Question for the coin collectors among us

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Since I am going through thousands of halves I thought of getting a book and see ifn I can fill it with (nice) halves from CRH. For my birthday 2 weeks ago my folks got ME a Dansco book for all Kennedy half dollars to present including Proofs. I am baffled on the first page where for '65, '66, '67 don't have mint marks but for each of those years there is a hole for an SMS coin also. See pic.
DSCN1287.jpg

Now by going to coinfacts.com under Kennedy halves I learn that SMS stands for "Special Mint Sets" I believe. How do you tell the difference from the SMS coin and the regular? I noticed that some of them 40%'s have a very nice, shiny finish while others more dull- is that the difference? I don't want to just plug all the holes- I want to see if I can find all the coins to plug the holes with. By the way that '70 looks awesome in there- check it out.
DSCN1281_edited.jpg

HH and Thanks for any help, Mark

Upvote 0

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
n_sandler4 said:
I honestly couldn't tell you how to tell the difference...I'd just buy a SMS coin from a dealer to fill those holes....

Good call.
64 proofs are also a mystery to me.

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
You guys are alot of help LOL. I saw a cameo '64 proof on ebay, graded real high and so was the "buy it now"- I'm talking thousands- won't be buying one of those. I haven't even gotten to digging through my silver yet to fill those spots- havin too much fun hunting for more- good weekend work when the banks are closed. Rearin to go another month- got a healthy record to improve on haha. HH Mark

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
mountainman 2 said:
If there are any coin shows in your area, stop by and ask questions and maybe see a sample of both a regular and SMS half side by side.
Thanks MM, I hadn't thought of coin shows- I will look into that. I been to 2 out of the 3 coin shops in town with dismall results. I wasn't asking about this subject though. Hopefully the last coin shop will be a productive stop for ME as I need some answers and could handle unloading some 40%'s. HH all, Mark

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
I actually have found crhing some of the SMS. I would have to check them out later, pretty sure 65, 68 and 69. They look very close to proofs. That 70 D is beautiful. I found 2 of those and 1 70 S. Nice book too, my whitman is pretty lame, but only $3.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Special Mint Set coins are actually more common in circulation than one might think. They look a lot like regular circulation strikes. Most of you veteran CRHers have probably found quite a few but didn't know it. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread