103.5 to 1

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't tried, but if you go to bgasc.com, they are not accepting any orders over the weekend (they usually do), and they cite a large number of orders that they have received - so people are buying.

What I don't understand is why is silver down to $14.70/oz. I get that industrial use demand will fall, but US interest rates are lower and even on a relative basis compared to the rest of the world, they are now lower, so you would think that silver would rise. The only thing i see is that the US $ has appreciated somewhat in the last week or two, and a stronger dollar usually means lower metals prices - but the US$ isn't up that much.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
My guess is lower current industrial demand, and lower anticipated industrial demand in the foreseeable future. I notice that gold fell, silver fell harder, and palladium absolutely tanked. Great time to get in if you can IMO

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't tried, but if you go to bgasc.com, they are not accepting any orders over the weekend (they usually do), and they cite a large number of orders that they have received - so people are buying.

What I don't understand is why is silver down to $14.70/oz. I get that industrial use demand will fall, but US interest rates are lower and even on a relative basis compared to the rest of the world, they are now lower, so you would think that silver would rise. The only thing i see is that the US $ has appreciated somewhat in the last week or two, and a stronger dollar usually means lower metals prices - but the US$ isn't up that much.

Since the fed just squirted out some 700 billion in fiat money, I believe you will see the dollar weaken?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
FormerTeller,?
Actually, we're heading back into waters charted years ago. As a former teller, do you remember when $1 silver certificates could be exchanged the same day for $1.50 in change at your LCS? Or do you remember $5 silver and $300 gold? Hopefully, we're not going there now--but we've been there before and within my business career.
Don......

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Since the fed just squirted out some 700 billion in fiat money, I believe you will see the dollar weaken?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes that is what I think, the dollar will weaken as the Fed cut and went to QE. However, given that Europe may be considered a bigger disaster, the US$ may hold up relative to other currencies near-term. Metals are getting smashed today because I think people don't want to own any asset at the moment - they are hoarding cash (and TP). As such, the usual factors that drive metals prices higher are not in play, IMO.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My local shop has pulled all 10-ozt., kilo, and 100-ozt. bars, only selling 1/2 ozt. Maples for $9 a piece and slabbed coins.

I asked if that's all he had, he said that's all he's selling right now.

Smh.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
FormerTeller,?
Actually, we're heading back into waters charted years ago. As a former teller, do you remember when $1 silver certificates could be exchanged the same day for $1.50 in change at your LCS? Or do you remember $5 silver and $300 gold? Hopefully, we're not going there now--but we've been there before and within my business career.
Don......

I’m afraid silver certificates were before my time, but I do recall $300 gold and $5 silver - a 60:1 ratio. My point was that this is the highest ratio of gold to silver in over 100 years, possibly ever.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Stopped into the local coin shop this morning, was 10th in line and watch him selling 5 oz bars for $6.10 over spot! Guy in front of me complained and the shop owner said last week you could have bought the same bars at $1.25 over spot. I left and two more were coming in the door, not me buy silver at that rate.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Stopped into the local coin shop this morning, was 10th in line and watch him selling 5 oz bars for $6.10 over spot! Guy in front of me complained and the shop owner said last week you could have bought the same bars at $1.25 over spot. I left and two more were coming in the door, not me buy silver at that rate.

People need to accept that regardless of what the melt price, the demand sets the price. It's laughable to think that a dealer will be selling at $13/oz. Their costs haven't gone down in the past decade+. They pay for the same groceries/gas/utilities/etc. than the consumer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread