might go through it more carefully than if it was below. Either way, weight alone does not determine silver content.

Accuracy: So, weight is not a guaranteed indicator of silver, but weight is almost 99.99% accurate about the number of coins in the roll. So, I can examine the roll without having to count it to make sure there are 20 half dollars before I drop in the dump bag. I have an unusual relationship with my dump bank; They take my $1000 in halves without running them through their counter. Their coin processor has never complained about being shorted and I’m super careful not to short them (but I did find a half dollar at the bottom of my canvas bag once...oops).

Anyway, I know this topic has been beat to death. So, I’ll stop beating it some more.

Keep on rolling!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions