KING SKUNK COLLECTION for sure.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Did my rounds yesterday getting dime boxes.
Half way through my route, stopped at a branch bank. She didn't have any MWR boxes but several CWRs. Bought $250 worth. Later last night started checking those CWRs. I assumed that these might be from different sources since some of the rolls were of different paper styles & texture. Naturally you all have been there when you got CWR that you have a slight chance of silver more than if it were MWR box. I also assumed that these could be a dump from various other hunters. As I was rim checking into several rolls I started to notice that the coins in EACH of the rolls were of the same texture as to mint luster & color. I then started to look at the dates. WHOOOA, each roll was a complete roll of the same date & mint mark ( I.e. full rolls of 1968-d, 71-p, 78-d, 82-p, etc etc). There was NO mix of coin dates/mm within each roll, ALL THE SAME. It was as if this person was collecting dimes as the years were progressing along, but not to the extent of getting & saving them as BU rolls as one would expect. The coins were NOT in BU condition, but normal circulation in grade. I kept hoping along the way that this person might just drop by accident some SOLID SILVER rolls of the same dates, just didn't happen. Although this was a SKUNK BOX, it was also a sign of a COMPLETE COLLECTION DUMP, however no silvers included. In all my years of CRH I have never encountered CWRs of complete rolls of same dates within the roll, with each roll a different date.
I wonder now, just how MASSIVE this dump was made on this branch, and to whether there were other denomination dumps (cents, nics, qtrs. halves). Could I have missed something bigger than what I was seeing, I'll never know. But for sure, in my eyes, this was the KING SKUNK of ALL DUMPS that I had ever come across.
Although there was not a single silver dime within all those rolls, I had to proceed checking each and every roll with expectations of a possible SOLID ROLL, the way it was going.
Excuse me now while I go wash my hands with TOMATO JUICE to get the smell of this Skunk off my hands. And yes, this will go down on my tally sheet as a skunk box.

Upvote 0

MotherOfGeeks

Apr 26, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
Other
That is fascinating. I have to assume that the silver rolls were retained by the original collector or family members.

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm confused you stated that you got skunked, but also referred to full rolls of 1968-D. Was that just a typo?

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I'm talking dimes not halves. Sorry for any confusion, would have loved if I were doing halves with these dates.

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy am I bad, I should have read the post a little more closer than I would have realized that you were talking dimes and not halves. I guess you know where my mind set is, yup halves for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread